Planning a 10/22 Survival model. - Page 9 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:01 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks very much for that input JTJ. I will make a note of that.

It has been over 65 years from when I as a boy wandered round the farm in Kenya shooting for the pot with my father’s first .22 BSA single shot Martini action rifle. It had a great set of peep sights.

I knew nothing about the theory/science of shooting, only that ammunitions was rationed (that was imposed during the Mau Mau Emergency), we only had a small annual allowance, and expensive. That made accurate shooting very important

I was after Guinea Fowl, Duck, Geese, Small antelope, Duiker, Thomson's Gazelle, Reed Buck, and only once an Impala. My Grandfather had gone from being a prolific hunter to ardent conservationist and got pretty steamed up about only wounding and losing anything my cousins and I were allowed to go for. He felt that Impala was getting on the big side for a .22LR. That did change when I got my BRNO Hornet.

In his early days when he first started the farm there had been Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, Lion and Leopards to name but a few of the variety of game. By the time I came along there were no Elephant Rhino Buffalo or Lion. There were still leopard but they were very hard to spot and very shy.

Only saw a young one once, he went racing up a tree and I went racing in the opposite direction. One shot, and a .22 at that, did not give me any confidence at all.

They had been quite a nuisance with the calves and sheep and Granddad had done quite a bit of culling in the early days. His favourite ‘cat gun’ was the 12bore and SSG, but as he used to add "you have to do that at close range."
Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having ordered the Holosun x3 Magnifier right after it was announced at Shot Show 2019, and received written acknowledgement...when they returned and caught up, it has been slightly disappointing not to have heard from them.

The Website is now advertising the new optic, however saying it is sold out.
https://holosun.com/index.php?main_p...0774421d1977e0

Called them up today and got Sean Halloway who confirmed they got my request for one, and the acknowledgment that we would be contacted as soon as the consignment arrived.

It now seems there is one there for us and an order form has been sent. We will buy it and look forward to seeing just how this product will perform.

For anyone interested there is another dealer, with them available at:
www.botach.com

We look forward to a comparison between this and the Vortech, which we had been about to buy.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:38 PM
10ring1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resasi View Post
Thanks very much for that input JTJ. I will make a note of that.

It has been over 65 years from when I as a boy wandered round the farm in Kenya shooting for the pot with my father’s first .22 BSA single shot Martini action rifle. It had a great set of peep sights.

I knew nothing about the theory/science of shooting, only that ammunitions was rationed (that was imposed during the Mau Mau Emergency), we only had a small annual allowance, and expensive. That made accurate shooting very important

I was after Guinea Fowl, Duck, Geese, Small antelope, Duiker, Thomson's Gazelle, Reed Buck, and only once an Impala. My Grandfather had gone from being a prolific hunter to ardent conservationist and got pretty steamed up about only wounding and losing anything my cousins and I were allowed to go for. He felt that Impala was getting on the big side for a .22LR. That did change when I got my BRNO Hornet.

In his early days when he first started the farm there had been Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, Lion and Leopards to name but a few of the variety of game. By the time I came along there were no Elephant Rhino Buffalo or Lion. There were still leopard but they were very hard to spot and very shy.

Only saw a young one once, he went racing up a tree and I went racing in the opposite direction. One shot, and a .22 at that, did not give me any confidence at all.

They had been quite a nuisance with the calves and sheep and Granddad had done quite a bit of culling in the early days. His favourite ‘cat gun’ was the 12bore and SSG, but as he used to add "you have to do that at close range."

Cool story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 07:35 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you 10ring1. I still have a home there and go down every year but those days are long gone. Hunting is almost non existent, and very limited bird shooting. In fact there has been a massive crackdown and re-licencing of all firearms is going on right now.

Sadly poaching is still going on though much more under control now.The freedoms that you have in the US are rare in other parts of the world and well worth protecting.

Putting this little rifle together has been a real pleasure. My boys enjoyed learning to shoot and I am sure my Granddaughters will too.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sometimes things work the way you hope they will and sometimes they do not.

In our build we had been delighted with our choice of the Holusun 503GU Red Dot sight. It worked superbly, and when we contacted Holosun for a part had been delighted with their customer service.

Now that we were using the rifle, the scatter in groups over 50yds, certainly in mine, were an inducement to try and improve this and the search was on for a cost effective solution. A magnifier we decided might do the job, and still be a flexible accessory, rather than a scope.

The hunt was on and I felt Vortex might be the answer, when suddenly at Shot Show in January Holosun announced their x3 Magnifier. It seemed the answer from above, and I immediately tried to contact Holosun to put in an order for one.

Unsurprisingly everyone was at the Show, however I then quickly received the reply that my request had been received and that ours should be in the first batch of orders.

Since then there seems to have been a slight breakdown in communications, and the process has taken rather longer than anticipated. However I have today received an email confirming that our Magnifier will be dispatched on Mon.

Now looking forward to seeing how this takes our project forward, and how it can help us use our rifle more effectively.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:37 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got news that the magnifier has arrived and I will be in Tampa by Wed and keen to get to Shoot Straight to see how it works out on the 100yd range.

Because I think it means we will have to use the high mount for the Red Dot, I decided that we would also have to switch to the alternative high cheek riser on our Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock. We have really liked the Backpacker Stock. It fitted both of us fine even without the thicker butt pad that you can get. The compact size and the space it made available for carrying extra ammunition and EDC items, and, as designed, enabled the take down to be kept in a compact package.

Problem then arose. When my son changed job location he had sent all his remaining stuff home to Florida and that should have included the Higher Cheek Comb, however after a big search it was nowhere to be seen. Went to the Magpul site to see about a replacement. There is one advertised for the Hunter but not the Backpacker, so contacted Mike Pasciuti in Tech Support.

Mike had previously been most helpful when we first bought the stock, and once again responded immediately. He has not only found one, but it is ordered and on its way courtesy Magpul. I had been delighted by their customer service already but this was really impressive, and, highly appreciated. Thank you Michael that certainly has brightened my weekend.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had two tries at getting a Picitinny rail that would accept the Holosun magnifier. The first seemed out of tolerance and was returned. The second rail the magnifier would fit on however only the two outer holes in the rail lined up with the 4 holes on the receiver.

I had thought that the position of these 4 would be standard for both receivers and for rails? Is this the case or are they at the discretion of the manufacturer of the receiver?

Since all this had taken far longer than expected I elected to go ahead with the rail only held by the two outer screws, having spoken the the gunsmith at the range who felt the the recoil of the .22 would probably not be severe enough to require all 4.

I have now decided that this is possibly not the case as after about 100 rounds the screws had begun to work loose despite have a little blue lock-tight on them. I had not wanted to over-torque and strip the threads on the receiver but may now either try and get the inner two holes drilled into the rail that correspond with receiver, or another rail with all 4 holes that line up.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My confusion with the mounting holes on our replacement rail was a complete newbie mistake. The second rail we got, on removal and inspection is completely compatible and I, assuming the holes were symmetrical had reversed it. With the rail now held on by 4 screws and completely firm was taken for a spin and after two hundred round was still completely firm.

The Holosun magnifier is for me saw a great improvement in my grouping at 75 yds and I was able to hold a consistent 1’ grouping at the 75yds where I had decided to zero our long gun. I really liked the generous eye-relief, the glass is very clear and I did not have to apply any corrections to get the red dot centred.

I was able to quickly remove and replace the optic using the quick release with no changes required. I fact I removed both the magnifier and red dot, after marking their positions on the rail, to recheck the rail mounting screws, replaced them both and was delighted to see the POI remaining almost exactly what it had been. This project is now almost complete. My son wants the suppressor, and to cerakote the barrel the same colour as the stock, choose a sling and we will be there.

Both the Holosun optics have I think been great value for their price point, worked perfectly and a delight to have on our little project.
The accuracy of this little take down has been consistent from the start and the Backpacker stock a very clever and innovative design that allows it to be stowed away in a minimum of space while carrying a number of useful items inside the stock.

Last edited by Resasi; 04-13-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the range today and decided on 200 rounds for practice. I had managed to get some pretty satisfying groups at 75 yards our chosen dead on POA a couple of days before but had found the rail loosening at around 100 rounds.

Had re-tightened but then found in loosening again, so had researched a bit and found that removal cleaning of the screws and holes with alcohol/brake fluid/acetone then carefully applying some Blue Locktite might help solve the problem. Had Vodka so decided to try cleaning with that.

Did that this morning then left it for a few hours to cure. I gather 20 mins is a minimum but 24 hours is optimal. Since my son was free today in the afternoon it was just a few hours. The range was extremely busy but we managed to get a last lane on the 100yd range.

Both optics and rail had been completely removed, for the prepping and application of locktite but I was optimistic that we would at least be on paper at 75...which we were. About an inch and a half right, and inch and a half low.

Glad to say my son still holds a tighter group...in the beginning. We both shot 100 rounds each at both 75, then out to 100, holding high on the 100 yds. The table indicated around 3.1” high but we both found around 2.5” using CCI Mini Mag seemed to do the trick.

His groups were getting a tad looser and mine for some reason now tighter than his, although I have noticed that I do tend to settle down the more I shoot

After 100 rounds I decided to see how the rail was holding so off came the optics. Rail was nice and firm. Optics back, minimal adjustment and we were back on/around the bull at 75 and then out to 100 holding high.

Very satisfying afternoon at the range and my son seems pretty happy with the gun.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:24 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back at the range this morning, do love to shoot. New exercise was moving the target from 50 to 75 to 100 and using 'Kentucky Windage’ to feel for the bull. Son needed the car so had to keep it to 100 rounds but exercise working well and the bull was being ‘felt’.

Tomorrow will be going from 50 to 100 yds at 10 yd intervals and see how that goes. Loving that magnifier.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well never did get the chance for that last exercise. Had a small medical emergency with one of the granddaughters, luckily nothing serious, then time to return to London.

Weather has improved over here, still not what it was in Tampa, but Summer coming so that to look forward to. Not sure when I’ll be getting back to our almost finished project.

We never did get to put the foresight and rear peep on. The budget right now has put a hold on the suppressor, but as she is now we have a neat little survival rifle that is accurate, light and compact. Stows away neatly and can carry ammo and items in the stock.

I am completely in love with the Ruger 10/22, it truly is ‘everyman’s gun’ that can be customised to your every particular need or wish. Really grateful for all the feed back advice and help I got from the kind friendly and helpful individuals on the Forum and very happy with what we have got so far.

Hopefully will be back when we get those last few things done, in the meantime good building/hunting for all of you pursuing your dream ‘Ultimate’ Ruger.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was interested to at last see some recent reviews being done on the x3 Holosun Magnifier which we think is pretty darn good and great value. Loved it from the time it came out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk004NQqHc4

Another review which I did not think as good, however, anybody with astigmatism might be interested in, as he was saying that without his prescription glasses he was getting hits out to 400yds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gienUQIQZ8

We were only shooting ours out to 100yds, but then with a 10/22 and .22LR that’s about a practical range.

That Heart of Texas reduction brings that magnifier to a really unbeatable price $175.

Last edited by Resasi; 05-31-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:32 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just seen another recent and positive review on the Holosun x3 magnifier from a shooter whose previous favourite was the Eotech X3.

A considerably more expensive option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHABLkjIgeY
Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The positive aspect of having to wait for the budget to allow the addition of ‘goodies’, is that new improved models come onto the market. In our case the Silencerco Switchback.

My son is having some ‘life’ issues eat his disposable income, and I having handed over the project was following some of my own, slightly more expensive projects, a single seat autogyro, when I happened to see that Silcerco have come out with a 22 project that beats their Sparrow, which we had decided on as the last item on the rifle.

Certainly looks good, with a versatility that exceeds the Sparrow. Having a bug-out survival rifle that can be suppressed according to terrain and circumstance is something worth having.

The Switchback now looks as though it may be our new go-to suppressor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwzKwOYcOKs
Old 10-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do have to add that this piece of possible legislation might just remove that last item from the to-do list.

The Silencer Ban.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ceP-8ey_ow