Planning a 10/22 Survival model. - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks and hi TacticalCanuck. Probably need someone to give me a quick pointer of how to post a picture.

I certainly enjoyed the process of being able to have a look at the various parts that went into the build, deciding how much importance each brought to the overall equation against cost, then sourcing those parts.

The 10/22ís massive popularity meant a huge selection of almost every part at a great variety in price.

We were looking for a Ďcheap' reliable accurate bug-out compact, come plinkster, that he could use to upgrade his kids from their BB gun which they have started on while keeping ammo costs down. That is what we have ended up with and we have both been extremely satisfied with the result.

It is small, light, and accurate. Nearly all the range staff seemed interested to have a look at it and commented favourably on how conveniently it broke down to carry.

It is short however this did not seem to detract from being able to shoot accurately with it, even without the thicker butt pad. It fits neatly into the small Pelican tool box my son had and wasnít using.

We did like the Holosun red dot. Very nice to use.

The only remaining addition we may finish off with, would be the Williamson Ace in the Hole Peepsight Picatinny, but that will necessitate sending the barrel away to their gun-smithing section to have a ramp foresight fitted with the fibre optic filament.

We put over three hundred rounds through it in the three visits we did to the range in LA and are now shipping it back to Florida. No miss-fires or jams, very accurate, but didnít really enjoy loading the mags too much. A bit fiddly and not very finger friendly, probably will invest in a mag loader. Not quite sure whether the Butler Creek or the Champion.

All in all a very enjoyable project with a nice little long gun at the end of it.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do wonder how difficult it would have been to do everything we did, but have had it in the Magnum version.

The receiver and barrel would probably have been a problem.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On looker a bit closer the Ruger Magnum 10/22 was made during two periods but discontinued due to bolt cracking issues.

They had used tungsten bolts due to the extra weight they felt needed to cope with the greater recoil from the higher velocity Magnum rounds. Although still 30-40 grain the velocity is upped by the bigger charge to almost two times what the .22 long rifle achieves. But being a more brittle metal these bolts then experienced cracking due to impact stress.

A firm called Select Fire tackled the issue and decided to provide stronger recoil springs and different buffer pin( R25P) and returned to the steel bolts. I was not however able to determine if the receivers were made in the take down style. They only do an 80% build with the buyer completing the build

It would seem that Rugerís experiences with the magnum put them off, and Magnum Research who have also tried, get feed issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another point with the .22 Cal was up to what sort of ranges could one expect to be hitting targets. Generally not too far, say 30-75...but it can go further.

Was interested to see this with Veteran88 and Plinkster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dn-bqyMkfs

Which led me to this rather interesting Optic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=F7QCN1RRwT4

For a red dot.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Id94SBAyxbY

Which by the use of flip down lenses, shift the image up and down for varying ranges, and doing away with the need for allowances, or, varying the sight physically. Pretty neat.

Last edited by Resasi; 03-25-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:02 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have been thinking of adding a magnifier to our red dot. Have been searching the Forum to see who has used what.

A point that was raised was the fact that any magnifier also magnified the red dot. One thing I like about the Holosun red dot we got was the fact that we can alter/ and reduce our dot.

Have looked at the Vortex and UTD, thinking the Vortex even with the price diff due to the fact that the UTG did not seem as stable and seemed quite wobbly.

Wondering if anyone has experience with these on a 10/22 and can give some thoughts?

Have had a response back from Vortex. In order to use the magnifier we would be obliged to use the tall mount for the Holosun. Still not sure about the space needed on the rail though.

Last edited by Resasi; 04-02-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
At those short ranges, the height of the optic above the bore has a big impact on POI/elevation. If you think about it, if you're sighting in on something right in front of the bore, the optic has to point downward, which effectively is pointing the muzzle upward at a longer distance. So between 10 and 25 yards, the bullet's arc is still travelling up, then will be travelling downward at 50...
This is definitely an issue with our latest idea of using a Vortex magnifier. Found out from Mike Tassoul at Vortex that we would have to use the tall mount for the Holosun for us to be able to use them together, but he also felt that there would be room for both on the take-down receiver rail

Using it for plinking and target shooting was one thing, but using it as a survival rifle on small game is another. While some game could be close quite a lot will not be, and a magnifier could make quite a difference in chances of successful kill.

But, the higher they are mounted the bigger the kill zone possibility of error in the rise and fall due to range variance from a chosen zero aim point.

Concern over a higher cheek weld, possibly take care of with the supplementary higher cheek comb so thoughtfully provided by Magpul.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:49 AM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
SHTF 10/22 Rifle

Primary goals were a rifle that could be used for hunting small game & close range (out to 50yrds) self defense with proper ammo.

The purpose of this post was to provide readers with idea's for building an all weather multipurpose rifle.

Update: 08.12.2018 - apparently my post wasn't taken as intended, so I delete it.

Last edited by MannlicherFan; 08-12-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:38 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@MannlicherFan I am slightly puzzled as to why you should post this on this particular thread.

Surely you would be happier starting your own thread about your own project?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannlicherFan View Post

The purpose of this post to provide readers with idea's for building an all weather multipurpose rifle.

In case the previous post was not clear.

The general form is that this Forum is wide open for you to begin a thread of your own, on your rifle, with your suggestions and advice, not to tack it onto someone else's.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quick update. Just been back to the US for my sonís move to his new house. The bug out we built has come across from LA in bits on various trips.

After most of the moving and work on the new place had been done I had a chance to take it down to Shoot Straight in Tampa for a quick check to see how it would do. It had been completely stripped down with even the optic and rail having been take off so I was interested to see how the sighting had been effected after reassembling.

Unfortunately they did not have the multiple bull targets we had been using at the LA range but did have one with multiple circles with stars in the centre.

Began with the 15yards we had last sighted in with five rounds to each circle for three circles. Was interested to see that it held a tight group half an inch low and right on each. Two sets of adjustments had it back fully centred.

The next hundred rounds confirmed that it holds a tight group at ten fifteen and twenty, by twenty-five it does spread to about an inch and half but thatís just me and I did not have our rest which was still back in LA.

Very happy with it. Next move will probably be the Vortex magnifier as my eyes are not what they used to be, but pleased that we have the Holosun with the variable intensity/size reticle.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had not been that happy with the loading of our standard 10 round Mags. They were new, the spring was tight and my thumb ended up sore. My son had been loading my mags so on my own I had decided to change things.

The Ruger 25 round mag and Butler Creek speed loader arrived and I set out to Shoot Straight with eager anticipation. It appeared to load as advertised and with 25 rounds I started out.

My son had bought a cheap lot of Ely Target ammo which was on sale. Ely has a good name and I had used it as a kid in Africa. Started out fine then a problem. Mag off and clear the round noticed a dent in the case and groove on the nose. Couple more rounds then another jam.

The problem appeared to be the way the rounds were feeding with the nose catching rather than sliding up, then into the chamber. Was it the fact that it was un-lubricated lead and not as smooth as the copper covered round we had been using? Spring not pushing rounds up quite right? The front magazine ramp not quite position right? Was it the rounds themselves?

The Butler Creek speed loader seem to work Ok but I did notice a small dent in the side of the loaded rounds. Was this slight deformation causing the feed problems.

Switched to CCI Mini Mags. These did seem to feed better from the 25 round Ruger Mag but still a couple of failures to feed. The 10 rounders were doing fine on either type of round and accuracy seems as good. With the springs slightly softer and me getting used to loading them I ended up using them alone.

I contacted the gunsmith at the range and he felt it could be the magazine. Might go for the three 10 round mags joined together, and I think we will contact Ruger about the 25 round mag.

Very happy with the takedown bug-out we created, the Magpul stock, the Ruger trigger, the barrel and the Holosun red dot. Shoots nice tight groups and I feel it is as accurate a rifle as any non take-down that I have shot including a Swiss friends mach rifle. Great little rifle.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This site is just the best. Was trying to trouble shoot the BX feed problem

The BX-25 was quite tight when fully seated so this left the problem most likely in the mag itself.

A cure which we will be trying first is this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TnidIpBLw

Should that not solve the issue the fall-back will be this. A bit long winded but essential fixing any wobble in the mag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSTumIx5tL0

Between the two hopefully fixing the problem.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You mentioned a magnifier. Have you considered a prism scope?
Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The BX-25 mags are notorious for causing problems. Many people have experienced similar results as you, myself included using them. I stick with the OEM BX-1 10 round mags now and they've never given me any problems. Check out the Alangator Tri-mag connector. Holds 3 10 round mags and they snap right in and you just tighten it up with a large slotted screw. No mod needed to the mags and it works as advertised.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
The BX-25 mags are notorious for causing problems. Many people have experienced similar results as you, myself included using them. I stick with the OEM BX-1 10 round mags now and they've never given me any problems. Check out the Alangator Tri-mag connector. Holds 3 10 round mags and they snap right in and you just tighten it up with a large slotted screw. No mod needed to the mags and it works as advertised.
Nick that was indeed the next item we were headed for.