Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If it was me, I would buy a basic Ruger Charger (or make one on a 80% receiver), put a threaded barrel on with a folding pistol brace and a receiver mounted optic. IMO that would be more versatile than a take down rifle and you could carry it with a concealed pistol permit in most states. It is essentially a pseudo SBR.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think that is correct, if you wish the optic on the barrel, then you may need to change that block.

Still thinking of mounting the optic on a grooved picitiny mounted on the receiver. Grooved to allow the use of the Williamson rear peep, which is why I was looking into a dovetail groove on the muzzle for the Williamson foresight.

If that is not practical then I believe there is a mounting ring available for the foresight.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
If it was me, I would buy a basic Ruger Charger (or make one on a 80% receiver), put a threaded barrel on with a folding pistol brace and a receiver mounted optic. IMO that would be more versatile than a take down rifle and you could carry it with a concealed pistol permit in most states. It is essentially a pseudo SBR.
Have looked/considered going the modified Charger route but prefer to try it this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
I believe the barrel the OP described is based on options on the custom page. The link won't show the selections, but entering them (16.25" blue threaded, contoured), assuming polished blue (no charge), and thread protector ($15), the price comes to $195. In stainless ($25), the price goes to $220.

Personally, if the price exceeded $200, then I'd consider other options:
https://www.1022rifle.com/buy/ruger-takedown
Well I got my response from Mcgowen barrels this morning.

Cost would be $175.00 for the barrel + $30.00 for the muzzle threads + $35.00 for a dovetail + shipping. They gave no indication of what time they required though asked.

So $240. Opting for the Pike Arms barrel at almost 1/2 that price found by jam. Stainless tapered and threaded for $119.99 +$12.50 for shipping and insurance. Invoice was $132.49.

I was concerned about one thing I saw in the instructions.

11. Your Pike Arms replacement barrel is not ready to attach to your receiver assembly identically to the original Ruger factory barrel. From the shooters perspective, rotate the adjusting knob counter clock wise to its full travel and install the new barrel. It should have plenty of room and should actually be loose in the rifle. Once the new barrel is installed and rotated into position, turn the adjusting knob clockwise to tighten the barrel into the receiver locking mechanism.

Wasn’t sure that loose in the rifle is such a good thing. I would rather it be tight and if needed sand it down. I know the tightening screw will hold it securely but was wondering if a loose initial fit can give any degree of droop.

I have not been able to find out much on the web about either manufacturer, however since I am not going for a match grade rifle I am now going with the TI Pike Arms barrel. It has been ordered and is on the way.

Then either get a foresight dovetail cut, or get a sight adaptor for the foresight, which I have seen available.
It is specced to Ruger barrel standards or better, and they are reputed to have a reasonable accuracy.

The bits I will need for the locking block appear to be
KB00085 - Locking Plunger
KB00083 - Locking Plunger Detent
KB00081 - Locking Lever
B00086 - Spring, Locking Plunger
B00091 - Screw, Mounting Cap Screw
B00084 - Block

So now looking for those.

Last edited by Resasi; 01-03-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:20 AM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resasi View Post
It should have plenty of room and should actually be loose in the rifle. Once the new barrel is installed and rotated into position, turn the adjusting knob clockwise to tighten the barrel into the receiver locking mechanism. [/I]

Wasn’t sure that loose in the rifle is such a good thing. I would rather it be tight and if needed sand it down. I know the tightening screw will hold it securely but was wondering if a loose initial fit can give any degree of droop.

I have not been able to find out much on the web about either manufacturer, however since I am not going for a match grade rifle I am now going with the TI Pike Arms barrel. It has been ordered and is on the way.

Then either get a foresight dovetail cut, or get a sight adaptor for the foresight, which I have seen available.
It is specced to Ruger barrel standards or better, and they are reputed to have a reasonable accuracy.

The bit I will need for the locking block appear to be
KB00081 - Locking Lever
B00084 - Block

You might get more info and guidance in the Takedown part of the 10/22 forum.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
You might get more info and guidance in the Takedown part of the 10/22 forum.
Thanks rawhp I’ll do that. I have been scouring through various sections for info and there’s a ton of it to find.

One sight set that does not need a muzzle dovetail and designed for the standard taper 16.25” barrel is the Trueshot 1022 tactical target sights with a clamp on foresight, hopefully there are others.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The barrel to receiver can't be tight like a non-takedown, otherwise you could never take it down. The point of the instructions is to loosen the barrel retention ring when you install for the first time.

For the takedown, you put it together, tighten the ring with the barrel on (finger tight) and then take the barrel off and give it a few more clicks to tighten.

I've done it to where assembling take some effort, but not so much that you are wrestling to lock it in.

Those instructions would be the same for any first time Takedown barrel install.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
The barrel to receiver can't be tight like a non-takedown, otherwise you could never take it down. The point of the instructions is to loosen the barrel retention ring when you install for the first time.

For the takedown, you put it together, tighten the ring with the barrel on (finger tight) and then take the barrel off and give it a few more clicks to tighten.

I've done it to where assembling take some effort, but not so much that you are wrestling to lock it in.

Those instructions would be the same for any first time Takedown barrel install.
Thanks, sounds good jam.

Magpul X-22 stock is now ordered and on the way together with quick release swivels and mounting kit $211.95.

Ruger BX-complete trigger assembly ordered and on the way, $101.95. Had good reviews, light crisp trigger pull 2-3lbs.

Tactical Industries/Pike Arms 16.25" Stainless Steel, tapered, suppressor threaded barrel on its way $132.49 (Thanks to you.)

Finally managed to get complete Ruger locking assembly for the takedown barrel from the factory. $35.90

We still need the Takedown receiver, mags, sights, grooved picatiny receiver rail.

The Volquartsen bolt assy $235, seems bit steep. Standard bolt assy got from S&P $45.99 (might change pin, extractor, then polish and round off hammer push.)

So around $529 so far with the receiver mags, sights and rail to go to finish a basic bugout, without suppressor and red dot.

On a waiting list for S&P basic takedown receiver theirs is $99.99 and probably ship that to our chosen SSL Shoot straight in Tampa as their fees were so much more reasonable, $35.00, that any I have found in LA. Some of them charging pretty crazy prices, the most reasonable was $60 + the State fees, others way higher.

It is mounting up, but then we did aim to get a bit more than just an off the shelf takedown.

Last edited by Resasi; 01-03-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:38 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While looking at the Williams peep sights I was getting excited about having to cut a dovetail in the takedown barrel we are getting from Pike Arms.

Had a word with Alex Sivil in Williams tech support who had some good advice.

Quote:
Look into drilling and tapping the front of your barrel versus having a dovetail cut directly in the barrel.

For your purposes, you will need a pretty tall front sight and will be a step ahead of the game with a higher dovetail than a lower

It’s definitely a tapered barrel, so you will need the front barrel diameter to get the correct fit on a ramp; but best bet will be a combination height shorty ramp and bead (
https://williamsgunsight.com/product...s-shorty-ramp/
https://williamsgunsight.com/product...-narrow-widths
Since this would seem a more economical, and practical solution, have decided to try this route.

Next step was to get some dimensions of the barrel muzzle width, unfortunately these were not immediately available, but have emailed Craig in tech support at Tactical Innovations.

Hopefully with these we can get a foresight ramp of the correct height.

Still waiting for my son to register with Gunbroker so we can bid on the takedown receiver.

There are not that many out there it seems, unless prepared to pay over $400 for a Tacsol or Kidd, which at the moment we are not.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:15 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Son registered on Gunbroker and has bought the 10/22 breakdown receiver, factory, new, black, for $98.00 +shipping

Still waiting for muzzle dimensions from Pike Arms on the 16.5’’ barrel so we can get the correct size ramp for the William fibre optic foresight.

This should then complete the items needed for the basic rifle. Then will choose the Red dot Optic, and, with an eye to the budget the Sparrow Suppressor.

Assembly and range test to follow.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 AM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well I got my response from Mcgowen barrels this morning.

Cost would be $175.00 for the barrel + $30.00 for the muzzle threads + $35.00 for a dovetail + shipping. They gave no indication of what time they required though asked.

So $240. Opting for the Pike Arms barrel at almost 1/2 that price found by jam. Stainless tapered and threaded for $119.99 +$12.50 for shipping and insurance. Invoice was $132.49.

I was concerned about one thing I saw in the instructions.

11. Your Pike Arms replacement barrel is not ready to attach to your receiver assembly identically to the original Ruger factory barrel. From the shooters perspective, rotate the adjusting knob counter clock wise to its full travel and install the new barrel. It should have plenty of room and should actually be loose in the rifle. Once the new barrel is installed and rotated into position, turn the adjusting knob clockwise to tighten the barrel into the receiver locking mechanism.

The bits I will need for the locking block appear to be
KB00081 - Locking Lever
B00084 - Block

I get the wanting a customized rifle but that sure seems like the long (and expensive) way around the block just to have a take down survival rifle. Ruger makes a 16" stainless threaded take down. Throw a set of peep sights on it and you should be good to go. If want to get even more survivalist, pop the butt plate off and store stuff in the stock or cut a hole/slot in it to insert the barrel when taken apart.

But hey, to each his own.

Last edited by mac66; 01-08-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I get the wanting a customized rifle but that sure seems like the long (and expensive) way around the block just to have a take down survival rifle. Ruger makes a 16" stainless threaded take down. Throw a set of peep sights on it and you should be good to go. If want to get even more survivalist, pop the butt plate off and store stuff in the stock or cut a hole/slot in it to insert the barrel when taken apart.

But hey, to each his own.
Yup, you did get it.

It’s personal choice, and the 10/22 is unique in the proliferation of parts that make it possible for everybody to indulge in what they feel will make that rifle suitable for exactly what they want from it.

Expensive, yes, a bit more than the average Wally World offering that you seem happy to go with.

But as you finally arrived at why we do it...it is indeed, each to his own.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Opened up the package from Magpul last night.

Huge disappointment!!!

They’ve sent the wrong stock, they sent the Hunter instead of the Backpacker. Contacting them when they open today.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 PM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Opened up the package from Magpul last night.

Huge disappointment!!!

They’ve sent the wrong stock, they sent the Hunter instead of the Backpacker. Contacting them when they open today.
Better than a lump of coal. Maybe more like telling grandma you want an RC car for Christmas, and getting a cigar instead...it's the thought that counts .
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmm, guess that could depend on the cigar, there are some out there that cost a darn sight more than an RC car. https://www.cigar.com/p/gurkha-his-m...igars/1411151/

Well, along with the thought, Magpul customer service have been very good about it.

They responded to my email immediately, sent an MRA pre-paid label to return the stock, and will refund the balance since the X-22 Hunter is more expensive than the X-22 Backpacker.

Mike and Amanda who are in Admin and sales have been most helpful, Mike pointing out a sling item we had sent that was only for the Hunter which we will also return.

I have decided that as my son is taller than me may need the thicker but-stock pad as it is quite compact. Unlike the Hunter where the taller cheek comb is an extra, in the Backpacker both are sent with the order which is nice

Last edited by Resasi; 01-11-2018 at 07:11 AM.