Planning a 10/22 Survival model. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I did find this which explains the difference between the two receivers quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxldyuqXGuY

I also saw where someone had begun with a Charger (with the takedown receiver) and then gone on from there. An expensive way to begin though.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...1022-takedown/

Found a TacSol takedown receiver...at $478. Even more expensive way to begin.

Last edited by Resasi; 01-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:05 PM
rahl07

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you build, now is the time to buy it:

JWH has an OEM trigger group for $30 bucks
https://www.jwhcustom.com/product/jw...-nitride-bolt/
(I know the link says nitride bolt, he has some problems with the website's addresses currently, this should take you to OEM trigger group)

tuneup kit for it for an additional $14
https://www.jwhcustom.com/product/jw...et-hammer-kit/

and a completely assembled bolt minus charging handles for $39
https://www.jwhcustom.com/product/jw...dard-cnc-bolt/
Old 01-01-2018, 12:15 PM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resasi View Post
I appreciate my son’s concerns and desire for a good bug out bag and weapon.

The calibre choice was .22.

Looked at others but weapon of choice, 10/22 Ruger take-down.

One can buy ready prepared interpretations of the ‘ideal’ 10/22 survival rifle, but decided against other peoples ideas, and, paying a premium for their ‘assembly’.

Williamson Ace in the Hole sights which will allow a quick remove optic and also a suppressor. Suppressor and optic, quick on and off extra features if/when needed/afforded.

Comparable suppressors, the AAC Element 2 and SWR Spectre II. SWR cheaper, Sparrow easier to clean. Ease of maintenance, cost, weight, and impact shift, all variables to be considered.

Hopefully this is a KISS light basic setup,....
Will this weapon be shot regularly, or spend most of its life in the bug out bag? How many bricks of ammo does he plan to carry in his bag? I assume when stuff hits the fan, that he'll be conserving ammo, and not plinking with hundreds of rounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2018, 01:07 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can forget about a suppressor in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornistan.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:56 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I did however note that Gun Broker appears to be some sort of bidding site so perhaps one might end up paying a bit more than the $97 initial price. Any other people selling takedown receivers?
Gunbroker supports different approaches. Bidding or "buy now" options. The $97 was a buy now price.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:12 PM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He could carry more ammo and save space if he goes with this lighter weight option:

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/mer...egory_Code=GLK
Old 01-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rawhp, probably shot quite regularly. Certainly when I get over, and he is presently teaching my granddaughters how to shoot. Ahead of you on the AA Glock conversion, seen that and thought it neater than pockets on a shirt. It’s on the list. He does see getting a long gun though.

Jam, yes saw that and tried to get the FFl gunsmith nearest to him on the phone to get it for us this morning right after I got your link, but public holiday. Trying again tomorrow.

FlysALot, no I do understand that short barrel doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t group well. Those look pretty good. What range can you go out to and still hold a reasonable group?

JTJ, probably build in LA but it’s for FLA, so will get the suppressor there.

Thanks for the links rahl07.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Going with the 22lr in a suppressed rifle and carrying a pistol with a heavier round is an excellent way to go. I dont care what the scandal plagued FBI says the 40 is a better round than the 9 but it is heavier. 9=38/lb while 40=28/lb and 357 mag 125 grain go 32/lb Always things to consider. 40 S&W ARX rounds (107 grains @ 1350) would lighten the load (maybe 40/lb) but I have not personally not tried or weighed them. 22lr is 136/lb.

Last edited by JTJ; 01-01-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Think I may have found where to go for the barrel.

http://mcgowenbarrel.com/product-cat...oduct_count=36

Prices seems reasonable, can specify what is wanted, which isn’t anything too exotic.

10/22 takedown,16 1/4” Blued steel, 1 in 16 twist, light, sporter profile fast-tapering from diameter of 0.920in at the receiver down to 0.498in at the muzzle, threaded 1/2X28, , standard dovetail slot at muzzle to fit the True shot Tactical front sight, that will allow for both Optical and peep.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:33 AM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Think I may have found where to go for the barrel.

http://mcgowenbarrel.com/product-cat...oduct_count=36

Prices seems reasonable, can specify what is wanted, which isn’t anything too exotic.

10/22 takedown,16 1/4” Blued steel, 1 in 16 twist, light, sporter profile fast-tapering from diameter of 0.920in at the receiver down to 0.498in at the muzzle, threaded 1/2X28, , standard dovetail slot at muzzle to fit the True shot Tactical front sight, that will allow for both Optical and peep.
Looked it up and 2 thoughts.
Given the FL climate, you might want to consider stainless barrel. Here is one at TI - Stainless for $119 Looks like the one you picked has a stainless option as well...
Second is the length - the one you picked is 20". You might want to consider the shorter 16" for packability.

One added thought - The TI one doesn't come with the barrel mount, but I think (you'd have to confirm) that if you are going the route of Magpul backpacker with the barrel mount, that replaces the Takedown Barrel block anyway, so that should serve both purposes in this case.

jam

Last edited by jam_ppp; 01-02-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
Given the FL climate, you might want to consider stainless barrel. Here is one at TI - Stainless for $119 Looks like the one you picked has a stainless option as well...
Second is the length - the one you picked is 20". You might want to consider the shorter 16" for packability.
I believe the barrel the OP described is based on options on the custom page. The link won't show the selections, but entering them (16.25" blue threaded, contoured), assuming polished blue (no charge), and thread protector ($15), the price comes to $195. In stainless ($25), the price goes to $220.

Personally, if the price exceeded $200, then I'd consider other options:
https://www.1022rifle.com/buy/ruger-takedown
Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post

One added thought - The TI one doesn't come with the barrel mount, but I think (you'd have to confirm) that if you are going the route of Magpul backpacker with the barrel mount, that replaces the Takedown Barrel block anyway, so that should serve both purposes in this case.

jam
Thanks jam, looks like a good find and I've added it to the build notes.

With regard to the takedown barrel block I called Magpul and confirmed from them that with the X-22 the barrel has to have the standard Takedown Barrel Block for the X-22 stock which I am guessing can be purchased.

I have emailed Mcgowen and enquired about price availability and cost, but good to have an alternative, and at what looks a pretty reasonable price. I had specified taper and 16.5” length, but hadn’t considered stainless, but a good consideration.

That one by TI looks good, I do want the taper. I guess I can get a dovetail for the foresight added?

Last edited by Resasi; 01-02-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
I believe the barrel the OP described is based on options on the custom page. The link won't show the selections, but entering them (16.25" blue threaded, contoured), assuming polished blue (no charge), and thread protector ($15), the price comes to $195. In stainless ($25), the price goes to $220.

Personally, if the price exceeded $200, then I'd consider other options:
https://www.1022rifle.com/buy/ruger-takedown
Thanks for that link rawhp. I think your advice on price is valid, particularly with the link jam has posted.

Do however want a tapered barrel.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been going through the hoops to get the receiver to LA. It is a bit of a process. At the risk of being lengthy and of posting redundant info. (Moderator please delete this post if this is the case.)

Need a California Personal Firearms Eligibility Check (PFEC) from the Dpt of Justce (done by your local FFL holder) under his Dealers Record of Sale (DROS) Purchaser must present "clear evidence of identity and age" defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Proof of California residency, such as utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification), and either (1) possess a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with their recently purchased handgun or (2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

It must be kept in a secure locked container or locked with a locking device that rendered it inoperable. No more than 10 round mag allowed.

Total state fee is $25. DROS fee $19.00 covers costs of the background checks and transfer registry. There is also a $1.00 Firearms Safety Act Fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement Fee. In Private Party Transfer (PPT), the firearms dealer may charge an additional fee of up to $10 per firearm. For transaction is not a PPT the dealer may impose other charges as long as this amount is not misrepresented as a state fee. When settling on the purchase price of a firearm, you should ask the dealer to disclose all applicable fees. Cost to do a transfer in which the firearm is being shipped to the CA FFL dealer by a non-resident, another FFL or a CA resident is not regulated by the state. So, a CA FFL dealer can charge any amount to do this type of transfer. Transfer fees range from $50-250 depending on the CA FFL dealer.

Firearm Safety Certificate must score at least 75% (23 correct answers out of 30 questions) on the FSC Test covering firearm safety and basic firearms laws. The true/false and multiple choice test administered by Instructors certified by the Department of Justice generally located at firearms dealerships.

New-resident registration requirements.You are considered a personal firearm importer as defined by California law. You may bring any of your California-legal firearms with you, but must report them all to the California Department of Justice within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Firearm Ownership Report (BOF 4010A), pdf. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machine guns, or assault weapons.

No firearm registration requirement in California (except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun.) But must submit a Firearm Ownership Report (FOR) Application (BOF 4542A), pdf to the California Department of Justice (the Department) for any firearm you are seeking return where no other record is on file with the Department identifying you as the most recent owner/possessor.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
With regard to the takedown barrel block I called Magpul and confirmed from them that with the X-22 the barrel has to have the standard Takedown Barrel Block for the X-22 stock which I am guessing can be purchased.
Watch the video. I think it shows for the optic mount that it replaces factory block