Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Planning a 10/22 Survival model.

Hi all. Newbie, Ex UK Marine. Familiar with escape, evasion, and basic survival, I appreciate my son’s concerns and desire for a good bug out bag and weapon. As an ex HC deputy sheriff in Florida he had some idea of what might be required if/should things break down for whatever reason, and his chosen firearm is a Glock 27.

Concerned with the weight of .40 ammunition he felt necessary to carry, I felt that a small compact survival rifle could perhaps expand his survival envelope and reduce the amount of .40 carried. The calibre choice was .22 the cheapest, lightest, most readily available in quantity, quiet, and lethal when placed correctly.

Looked at others but weapon of choice, 10/22 Ruger take-down. Built in huge numbers, the 10/22 is the most available dependable and customisable rifle in the US, with the widest range of individual parts. It can be built to be very compact, light, quiet, dependable and accurate. (cheap, or as expensive as you can afford.)

To build from scratch or buy one and customise? What parts? Basic questions on which I hope to get feed back from this forum. Everyone has their own ideas on what to put on, these mine. I know that all probably have drawbacks, aspects I might not know about, competitors that are simply better, cheaper, better quality or lighter, and finally newer products I do not know about.

One can buy ready prepared interpretations of the ‘ideal’ 10/22 survival rifle, but decided against other peoples ideas, and, paying a premium for their ‘assembly’. The choice was to build, and joining the forum, as an ideal source of informed opinion.

Ruger does not sell just receivers, and some custom receivers cost as much as the basic rifle. So I will possibly look for a stock receiver for sale from gun shop, pawn shop, or gun fair, or, just buy a basic takedown and sell the parts I do not use.

With a basic receiver, I would want a better than standard trigger/trigger pull, so have considered the Volquartsen trigger assembly with auto bolt release, polyurethane buffer, extended bolt handle and exact edge extractor. Magazines Ruger standard 10 round or VX25 Magazine or VX25 x 2.

Next consideration the barrel. Light and not too long. I would like to look for 16.5” blue/black alloy steel barrel with typical Sporter profile fast-tapering from 0.920in at the receiver down to 0.498in at the muzzle tapering. 1 in 16 twist, 1/2X28 threaded, with a front sight dovetail.

To go with that barrel would be the Williamson Ace in the Hole sights which will allow a quick remove optic and also a suppressor. Suppressor and optic, quick on and off extra features if/when needed/afforded.

The stock I would choose would be the Magpul X-22 stock. About the most compact way to carry/store in a backpack, with space in the stock for extra ammo, cleaning gear, tools, and extra small personal survival EDC items. I would add a paracord 2 point sling with Magpul quick disconnect swivels.

A Silencerco Sparrow with a 1” diameter fits in front without obscuring the Williamson front sights, and can screw on and off easily. Sparrow is expensive, but quality product, small and light and can be used with all kinds of ammo, but, also requires a second Fed permit and tax.

Comparable suppressors, the AAC Element 2 and SWR Spectre II. SWR cheaper, Sparrow easier to clean. Ease of maintenance, cost, weight, and impact shift, all variables to be considered.

Optic. Small, light, cheap, rugged. Probably a Micro Red Dot rather than a scope. Lots to choose and a wide range of prices and quality. I gather the new Bushnell TRS25 is not as good as the older model which set the standards for value for money. Holosun 403g is nice, but, twice the price. A two step quick release mount for quick on and off of the optic.

Hopefully this is a KISS light basic setup, with the scope and suppressor nice to have’s but not vital. You can get quite/ subsonic ammo and the two hole Williamson peep a great sight that is better than the basic Ruger sight.

It is an initial attempt at looking at some parts that address some of the issues involved in a small light compact survival rifle. Not the cheapest, lightest, but incorporating features I thought perhaps deserved looking at. Be most appreciative for feedback. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:46 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the 10/22 takedown. I have one in stainless.
Some things to consider:
  • You do want to tighten the barrel nut as much as you can to maintain accuracy and zero when assembling. Also if it's loose you can get some flex on the fore end and that can move POI on a receiver mounted optic.
  • Assume you mean the Backpacker stock. You can get about a 1/2 inch length of pull extension if he needs it. Are you considering the barrel mounted optic option magpul offers? . Mounting the small optic on the barrel may be worth considering.

jam
Old 12-31-2017, 07:16 PM
John A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Without getting into the whole caliber debate, if using it to hunt for food and evasion is high on the list, choosing a 22 and with a suppressor should go hand in hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2017, 07:26 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Starting with the receiver was wondering if with the build above anyone has any advice on my obtaining the Kidd receiver? $170.0 seems reasonable when compared with Volquartsen though I do understand one sometimes get what one pays for?

I did watch the video on the site and have been a bit concerned about the cautions on barrel/receiver tolerances.

This in particular perhaps because it is intended as a take-down rifle.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:43 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
I like the 10/22 takedown. I have one in stainless.
Some things to consider:
  • You do want to tighten the barrel nut as much as you can to maintain accuracy and zero when assembling. Also if it's loose you can get some flex on the fore end and that can move POI on a receiver mounted optic.
  • Assume you mean the Backpacker stock. You can get about a 1/2 inch length of pull extension if he needs it. Are you considering the barrel mounted optic option magpul offers? . Mounting the small optic on the barrel may be worth considering.

jam
Thank you jam for that advice on the barrel nut. Being completely unfamiliar with the Ruger any tips on it are gratefully received. When I was working in the US in the 60’s I did buy the AR-7 and took it back to Kenya as a fun rifle to stick in the back of the car but only did some occasional plinking with it.

I have never had optics on a rifle. I had a single shot Martini Action BSA .22 with peep sights that had been my dad’s, and the BRNO Hornet I had just had open iron sights. Loved the pee p sight.

I have shot my son’s long gun, AR-15, which had a red dot but that was only once so my exposure to them has been minimal. Mounting the optic on the barrel sounds sensible.

He is much taller so the extension could be good, and yes was aware that is an option. The two boys both had different skills, the oldest beats me on the rifle I beat him with shotgun and pistol. The youngest is hot with the pistol but I beat him with rifle and shotgun.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
Without getting into the whole caliber debate, if using it to hunt for food and evasion is high on the list, choosing a 22 and with a suppressor should go hand in hand.
You are right, and I certainly get with quiet. The good thing with .22 is the possibility of having subsonic/quiet rounds, but it is intended to get the Sparrow. The paperwork and tax bit does bite a tad though.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:21 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now getting a little concerned with buying an aftermarket receiver and barrel as I gather that there is a special takedown insert that Ruger does not sell and insists is fitted at the factory?

If that were the case would it mean buying the takedown and accepting whatever barrel that comes with it?

There does seem to be some choices but just the 18.5" or 16.4” lengths but this may mean that I am not going to be able to go to the market place and choose any barrel.

Last edited by Resasi; 12-31-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:37 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
1st Post...TMTR.....

Too much stuff to read for a first post... I can't keep focused that long LOL if you're thinkin" survival rifle, there are wayyyyyy too many variables to consider. my survival needs may be completely different than yours....
Old 12-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
You will never see any sort of repeatable accuracy from a take down rifle. (unless it's a purpose built Kidd slip fit)

I've owned and sold -4- Ruger takedown 10/22's every one of them was useless accuracy-wise.

Go build/buy a TacSol SBX. Short barrel/suppressor ready very very accurate, light and handy. A perfect bug out rifle with amazing accuracy.
Thanks FlysAlot. I had looked at the SBX but your post took me back to a 2nd look. A Little shorter than what I believed was an optimal length, but it did tick boxes.

I liked that their extension protects the suppressor in a fall as it is only on a short thread if unprotected by their cage.

With regard to accuracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdUF8U26aYY

Last edited by Resasi; 12-31-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
Too much stuff to read for a first post... I can't keep focused that long LOL if you're thinkin" survival rifle, there are wayyyyyy too many variables to consider. my survival needs may be completely different than yours....
True. Everyone has different needs, and you seem to have a short attention span. LOL.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:14 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resasi View Post
True. Everyone has different needs, and you seem to have a short attention span. LOL.
Very short attention span & very much OCD. I hate reading anything long! Forum posts, long email, Text messages, etc. My thought is, "cut to the chase & lets address the issue!

Speaking of short attention spans......You can't imagine how many projects that I have started that have went unfinished or morphed into something else.....

Every time I get a new stock the first thing I do is figure out how I would change it to make it better for me. OCD is an evil *****! Maybe that's why I have so many stock that are unfinished.....
Old 01-01-2018, 01:01 AM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resasi View Post
Starting with the receiver was wondering if with the build above anyone has any advice on my obtaining the Kidd receiver? $170.0 seems reasonable when compared with Volquartsen though I do understand one sometimes get what one pays for?

I did watch the video on the site and have been a bit concerned about the cautions on barrel/receiver tolerances.

This in particular perhaps because it is intended as a take-down rifle.
You can also get a take down receiver off sites like gunbroker and build from that

Here's one for $100:
You can get a JWH bolt and charging handle from JWH for about $65, and a Stock Trigger for $30
Get a Brimstone Tier 3 to lighten it or spring for a BX trigger at around $60.
Looks like you have plans for the barrel and Stock, so this may be the cheapest route to a build.

jam

Last edited by jam_ppp; 01-01-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:54 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Different tack. Polymer stocked Charger take down or non take down.
https://coppercustom.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1046
Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Jam, that at least reassures me that it is possible to buy just a take down receiver on it’s own, and, that it is the receiver that determines a 'take-down’.

I did however note that Gun Broker appears to be some sort of bidding site so perhaps one might end up paying a bit more than the $97 initial price. Any other people selling takedown receivers?

Thanks also for pointing me in the direction of some more sites that sell parts. JWH receivers are $90 but that was a standard.

FlysALot. The SBX barrel is very short, and very light, since the suppressor ‘nest’ is fixed it gets past the barrel length problem/extra stamp. This however it does mean it would not fit into the Magpul X-22 stock since the muzzle will not fit into the flexible insert on the stock, but then I guess you meant buy the whole thing.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Different tack. Polymer stocked Charger take down or non take down.
https://coppercustom.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1046
Thanks, yes had seen that JTJ, but decided not to go that route.

There certainly seems an endless number ways of doing this.

Also have to decide on where to build, Fla or CA? He lives/has his kids in Fla but works and has digs in LA. Yep a long commute.