Difference in accuracy of CCI 22 magnum and 22 magnum V-max - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Difference in accuracy of CCI 22 magnum and 22 magnum V-max

Has anyone had any experience with the CCI 22 magnum V-max ammo not being as accurate as the older CCI 22 magnum 40 gr. maxi-mag ?

Last year I tried shooting some of the V-max in one of my Marlin bolt action rifle and I could NOT seem to get any consistency in groupings while using the V-max ammo. Only shooting about 35 yards (from solid rest) and accuracy was extremely poor.

I have been using CCI's 40 gr. maxi-mag hollow points for many YEARS (however, in a different / older Marlin bolt action rifle) and have had NO problems with accuracy while using that ammo in that particular rifle (as many departed whistlepigs would attest to if they were still here).

I did some Internet research on this subject and there were some indications that perhaps CCI had had some problems with the very earliest lots of the V-max ammo. And I believe that I purchased the few boxes of V-Max that I have when they very first came onto the market.

As soon as the weather breaks am going to try some of the V-max in my original (older) Marlin rifle and see if I get same bad results with it. But I thought I would pose this question in the mean time.

Is there any possibility that the higher speed (2200 FPS) of the V-max (vs 1875 for Maxi-mag) is problematic for and with the Micro-grooving of the Marlin rifles ?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:15 PM
BulletBait
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My three Marlins definitely dislike the 30 and 33 gr bullets and hot 40's over the ~1,800 fps level. Since mine are hunting rifles, I prefer the 45 and 50 gr bullets. Fast and light is meant for bench rifles.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:40 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post
My three Marlins definitely dislike the 30 and 33 gr bullets and hot 40's over the ~1,800 fps level. Since mine are hunting rifles, I prefer the 45 and 50 gr bullets. Fast and light is meant for bench rifles.
Thanks for your reply.

My Marlins are the 882SSV and the 982VS.

It was the 982VS that I tried the V-Max in and from what I could see it did not like them. Am going to try some 40gr. CCI Maxi-Mags in the 982VS when I get a chance.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017, 07:56 PM
bblock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too have not been impressed by any of the lighter bullets in my rifles as far as accuracy. Have had good results with both CCI and @Winchester 40grain h.p. plus they hit harder at longer ranges and are usually less spendy.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblock View Post
I too have not been impressed by any of the lighter bullets in my rifles as far as accuracy. Have had good results with both CCI and @Winchester 40grain h.p. plus they hit harder at longer ranges and are usually less spendy.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both the Remington Accutip and Hornady Vmax hover around 1moa in my Savage 93FVSS. The Remington 40gr FMJ does a bit over 1.5moa.
I've tried Winchester 40gr Super X a couple times and it was around 3moa.
The polymer tipped definitely is my rifles favorite ammo.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:04 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You test various ammo selections and find the one that shoots the best out of YOUR rifle. If you can't hit what you aim at it is worthless. My rifle likes heavier bullets.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:36 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
You test various ammo selections and find the one that shoots the best out of YOUR rifle. If you can't hit what you aim at it is worthless. My rifle likes heavier bullets.
May I ask what 22 magnum rifle you have ?

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:05 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had very good experience with the Vmax ammo. My Ruger american will constantly shoot 1.0 to 1.25 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Hornady Vmax. It also does quite well with some 40 grain loads, but; to the OP question. No problem with Vmax. It prefers Hornady over CCI by 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

My cz varmint will shoot rigth around 1 inch average 5 shot groups at 100 yards with CCI Vmax. This is the most accurate load (or lot) I found for this gun. This gun likes the CCI better than Hornady. Or that day with those lots.

I dont use either for fun shooting at the club. I did some initial tests, zeroed the best load and called it good. In both guns, that was some kind of Vmax. I wanted the range more than big bullet power. I could have gone with 40 grain if I wanted.

Some shooting at 50 yards was a better MOA than the final results at 100 yards. Being a magnum, I want to zero for 100 yards and measure accuracy at that point.

My marlin Micro groove liked the old super x 40 grain. That gun developed a problem I could not fix and never fired a Vmax. That was a while back in time. I hesitate to quote performance. Then, I have offered numbers, while the OP has not stated what he considers good or bad.

Marlin is now Remington, that could make a difference. Probably not for the better.

Last edited by fourbore; 12-25-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only have one Marlin in 22WMR, a XT22M with an old Weaver 3-9x38 AO scope. In that rifle, over multiple 50 yard groups of each type, I saw very little difference between the CCI 40g JHP and the CCI 30g V-Max, both average 0.80.

At 100 yards, the CCI 40g JHP averages 1.66. I didn't have any CCI V-Max with me for comparison, so no real data on that ammo in that gun.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:14 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
May I ask what 22 magnum rifle you have ?

Thanks.
Shure, it is a Marlin 25MN. Don't know anything about any other models from Marlin. This one shoots and see no need of replacing it. Won a Savage at a fund raiser that I will have to try different ammo on to see what it likes the best.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:36 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Posted here quite often that Savage 22's with their deeper Ballard rifling shoot the 40 and lighter faster bullets much better than the Marlin's mini grooves. I have a 25MN, 783 and 925M which shoot the hunting weight 45 and 50's much better at 100 yd. Two or three inch group at 100 is perfect for hunting; didn't buy them as bench match target rifles.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 AM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Honestly, I haven't been a fan of the lighter weight bullets either, like said, being a hunter, the 40gr+ is where I look.

That said I have shot a LOT of brands and weights, most seem to shoot pretty well in all my guns, BUT the point of impact is DRASTICALLY different between brands and bullet weights. At 100 yards all the weights and brands I have tried will group together by brand within the size of a standard white paper plate-again: at 100 yards. Most brands group well, but the groups from each brand will be in a different place on the plate.

I have a new Nikon to install on one of my .22WMR's, I plan to take 5 brands/weights with me and group each brand, should be FUN science

DR
Old 12-27-2017, 10:57 AM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Mauser is also in the standard type 45 and 50 grain group.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:56 PM
PaPow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
Thanks for your reply.

My Marlins are the 882SSV and the 982VS.

It was the 982VS that I tried the V-Max in and from what I could see it did not like them. Am going to try some 40gr. CCI Maxi-Mags in the 982VS when I get a chance.

Thanks.
I too, have a 982VS, it will not shoot CCI of any kind, just plain horrible accuracy to say the least. Throw the winchester ammo in it, or remington accu-tip, shoots amazing groups. Best accuracy i`ve ever gotten was 2inches @ 150yds, no wind though.