Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Cz 452 stock Touch up.

The last 452 CZ I bought looked great until I saw it in bright sunlight. The left side of the butt stock had several shiny dot sized sparkly places. I thought I would ask CZ about a replacement, but then I thought I would try something else. I know that on these matte finish stocks something rubbing can cause these shiny little speckles.

I tried a very light rub on the shiny spots with some superfine steel wool, and they disappeared. Very light with the grain strokes.....pleased........

I like straight grain with some contrast in the wood......
Old 11-02-2017, 03:30 AM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My CZ has a lot of open pores. wondering if a finish could be applied over top of the factory finish to 'plug' the pores??????

BC stock filler???
Old 11-02-2017, 09:51 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ Finishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABear View Post
My CZ has a lot of open pores. wondering if a finish could be applied over top of the factory finish to 'plug' the pores??????

BC stock filler???
Yes. Here is a list of the finishes for .22's:

It is directly from their website.

Might have to blow it up some as pictures of documents shrunken for posting are not that great.

What follows only should be done after a formal cleaning regimen which is described in this sticky:

https://rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/sto...0A%20STOCK.pdf

It is a virus free PDF file you can save to your local PC if you want.

There are two finishes. The first and most used is lacquer. In that case you can put on some more lacquer.

The second but not as much used is described as an "oil" finish.

IT IS NOT A PLANT/VEGETABLE OIL FINISH SUCH AS EITHER TUNG OR LINSEED!!!!

Lots of posts but to summarize, unmodified plant/vegetable oils have NEVER been used as a wood finish!

The finish is a wiping varnish which is an oil, most of the time not a plant/vegetable oil, with a resin added which then immediately turns it into a varnish. They are specifically designed to mimic the plant/vegetable oils in the label where is one in that label.

These are some.

Since they are designed to be wiped on they are called wiping varnishes.

Chemically they are fundamentally a poly so you can usually put on a wipe on poly over them but the wiping varnishes are more robust in many cases and do mimic what they say whereas a poly such as Tru-Oil® won't.

Your choice.

While some folks will tell you that they have had success "mixing" finishes there are no professional woodworkers nor Chemical Coatings "houses" that will tell you to do that. You put a poly over a poly and a lacquer over a lacquer.

noremf(George)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017, 11:26 AM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply.

My CZ is a 452 FS. there are no rimfires on your list.

Does anyone know what finish lacq or oil is on a 452 FS????
Old 11-02-2017, 04:43 PM
noremf

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABear View Post
Thanks for the reply.

My CZ is a 452 FS. there are no rimfires on your list.

Does anyone know what finish lacq or oil is on a 452 FS????
Mea Culpa - forgot to show that one. Mind goes second as you become well seasoned.

Here is that page.

All 4XX series are lacquer. Since the 452 series has been discontinued it is not in catalogues beyond then.

The catalogues I have are from Corporate CZ in Czechoslovakia not the those morons at CZ-USA which will increase my blood pressure considerably if I get into that. Lots of post on those folks.

The Corporate folks were kind enough to send me catalogues for 2012-2016. Nice folks those.

I got pic somewhere showing the 452's but darned if I can find it.

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 11-02-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Thanks George, for providing great information!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:51 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My own first impulse would be to buff the hell out of it with a clean cotton cloth and Renaissance Microcrystalline Wax....
Old 01-30-2018, 03:19 PM
dillwt
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your a lefty you may be waiting if you send in

I have a CZ 452 American left hand I bought this summer. It had a slight crack in the stock near the back of the receiver. I sent in for repair in sept. They are still waiting for a replacement as of Jan 29. Cant believe it takes this long to get a replacement stock.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:49 PM
noremf

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ-USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillwt View Post
I have a CZ 452 American left hand I bought this summer. It had a slight crack in the stock near the back of the receiver. I sent in for repair in sept. They are still waiting for a replacement as of Jan 29. Cant believe it takes this long to get a replacement stock.
Pet peeve....mini rant.

EDITORIAL COMMENT: Does not surprise me you have not had your rifle repaired.

I spent almost 3 months going back and forth about stock finishes and they knew squat. One rep said they used Tru-Oil® which is ridiculous in the extreme.

I told him they used a wiping varnish which is designed to simulate a plant/vegetable oil and all I got was

I ended up going to Corporate and they confirmed via email what the finishes were which is what I said. I sent a copy of that to the president of CZ-USA....Alice Poluchova. I have been told by other folks that they still say they use an "oil" finish but it is proprietary.

I then spent almost 2 months later about the nonsense they published about not shooting standard velocity or subsonic ammo in their .22's.

Went back to CZ-USA and it was like poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick....the only thing good about it was when I stopped.

Ended up going to Corporate again and got an email back saying that they shot their matches with either SV or subsonic ammo, along with pics of the ammo they used and the only thing they cautioned was making sure the case is not extra long like a stinger. The comment both the guy and gal that emailed me was "if you have a really hard time closing the bolt....don't use that ammo!!!"

They sent a copy of those emails to Alice. I will give you 3 guesses what happened with the FAQ's and the first two don't count.

I posted the above more then once on RFC.

If'n it was me I would go to Corporate and complain!!!!!!!!!!!

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 01-30-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:47 PM
Sarge45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep. My first choice too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
My own first impulse would be to buff the hell out of it with a clean cotton cloth and Renaissance Microcrystalline Wax....
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 12:50 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or Trewax,
I had some minor dings a marks that didn' t go through the lacquer finish I scraped them with a scalpel I use in hobbies,a razor blade will work,just scrape the finish til it's smooth and dull ,this technique was used on laquer car paint too then I. Used Maguiers " Plastix"a polish for face shields etc.( autozone) polishing compound will do.i polished the repaired areas to a shine,then waxed and buffed with a oooo steel wool that returned the 452 American to the original semi gloss finish clean checkering with a soft tooth brush.laquer is real easy to repair.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Joce22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As you I once used fine steel wool on a rough finished Slavia 630 and
I followed by a light application of boiled linseed oil...