Any love for the Polychoke? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)

I had one many years ago when a teenager. It was a Mossberg 20 ga. Ugly as sin but it shot well and knocked the pheasants down. My neighbor had one on a Winchester model 12 with a cut down barrel. They are handy but some consider them an eyesore. If they improve my shooting, I'm all for them.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Surplus43

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My dad has a mossberg bolt action 20ga from the mid to late 70s with a poly choke. I think its a 385k? Cool rifle. He hadnt cleaned it... ever. So i did a complete tear down of it. Cleaned and lubed absolutly everything. Took it clay shooting afterwards. Shot good, i really liked the adjustable choke on it. Id like to get an extra box mag for it if i can find one.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:28 AM
ngzcaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

I mentioned a few months ago that I bought an 1100 with a poly choke on it. Appearance was ok to me especially if it worked. I shot it see what the pattern was like. The pattern was fine except it was low and to the right..way off for any kind of shooting. I shot all the settings, patterned nicely except it was consistently low and to the right. I had a hunch it was the poly choke and not that the barrel was bent in any way. Long story short, I cut it off in back of the choke and the gun shoots perfectly for an open choke. Slugs work fine out of it. I'm not sure how it could be incorrectly installed I just know what happened to this particular one.

So... I would have loved this choke if it was installed correctly. Imagine how versatile it would have been. I recently bought another barrel with screw in Remchokes. Kind of a pita to change vs the polychoke but I didn't want to chance a removal and then a reinstall and maybe end up with the same thing. I am envious for the folks that installed them and work properly..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Oldeyes
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Here's an adjustable choke repair situation for you

A number of years ago I purchased a then contemporary inexpensive field model Winchester 12 gauge equipped with a raised barrel rib and an off brand adjustable choke. I got it at a really great price because a previous owner had fired a shotgun slug through the choke while it was on the full setting. As a result the threaded choke adjustment sleeve was split from top to bottom. I took the split adjustment sleeve off and placed it in a padded jaw vise and applied pressure to the sleeve to bring the crack back into original registration. I V'd the outside of the compressed crack area with a thin 1" HD cutting disk in a Dremel tool. I then took a 3/32" 6013 welding electrode and ran a 45 amp DC electrode positive bead of weld down the external surface of the crack. With a small first cut file I brought the filled in weld metal down to a very slightly rounded flush to the existing surface curvature condition. A bit of surface finishing against 600 grit emory paper on a flat plate blended the weld in quite nicely. I used some Birchwood Casey cold bluing to make the weld repaired area invisible. I was quite surprised that the cold bluing on the 6013 weld metal was a 100% color match to the original metal. If I was doing the same repair today I would probably use a low amperage setting on a TIG welder to do the fill in weld job.

Last edited by Oldeyes; 08-16-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngzcaz View Post
I mentioned a few months ago that I bought an 1100 with a poly choke on it. Appearance was ok to me especially if it worked. I shot it see what the pattern was like. The pattern was fine except it was low and to the right..way off for any kind of shooting. I shot all the settings, patterned nicely except it was consistently low and to the right. I had a hunch it was the poly choke and not that the barrel was bent in any way. Long story short, I cut it off in back of the choke and the gun shoots perfectly for an open choke. Slugs work fine out of it. I'm not sure how it could be incorrectly installed I just know what happened to this particular one.

So... I would have loved this choke if it was installed correctly. Imagine how versatile it would have been. I recently bought another barrel with screw in Remchokes. Kind of a pita to change vs the polychoke but I didn't want to chance a removal and then a reinstall and maybe end up with the same thing. I am envious for the folks that installed them and work properly..
It IS possible that the threading for the choke tubes is off-kilter, too, I have seen it on the Winchester 1400 I had until I tried to pattern it. No go. I have also heard of Remington threading being "off", too. Stuff will happen.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 PM
polychoke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never heard of 'em.

An obsessive-compulsive minimalist, I had a vented Polychoke factory-installed on a H&R Pardner 20 ga many years ago. It's my only, do-everything shotgun and I couldn't be happier with the results.