Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:09 PM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My father's Ithaca 37 had a polychoke with the side vents on it.... looked like a muzzle brake almost.. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I actually like the way that specific model of polychoke looks; those vents are cool.
I never patterned the gun so don't know if it worked or not, but it seems like a great idea. I know they blasted gases and sound out to the sides just like a muzzlebrake...and theoretically the extra weight out front should help keep the gun swinging on airborne targets.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:03 PM
ngzcaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had no qualms about the way it patterned and it definitely worked.. it was simply installed incorrectly, shot low and right. I was actually think of putting it back on but I'm not finding anyone that wants to do it. It's not for everyone but it could be a real time saver by simply twisting to your desired choke.. My 1100 is now an open choke and that's a bit too open even for skeet.. Slugs work really good in it though.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I also have guns with Polychokes...

I have two Winchester Model 12 guns with Polychokes. Handy at Sporting Clays or in a mix of open fields and woods. If you go with screw in chokes, you need to walk around with the extra tubes and wrench. My son has a Remington 870 with a Polychoke and a ribbed barrel. When shooting it you really don't notice the thing at all. I have not done a proper job patterning any of them. But I get the impression that some settings may have a better pattern than others. As I have aged, I tend to leave them set at one click below full choke and have been pretty happy with how they shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 10:39 PM
plumas
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boy does that bring back distant memories.
My first shotgun, a bolt action Mossberg 410 had a poly-choke. Rabbits on my uncle's nursery were in trouble when I was a brash 10 year old running amuck on those acres. I was let loose with 4-5 shells and had to bring back at least 1 set of ears for every 2 rounds or no more ammo.
As I remember it worked great and I often switched from imp cyl to full as the critters ran between the rows of 5 gallon cans...didn't have much use for modified. My only regret is not patterning it just to see what was what.
It was stoutly built, never lost it's setting and was a solid piece of hardware.

Sure love to see a pattern picture...anyone?

Last edited by plumas; 07-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:21 AM
ngzcaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So apparently the bad vibes and the " oh, its only worth half of a regular shotgun " only depends on one's point of view. Guess I have to start going to gun shows again and find these " oddball " shotguns..
Old 07-07-2019, 11:48 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngzcaz View Post
So apparently the bad vibes and the " oh, its only worth half of a regular shotgun " only depends on one's point of view. Guess I have to start going to gun shows again and find these " oddball " shotguns..
Not exactly, the value really is lower. And, yes, if you like the polychoke then you should be shopping because, you are in luck my friend. It is not the oddball ness. But again, if you like these, then go for it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying what you like. And if your likes are out of step with others, embrace your good fortune.

You want to know what is really tough? Wake up one day and decide you want to collect M1 carbines. That is a tough break, better stay home. Wanting shotguns with polychokes - fat city, fill you wallet and go out looking.

Last edited by fourbore; 07-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
They work just fine. Fantastic on a hunting shotgun - instant choice of choke from cylinder to full! As someone said, they even look KEWL; sort of like something out of the Roaring 20's Tommy Gun era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stevens 77C 1.jpg (505.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 01:57 PM
ngzcaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Not exactly, the value really is lower. And, yes, if you like the polychoke then you should be shopping because, you are in luck my friend. It is not the oddball ness. But again, if you like these, then go for it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying what you like. And if your likes are out of step with others, embrace your good fortune.

You want to know what is really tough? Wake up one day and decide you want to collect M1 carbines. That is a tough break, better stay home. Wanting shotguns with polychokes - fat city, fill you wallet and go out looking.

Actually, I prefer to think of it as other people are out of step with me... and paying more to boot !
Old 07-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Piranha451
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I am not mistaken, didn't the Polychoke automatically move to the next tighter choke setting with each shot, or was that a certain model which had that feature? I could have sworn I once read that somewhere.

Last edited by Piranha451; 10-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha451 View Post
If I am not mistaken, didn't the Polychoke automatically move to the next tighter choke setting with each shot, or was that a certain model which had that feature? I could have sworn I one read that somewhere.
The one on my father's didn't.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:29 PM
ngzcaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If I am not mistaken, didn't the Polychoke automatically move to the next tighter choke setting with each shot, or was that a certain model which had that feature? I could have sworn I one read that somewhere.
I've never heard that. I had a poly choke on another shotgun and it didn't have that feature... Interesting concept though.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:05 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
No it did not.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:14 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
No it did not.
Agree
Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As a teen some 50 years ago I remember the various large chokes to be a left over undesirable from the previous generations. They were never preferred, never desirable, never sought after. Just a left over gimmick from some past trend advertising campaign.

My friends and I thought the chokes to be about as useful as a corn cob attached to the tip of a fishing pole and just as ugly. Just plain weird looking.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngzcaz View Post
I've never heard that. I had a poly choke on another shotgun and it didn't have that feature... Interesting concept though.
You are partially correct.there was a different brand that did function that way. Trying to find it been thirty years since I saw it.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk