Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I bought a Mossberg 500 that came with a 28" modified choke vent rib barrel and an 18.5" cylinder barrel. I had the 28" cut down to approximately 20" and a Poly Choke installed along with a tritium bead. The rib was a factor in the cut length. It is a do everything gun. Bird shot to slugs with no tools needed. The vent rib hides the blob so there is a smooth transition. The rib will also take clamp on turkey (open) sights and the receiver is drilled and tapped.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:02 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Any love for the Polychoke?
No
Old 12-14-2018, 04:45 PM
grgsailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ditto NO! At auctions, a poly choke gun will bring about half of a gun with a solid barrel of any choke size. Gun shows are loaded with poly choke guns for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2018, 07:07 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grgsailor View Post
Ditto NO! At auctions, a poly choke gun will bring about half of a gun with a solid barrel of any choke size. Gun shows are loaded with poly choke guns for years.
I guess that means a great buy for those of us that don't object to them
Old 12-14-2018, 07:18 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
I guess that means a great buy for those of us that don't object to them
Yup! I picked up a New Haven 600A which is a Mossberg 500 with a 28" adjustable choke barrel for $100 otd at a pawn shop. The leftover 18.5" cylinder barrel from my 500 is on it and it is in the house. No big loss if it gets taken for evidence. The long barrel with adj choke is sitting in the safe. One of these days I will look to see if the adj choke can be moved back.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:46 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a very nice old 1948 Remington model 31 Skeet in 12 gauge that has an old model poly choke on it. It works great for shooting skeet, just need to keep the gap between the petals clean. I shoot 3/4 oz. loads in it, and they work just as good as the heavier ones. I use the 7/8 Claybuster wad with two kernels of yellow popcorn in the bottom, before I drop the shot. Just dial it up a little bit for doves.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Coyotehunter444

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had an old Mossberg 20 ga bolt with one, very easy to use and handy. I used to duck hunt in a swamp with about a mile walk through the woods so a twist of the choke I had an open choke grouse gun when I got to the swamp I twisted it again and had a tighter choked duck gun
Old 12-15-2018, 09:43 AM
shootbrownelk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had an old H&R single barrel 20 gauge that I had cut to 18" and added a Polychoke. It was my truck gun for years, the choke worked fine with shot . It shot Foster slugs pretty good to when the choke was fully opened. No complaints.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've been wanting to buy a Ithaca 37 or Remington model 31 lately. Right now I know of where both are right now cheap because they have adjustable chokes on them. I don't mind the looks as long as it is a low profile style and the barrel has a rib. The price has to be much lower than the norm but gun stores generally price it that way. The model 31 I found is immaculate for about $225 so if I don't like it I could cut it off and choke it.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:09 PM
captaincalc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A real plus is the polychoke makes an expensive gun REAL affordable. A while back I got a great deal on a model 12 in 20 gauge. The bad news is the GF likes it so much I'm looking for another one for me, now. I like mine - it's handy not carrying around several tubes. Worth noting, probably, that I've been around since they came out so can appreciate their advent.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a Poly-choke II on an Auto-5 browning. I personally like it. Quick to use.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:03 AM
bubbie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
2 model 12's with polychokes

The first one is a 12 ga. Model 12 skeet with a polychoke. It's a 1937 model and shoots really good. I'm sure it was put on a long time ago before the model 12's got collectable and was used as a all around hunting gun. I also have a 20 ga. Model 12 skeet with 2 barrels also a 37' model. The first barrel is a ws1 with a Simmons rib and the 2nd barrel is a much rarer ws2 barrel with a Simmons rib with a Packmar screw in choke kit. It was sent to Simmons and had the ribs installed and maybe the Packmar choke installed also which was something they also done,so I was told. It's a really nice gun and shoots lite's out. Of course it would be worth more without the Packmar choke but I pretty sure it was intended to be a hunting gun first and foremost. Like my brother says it is what it is.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Glad I'm not the only one here who sees at least the potential benefit of them. Since I posted last I was able to pick up a very nice early post-war Remington Model 11 for under $300. After replacing the recoil and action springs, it has been one of the softest shooting, and certainly the most reliable semi shotgun I have ever had. As others said, if nothing else you can get nice guns for less cash. That is great, especially if you like making HD or trench gun projects.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can contribute two no's to the conversation. I traded for one many years ago when they were kind of popular. I didn't like it and gave the gun to my son that also didn't like it.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:51 PM
ky-n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ended up with a poly on a shotgun that was bought to replace a shotgun that had been borrowed and was burned up in a field fire, (long story). Anyway it was on a Revelation 16 gauge pump and it did not matter where the choke was set the pattern was the same.