Any love for the Polychoke? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2017, 02:51 PM
DroopyBassets75's Avatar
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2015
Posts: 
949
TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Any love for the Polychoke?



Log in to see fewer ads
I grew up on a Winchester model 12 which was cut down to 22" and had a Polychoke brazed on. Yesterday I shot it for the first time in nine months or so. Got 23 out of 25 on trap. Enough to make me happy and upset a few.

For years I cringed when I saw a nice shotgun with one. I was convinced it was ruined. It was a ugly thing that didn't work well. Now that I have aged and shot the Model 12 some more, I rediscovered just how practical Polychokes are. The one I have is marked 1, improved cylinder, 3, modified, 5, and full.

Recently I have had a crazy idea. I am getting a 870 barrel within the next week or so. I planned on having the barrel cut back to 26" and have it threaded for standard choke tubes. Now I am wondering about having the barrel cut to 22" on this as well and have one of these added so I don't need to goof around with tubes. The 22" barrel was just fine for trap and five stand so I am not concerned with the length being too short for all three games here. The walnut stock cavity has been filled with shot, and a 12 oz lead weight has been put in the magazine tube so it would swing just fine.

Does anybody else here like these things? Sure, they are far from elegant but they just work. If I decide to do this, does anybody have a source for a brand new non vented Polychoke assembly? I would like the brazed on kind, not the screw in but with a front bead or bead hole. I would prefer to not have the Polychoke 2.

I hope to not have a mob come after me for admitting my fondness for this device. If nothing else comes of it, a thoughtful discussion on the topic could be nice. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-11-2017, 03:20 PM
aztarget is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2008
Location: 
tucson AZ
Posts: 
1,928
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My dad had the lyman cutts compensator on an auto 5. Not sure you could find a new one. might be able to find a barrel and all easier. There was one version that automatically tightened the choke up after each shot.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Squirrelhunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2004
Location: 
Colebrook, NH
Posts: 
1,210
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Always intrigued by adjustable chokes, I virtually fell in love with them after playing around with a Mossberg 385K with Mossie's patented C-Lect Choke

Though they have long since fallen out of mainstream favor, I too enjoy the built-in utility of such a device. By comparison, screw-in choke tubes come off crude & relatively impractical. Don't get me wrong, if you want the ability to change out one very specific choke for another for certain tasks, screw-ins are great; for practical, versatile work in the field, they are simply no match for an adjustable choke

Unlike many, I actually think adjustable chokes have a...'functional elegance' to them, and look good on numerous shotguns (on Mossberg bolts, they give an air of express/anti-tank rifle ). Despite claims to the contrary, most users (myself included) find them, when properly made/installed, to pattern just fine for most uses. I bet a good working Poly or C-Lect Choke would pattern better than a large majority of factory-spec screw-in tubes today...

Unfortunately, I can't help with adding a true Poly-Choke to your barrel. According to what I've been reading over on SGW, Poly-Choke is going out of business, so short of being able to get something to them before they fold up/ get sold, a custom/big gunsmithing outfit might be the only thing I can think of, if they have anything in stock of course...
On the other hand, you might be able to find an 870 barrel pre-fitted with one if you look around enough....I didn't find anything on a quick Ebay & Gunbroker search, but I'm sure they are out there. There are guns too; there is a 12 gauge 870 on GB now with one: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/705500019

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

P.S. Another option might be to find a Poly, used or new, on Ebay or someplace else online, and have a gunsmith install it for you. A fellow on BushcraftUSA apparently bought one on Ebay for $50 and paid a local 'smith $100 to cut down his barrel & install the choke.

Last edited by Squirrelhunter; 10-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 PM
damonkeydobad's Avatar
damonkeydobad
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Location: 
62.9 klicks N. of Murder City
Posts: 
838
TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
yes i have one on my model 12 in 16 gauge on a 20 frame it is my all around best shotgun.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 PM
DroopyBassets75's Avatar
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2015
Posts: 
949
TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I'm glad that I am not alone. You are right though, I would be better off finding a barrel with one installed already. MUCH cheaper. I would be in at over $150.00 easily if I were to find one then have a smith install it. I was thinking of maybe a Cutts as a substitution as I can find them easier but at that point I should just switch from flush to extended tubes.

If I find a shorter 870 barrel with any of the above I will pick it up. They are undesirable to most and priced better.

Now that I know 22" is actually long enough for anything I have or will shoot I am trying to figure out what length I will have the barrel cut. I had a 28" barrel on it, and I didn't like it. Too long, a little cumbersome. Additionally, I shoot a Remington 11-87 with a 26" barrel and that handles great. I am torn between 25 and 26".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,012,098
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My father's 12 ga. poly made my left ear ring, even more than it did before. Fit me well for wing shooting but I sold it to someone with better hearing.
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM
James Cottrell's Avatar
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2008
Location: 
Tiverton, RI
Posts: 
1,789
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I was given a Ithica 37, barrel was cut back a bit and a adj choke was installed. Former owner was an avid rabbit hunter. It has become my rainy day grouse and woodcock gun. The o/u stays dry and the old war horse comes out. It seems like its indestructible.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 PM
menof2amendment's Avatar
menof2amendment
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2002
Location: 
SC
Posts: 
486
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I grew up on a Remington M11 12ga. Browning A5 design. It had the original Poly-Choke on it with many choke adjustments. The new screw in chokes are a bother, too many parts to keep up with and time consuming to change. I chased a covey of 8 quail under an oak tree. They were on the ground a few short yards around my feet. They flew up one at a time and I knocked down each with one shot firing from my hip. I counted my shots and reloaded 3 shells. I could hit running rabbits from the hip, if they were running straight away from me. January, 1969 someone broke into my house and stole it along with a Remington ADL 700 .22-250. My, how I miss that Rem. M11. Now, I use Mossberg 500 12 and 20 gauge pumps with their Selec-Choke system, nearly the same as the Poly-Choke. Quail populations have seriously declined, so I`m out of practice hunting those tasty birds.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,451
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The screw in tubes are so much cleaner and elegant solution. At the time they may or may not have made sense. As opposed to two shotguns or a spare barrel.

No love here, then or now.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2017, 08:42 AM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2013
Posts: 
1,021
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Had a m12 16 ga. With poly. The polychoke worked great. Patterned very well. Full choke was very tight. Loved how gun shot. Was my best gun. Easy to walk thru wooded areas for rabbits and pats @ improved cyl. Walk out into field and twist to mod. or tighter for ringnecks. Just couldn't get past the looks. Now have a m12 16ga. mod. Gun I love. I don't have any tuners on my 22,s either. Just to obtrusive.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 AM
DGF

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Ontario Canada
Posts: 
807
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have my dads 870 wingmaster( built like a tank,weighs as much) with 1 barrel with a Cutts and the other is shorter with the Lyman. Fun to shoot and the grouse and ducks still fall regularly. As for hearing my ears aren’t the best so I can’t reply to that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Squirrelhunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2004
Location: 
Colebrook, NH
Posts: 
1,210
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menof2amendment View Post
I grew up on a Remington M11 12ga. Browning A5 design. It had the original Poly-Choke on it with many choke adjustments. The new screw in chokes are a bother, too many parts to keep up with and time consuming to change. I chased a covey of 8 quail under an oak tree. They were on the ground a few short yards around my feet. They flew up one at a time and I knocked down each with one shot firing from my hip. I counted my shots and reloaded 3 shells. I could hit running rabbits from the hip, if they were running straight away from me. January, 1969 someone broke into my house and stole it along with a Remington ADL 700 .22-250. My, how I miss that Rem. M11. Now, I use Mossberg 500 12 and 20 gauge pumps with their Selec-Choke system, nearly the same as the Poly-Choke. Quail populations have seriously declined, so I`m out of practice hunting those tasty birds.
Nice - I too have found the C-Lect choke to be a very functional design. Not as fancy as a genuine Poly, but its relative simplicity might have actually been a positive

Maybe you could see how those guns do on some of those bigger squirrels you all have down that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
The screw in tubes are so much cleaner and elegant solution. At the time they may or may not have made sense. As opposed to two shotguns or a spare barrel.

No love here, then or now.
They are also cruder, less practical, and have their own list of drawbacks. The only real positive to a screw-in tube (IMO) I noted above. That said, many people like 'em, and they are clearly the industry standard these days

I suppose there is nothing wrong with having a preference for such things - that is why we have all the options after all

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-2017, 03:38 PM
bn12gg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2009
Location: 
Winter Park, FL
Posts: 
2,040
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 AM
ngzcaz

Join Date: 
Nov 2005
Posts: 
72
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyBassets75 View Post
I grew up on a Winchester model 12 which was cut down to 22" and had a Polychoke brazed on. Yesterday I shot it for the first time in nine months or so. Got 23 out of 25 on trap. Enough to make me happy and upset a few.

For years I cringed when I saw a nice shotgun with one. I was convinced it was ruined. It was a ugly thing that didn't work well. Now that I have aged and shot the Model 12 some more, I rediscovered just how practical Polychokes are. The one I have is marked 1, improved cylinder, 3, modified, 5, and full.

Recently I have had a crazy idea. I am getting a 870 barrel within the next week or so. I planned on having the barrel cut back to 26" and have it threaded for standard choke tubes. Now I am wondering about having the barrel cut to 22" on this as well and have one of these added so I don't need to goof around with tubes. The 22" barrel was just fine for trap and five stand so I am not concerned with the length being too short for all three games here. The walnut stock cavity has been filled with shot, and a 12 oz lead weight has been put in the magazine tube so it would swing just fine.

Does anybody else here like these things? Sure, they are far from elegant but they just work. If I decide to do this, does anybody have a source for a brand new non vented Polychoke assembly? I would like the brazed on kind, not the screw in but with a front bead or bead hole. I would prefer to not have the Polychoke 2.

I hope to not have a mob come after me for admitting my fondness for this device. If nothing else comes of it, a thoughtful discussion on the topic could be nice. Thanks in advance.


I can offer a little first hand experience. Being near the end of my shooting career I bought a Remington 1100 just because I never had a S/A before, always had singles, SXS, and pumps. Armed with only a little info I go in a LGS and see an 1100 in fair used condition w/ a Herter's adjustable choke sitting on top. Didn't bother me that it was on, in fact I thought hey, even better for block shoots to clays ( that I never shot until last year but I wanted to try it ) so I bought it for $ 265 if I recall correctly. Took it to the range and tried to see where the pattern was going. At full choke at 25 yards the pattern was around 6 to 8 inches low and close to a foot off to the right. Nice pattern, just off. Way off.. Tried the other choke settings, all decent patterns but the same low and right pattern persisted.
Making a long story short, I cut the barrel just in back of the choke ending up with around a 26 in barrel and a shotgun that shot dead on aim. The choke was improperly installed as was the extra wide vent rib ( ever so slightly canted to the right ) Someone went to a lot of expense for the rib and the choke, shame it didn't work out. I now use it for clays and it works pretty good. If I was 40 years younger I'd be thinking a second barrel or have tubes installed on this one. It's shot twice a year when I go out to my son's home so that will probably not happen.
If properly installed I think they could be a real asset if one doesn't mind it sitting on the barrel. I liked the patterns it was throwing. I still have the choke if anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 AM
sandog's Avatar
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2011
Location: 
Arizona
Posts: 
356
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I inherited a Remington model 11 in 20 gauge when I was 15.
It had a Polychoke on it.
I patterned it and could see no difference in pattern no matter what setting the Polychoke was on.
I'm glad it has worked for others, but mine was just an ugly weight on the barrel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x