Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Stick & String
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mueller 40x

So, who's going to be the first to try the new Mueller 40x56mm on a CZ? It's a huge scope, but looks like an affordable target br scope alternative. They have them listed on their website on special for $259 including covers, sunshade, and a removable larger side focus wheel. 1/8 moa turrets with caps, fine reticle with 1/8 moa dot, 30mm tube. It's suppose to be available starting today. Question for you all, is a 17" long scope with 56mm objective too big for a CZ American? Heck with the sunshade it will be nearly as long as the barrel....

http://muelleroptics.com/products/mu...us-target-dot/
Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting. What is the country of origin. I hope some one can post a review in the optics forum and perhaps make some comparison to the Weaver T36.

Unfortunately I am a little skeptical right from the get go with ridiculous objective diameter and over all size and weight. Too good to be true pricing. I was under the impression that the objective focus had some advantages over the sde. The cross hair looks good. Its a 30mm, so that might complicate the search for a reasonable set of rings. The 30mm should allow for more elevation. They did not bother to post that spec.

I hope for the best. There is no reason a good 36 or 40x has to cost as much as they do. A fixed 24x of good quality (moderate) would be welcome.

This is the weaver, closest competition.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/tseries/
Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 AM
gstaylorg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a NF 12-42x56 BR scope that is very close to the same size mounted on a CZ455 VPT rifle. Sure, it might look a little large relative to the shorter barrel, but I'm more concerned with how the scope functions than how it looks. If you think it looks too large for the rifle, you can always remove the sunshade. 30 mm rings are no problem, there are a number of ways you can go with a 30 mm tube scope. There is a reason why quality scopes cost as much as they do. Generally, you get pretty much exactly what you pay for when it comes to glass and turrets. The extremely low price point of this scope for the features it has seems to me to potentially be a big red flag. However, I'll withhold judgement until someone has the chance to try one out and report their findings. If the glass and turret adjustments on this scope turn out to be very good, it will be an excellent BR scope for an almost ridiculously low price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Weaver makes a great 46x48 selling new on sale for for $499 was on sale $30 off that not too big & 30mm tube. I forgot it lists for $1444.45 that's a lot for those who only pay full retail, sorry I have BSA 36x44 that work fine for $100. I also have a couple asian 10-40x56 that sold for about $100 with rings, sunshade & are illuminated which I dont use but are clear to over 1-1/3 miles. at full power.30mm rings cost no more than 1" in most cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Interesting. What is the country of origin. I hope some one can post a review in the optics forum and perhaps make some comparison to the Weaver T36.

Unfortunately I am a little skeptical right from the get go with ridiculous objective diameter and over all size and weight. Too good to be true pricing. I was under the impression that the objective focus had some advantages over the sde. The cross hair looks good. Its a 30mm, so that might complicate the search for a reasonable set of rings. The 30mm should allow for more elevation. They did not bother to post that spec.

I hope for the best. There is no reason a good 36 or 40x has to cost as much as they do. A fixed 24x of good quality (moderate) would be welcome.

This is the weaver, closest competition.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/tseries/
Old 10-02-2017, 07:07 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most products sell at a "typical retail" significantly below "list price", which is a lot different than expecting to pay pennies on the dollar below "typical retail".

Common sense goes a long way here and personal jabs dont both me but the casual reader might not be aware of the hidden grudge. It just makes a mess of the forum and makes one person look bad. More food for thought? Or not, as the case may be.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clean looking and fine shooting Anschutz match 54's can be found for under a $1000 and they can be amazing range toys. These have 27" bull barrels and those long scopes dont look out of place. A custom 455 might be made up in that size. Its a quiet shooter and very steady on the bags. Weight not a concern for the scope, either. The period glass, such as Super Target Spot were just as long. I have a Japanese Tasco 36x44 that looks and performs the part. If anything it looks small. Even that at a mere 44mm objective and 1" tube took some searching to find a good mount. I did not go with a weaver base for some reason. There are no receiver screw holes on the older models. Might not have been an option for me. For a cz, that would be the way to go for a 55mm front lens. Get a nice jump on the height and allow many more ring choices in 30mm. The 30mm tube should be an advantage. On low end product, sometimes features are added more for cosmetic than function.

I hope we can get a well informed review later on and in the optics forum.

Last edited by fourbore; 10-02-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 AM
flylo

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Anyone know the amount of vert & horiz adjustment? I like SWFA SSs fixed power which has the most I know about 140 moa each way but they only go up to 20X.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:40 AM
2labradors

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I ordered one just to compare to my Weaver T36's, will see what 260.00 gets you.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2labradors View Post
I ordered one just to compare to my Weaver T36's, will see what 260.00 gets you.
You the man! Excellent. Looking forward to your report.

I had an odd (to me) experience. And, I feel a little bad about this too. I reported on how good a value the Tasco 6-24 target model (the one with raised turrets) was, with pretty decent optics and other features all for under $100. The bad part, was turned out after more extensive shooting, I was less impressed. The point at which the parallax error was zero was not the point at which the focus was clearest. I did not know this was even possible. I shoot with the perfect parallax and after a couple hours, I get a headache. Another spare scope. $260 is a lot more than a $100 and a fixed power scope scope should out perform a variable, all things equal. In this case, 3x the price in not equal. I digress.

A good product from Meuller could put some pricing pressure on Weaver. Or lead to a 24x fixed scope. The 24x is my ideal at 50 yards. I can live with 40
Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Stick & String

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hey guys, I just posted this info as a FYI. I just happened to run across it on their website, and didn't see any mention of it here or in the scope section. I don't own any of their brands, but Mueller seems to get high praises here for their APT 4.5-14x and 8-32x scopes for decent glass and they hold zero well. I believe the scopes mentioned above are made in China. It will be interesting to see how they perform compared to more expensive bench rest scopes. Like others said, if they turn out to be good, perhaps bigger brands will lower their prices to compete.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM
flylo

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Just don't lose your receipt or Mueller won't even talk to you.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Stick & String

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Kind of sounds like Weaver, they only warranty to the original owner with receipt of sales also.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Kahuna

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2labradors View Post
Curious at to what you find as well.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Stick & String

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In case you are wondering, the admins. moved this thread to the scopes section.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Would love to see how this pans out. Always wondered why Mueller didn't have an entry into this arena. Would be a good thing IMHO for those who might be testing the waters of Benchrest shooting. Curious to see how these compare. May order one for giggles, just to see.

Doubt those who are already into benchrest shooting will look hard. When you're using Nightforce, Sightron or Leupold, the name Mueller doesn't make people do a double take. But for those who are just getting started, this might be a great way to get them going. Especially at that price point. As long as the tracking is reliable, the glass is clear, and the reticle isn't too thick, there will be a market for a scope in that price range. Heck, people still buy BSA's...

Always liked the Mueller scopes for what they are. So, hope these are more than a haphazard entry into a market that mediocre products usually don't fare well in.

For those who worry more about the looks of a scope on a gun, you have to remember what the scope you're looking at is intended for. And if the thought of a 30mm tube gives you pause, well, there are advantages for that size tube.

2labs...when you get a chance, post a report on impressions. Clarity, tracking, etc. Do a box test if you will. Don't be gentle! The world is waiting on your report! Well, I am!

Very curious...

Kenny

Last edited by kseatm; 10-03-2017 at 06:40 PM.