Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile AR-7 Reassembly Tip

I've seen the advice posted a few times: "Never open up the AR-7. You'll never get it back together!"

The biggest reassembly problem is trying to get the hammer pin back into the hole on the cover. Here's what causes that:

The top of the hammer spring pushes to the left, which in turn causes the spring's coil to push the hammer pin to the right. This tends to hold the pin out of alignment with the cover, as shown.

Here's how to keep this from happening. Pull the bolt all the way back while holding the pin and trigger in place. Pull the trigger all the way back and hold it there while you close the bolt. This is a bit tricky and takes some practice. You'll probably have parts explode out a few times until you learn not to allow the trigger to move at all. When done correctly, you end up with this:

With the hammer held in the "over-cocked" position, the top of the hammer spring is pushing UP and the coil sits in place without pushing the hammer pin back.

You see how the pin and cover hole now align correctly. Once you snap the cover into place, you can release the trigger and put the cover screw back in. I used a bread wrapper tie to hold the trigger for taking the picture.

With a little practice, the cover can be put back on in just a minute or so - without all the frustration. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i hope..........

I never need to take mine down that far!!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:53 PM
CheckSix
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a word document on the AR-7 which shows complete re-assembly.
If anyone is interested, PM me an email address and I'll send it as an attachment.

CheckSix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 AM
shuswapbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up one of theses Henrys recently. Mine has a curious problem after the first round fires the trigger does not fully return to its cocked position. If you give the trigger a little nudge forward it pops into place and you can fire the next round.

I have stripped it down and can't find anything to cause any obstructions or binding to prevent full movement. So when I stripped it I went as far as to remove the bolt lubed it all back up and have to wait til the next time I can get to range if it made any difference.

Any ideas why it does this would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuswapbear View Post
I picked up one of theses Henrys recently. Mine has a curious problem after the first round fires the trigger does not fully return to its cocked position. If you give the trigger a little nudge forward it pops into place and you can fire the next round.

Any ideas why it does this would be appreciated.
Mine was the same way when I got it. The problem is highlighted in the orange oval in the second pic. The top side of the hammer on the "overcock" nub needs a little downward slope to the tip. A TINY bit of material can be sanded off here to give it that slope. But DO NOT take enough off to shorten the nub at all!!! This is very important! The nub is barely long enough to ensure that the trigger will catch the hammer notch during reset.

If you shorten the nub at all - you may fire a second round on release of the trigger, if released too slowly. You would need to replace the hammer to fix the "double fire" condition. Get a gunsmith to do it for you, if you're not comfortable with doing the mod!

The tiny slope will allow the trigger to reset normally, when released.

Edit:
I forgot to mention - you can check the function without having to go to the range.

Pull the bolt back and hold the trigger back. Move the bolt forward, and you're in exactly the same position as having just fired a round (over-cocked). Release the trigger and it should move forward and the hammer will drop to the cocked position. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Test_Engineer; 08-05-2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-05-2016, 12:10 PM
shuswapbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TY for info wil try that out. 😊
Old 08-08-2016, 11:09 PM
shuswapbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Definitely made a difference I'm gonna make a little more adjustment. Interestingly it seems that whether the stock was firmly tightened into place or not affected trigger function and can't think or see any reason for interference from it.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM
lessisbest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I've seen the advice posted a few times: "Never open up the AR-7. You'll never get it back together!"

The biggest reassembly problem is trying to get the hammer pin back into the hole on the cover. Here's what causes that:

The top of the hammer spring pushes to the left, which in turn causes the spring's coil to push the hammer pin to the right. This tends to hold the pin out of alignment with the cover, as shown.

Here's how to keep this from happening. Pull the bolt all the way back while holding the pin and trigger in place. Pull the trigger all the way back and hold it there while you close the bolt. This is a bit tricky and takes some practice. You'll probably have parts explode out a few times until you learn not to allow the trigger to move at all. When done correctly, you end up with this:

With the hammer held in the "over-cocked" position, the top of the hammer spring is pushing UP and the coil sits in place without pushing the hammer pin back.

You see how the pin and cover hole now align correctly. Once you snap the cover into place, you can release the trigger and put the cover screw back in. I used a bread wrapper tie to hold the trigger for taking the picture.

With a little practice, the cover can be put back on in just a minute or so - without all the frustration. Good luck!
I have re-assembled AR-7s many times with NO trouble. Here's my "secret":

I own TWO AR-7s. When I have to dis-assemble/re-assemble the receiver of an AR-7 I take the side plates off BOTH! I put one out of harm's way and use it as a 3D diagram. Works like a charm.