Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
RAR Target ? Legal ?

I've been thinking about a RAR for a few years now, but didn't care for the stocks, and pencil barrels. Then they came out with the wood stock version, and I started thinking more often. Now they came out with the Target model, with the laminate stock, and 18" .860 barrel, in 22 long rifle . http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...et/models.html

I went to see my LGS a few days ago, and he got on a notification list with his suppliers. So in a month or so I may get my hands on one. I think with that barrel there may be some potential, with some trigger work, and tuning.

So on to my question. From what I read in the rules, it should fall into varmint class. But it has a threaded barrel, that is capped, and I don't see anything in the rules about a threaded barrel. Would it be in ??
Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heavy!

I got my hands on one at a local shop in 17 hrm. My first impression is they need to be fluted as they are very heavy. Stock feels good but not crazy about the hook notch in the front of the green laminate stock. Had the threaded barrel like the American Predator models with knurled cap but the mid weight barrel on the predator may be a better choice for a hunting rifle. If you want a dedicated bench gun however, this may be a winner.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The muzzle is. 860" diameter so it is not a sporter & would not qualify as such. Superstock Varmint is what I would call it.In the Superstock games section you would need to confirm that there is a Varmint category available for the game you wish to enter. I've been out of it for ages, but I think most Superstock BOLT action games do allow separate Target/Varmint entries, my game does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FJEF View Post
The muzzle is. 860" diameter so it is not a sporter & would not qualify as such. Superstock Varmint is what I would call it.In the Superstock games section you would need to confirm that there is a Varmint category available for the game you wish to enter. I've been out of it for ages, but I think most Superstock BOLT action games do allow separate Target/Varmint entries, my game does
Good to see you here!!

You are right most games allow a Varmint version. If they do not they may allow all SuperStock Bolts with out separating them so in them you just shoot what you have.

You can always check with the "Game Owner" if there are any doubts.

Good luck and good shooting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
I've been thinking about a RAR for a few years now, but didn't care for the stocks, and pencil barrels. Then they came out with the wood stock version, and I started thinking more often. Now they came out with the Target model, with the laminate stock, and 18" .860 barrel, in 22 long rifle . http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...et/models.html

I went to see my LGS a few days ago, and he got on a notification list with his suppliers. So in a month or so I may get my hands on one. I think with that barrel there may be some potential, with some trigger work, and tuning.

So on to my question. From what I read in the rules, it should fall into varmint class. But it has a threaded barrel, that is capped, and I don't see anything in the rules about a threaded barrel. Would it be in ??
No problem with threaded barrels. A few years ago we had a kind of contentious vote that allowed suppressors so threaded barrels obviously follow. Even before that we allowed threaded barrels as long as they were capped so either way they are allowed.

As for the RAR I shot another member's rifle a few years ago. It had been put in a gray laminate stock and had some slight trigger work.

Few rifles impress me as much as that little rifle did! I was prepared to not like it but had a big surprise coming. It's owner is a big gun trader but was not interested in trading the RAR. I completely understand why. If I remember right my first 50 yd group was just over 1/4"!! A couple others were all under 1/2" A one MOA rifle with minor work done to get there. Good reason to be impressed. If I needed a bolt action rimfire it would be the first rifle considered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree, I have a CZ 17hmr, an Anschutz 22mag, a Rem 540x, a Win 75 & a Ruger 77/22, and I've fired a massive array of rimfires (I used to shoot with a collector/trader) and I think my first choice for a reasonably priced Bolt Rim fire would be the RAR. I would enjoy owning one. I would also suggest it as a great first rifle.