Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:54 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Used CO2 Rifle

Since returning a, M&P 40 Blowback pistol, I've been looking for a cheap .177 CO2 rifle to burn up the 100+ powerlet cartridges that I have left. Came close to ordering a Beeman QB78 but decided to wait. Glad I did. A vendor at a local gunshow today had a pellet gun that I had seen at his table before but didn't know much about. He actually had it at several shows over the last year or so and had it tagged at $195. Today the 1 was torn off. When I stopped to look at it he told me to make an offer because he was tired of hauling it around. The crude manual indicated it is a TAU 200 made in Czechoslovakia. Original box, extra seals, bulk tank, sling adapters and tools were included. We agreed on $65 and I walked out thinking I might regret the purchase.
Happy to report the rifle is a keeper. The trigger is 9.9oz. and nearly as nice as my FX. It has seen little, if any, use but years of gummy oil and dust made the operation a little erratic. The stock is the unattractive plastic version but solid and functional. I shot a few groups with the iron sights and was impressed so mounted a BSA Platinum 6-24 scope. Groups at 20 yards were generally under 1/2" with occasional low flyer and a quieter report.
I took it apart, cleaned and polished the bolt, striker, inside of the receiver and replaced the o-rings on the bolt probe. The report sounds more consistent now but shooting will have to wait for tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 PM
noyp54

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Enjoy that TAU 200 cuz we dont see anymore of them! hats a steal at $65.00, you're lucky. Pictures please. A predecessor Air Arms rifles ?

Noyp54
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cold and a little breezy today but managed to get some shooting in. I was surprised at how much more the wind affected the slow .177 pellets compared to faster .22 out of my FX. I'm satisfied with the results so far.
I shot a grid of dots to see when the POI started to drop (too lazy to get out the chronograph today). At only 22~24 shots it obviously had a drop in power. I assume that may be partially due to the temperature being in the low 20's.
She definitely favors wadcutter pellets. Domed and pointed pellets weren't terrible but not great either. Unfortunately, my inventory of wadcutter type pellets is limited to four.

In order of accuracy:
1. RWS 8.2g Meisterkugeln
2. Tie between RWS 7.0g Hobby and RWS 6.9g Super H-Point
3. Daisy 7.9 wadcutter from a cheap variety pack

Pic of a three and a five shot group with 8.2g Meisterkugeln at 20 yards during a shift in the wind.

Pic of rifle with iron sights removed and a BSA 6-24x40 mounted. Focus at 10 meters is a little fuzzy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 AM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow. That is one impressive looking air rifle. Especially for $65.00.

Great find, kenoh!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:10 AM
springer99
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For $65, a TAU200 is definitely a steal, whether or not it came with a plastic stock. I have one with a laminate wood stock and 10meter aperture sights and it's a actually a decent 10meter rifle, especially with good wadcutter pellets. If you use the bulk fill adaptor, you'll probably get at least 100 shots before the power drops off. I've got mine adjusted to shoot just over 600fps with 8gr. pellets.

If yours came with the extra barrel weights, try installing them as far forward as you can and then cover the muzzle end with a piece of duct tape. Firing thru that won't affect accuracy and the most sound you'll hear is the striker opening the CO2 valve. Makes a great backyard sniper if you're into that.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:38 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may check into the bulk fill option when my supply of 12g bulbs is depleted. It's my understanding that an adapter is required due to non-standard threads.

My neighbor (ohioairgun.com) was kind enough to let me try some heavier pellets. It was very breezy today but performance was great.

JSB 10.34g Exact Heavy Diabolo

5 rounds at 10 meters on left.
5 rounds at 20 yards on right.

Same point of aim.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 PM
springer99
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh2 View Post
I may check into the bulk fill option when my supply of 12g bulbs is depleted. It's my understanding that an adapter is required due to non-standard threads.

My neighbor (ohioairgun.com) was kind enough to let me try some heavier pellets. It was very breezy today but performance was great.

JSB 10.34g Exact Heavy Diabolo

5 rounds at 10 meters on left.
5 rounds at 20 yards on right.

Same point of aim.

Enjoy that TAU. They shoot way above their weight, IMO.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer99 View Post
If yours came with the extra barrel weights, try installing them as far forward as you can and then cover the muzzle end with a piece of duct tape. Firing thru that won't affect accuracy and the most sound you'll hear is the striker opening the CO2 valve. Makes a great backyard sniper if you're into that.
No barrel weights with mine.

I was looking at the recessed barrel and wondered if an internal moderator could be added like many airguns incorporate. Don't know the legalities of such a modification but it's not something that can be transferred to a actual firearm. Seems like it would not be classified as a suppressor but I don't think I'll risk it without more info.

Last edited by kenoh2; 03-19-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tau 200

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...e-+Please+help
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 AM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
I had one or two of these for many years from the time they first came on the market in the USA. Each of mine was the 10 Metre target variant with the wood stock ... and were used for private training of individuals on my JROTC rifle teams.

Overall an excellent, and relatively inexpensive, training rifle of the period. Like all CO2 rifles it "suffered" from temperature instability .... and ... for the plain wooden stocked variants, being prone to breakage of the stock across the wrist area. The laminated stocks were introduced to eliminate this problem.

Mine were later supplanted by the early PCP Daisy Valiant units ... the fore-runner of the CZ 200's.

Fuzzy