Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:27 PM
patseale
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My FWB 300 S Match is out of storage

Been surfing through this group in the last few days and you all have caused the embers to burst into flame. So, decided it was time to unpack my FWB 300 S Match and start getting her ready for some backyard fun when the weather gets right. She still looks new doing the external inspection. It’s been some time since she’s been out of storage and I do hope she’s pulling at the bit to go. So, with that I’ll give you a little background and post a couple of photos.

She was purchased new from the Arroyo Sports Center located in Pasadena, California, May 23rd, 1981. Arroyo Sports had received her from the distributor which at the time was Beeman’s Precision Airguns, Inc. located in San Rafael, CA.

A note about the test card in the instruction book reads “Each and every FEINWERKBAU carries its own test card and guarantees – 5 shots fired at 10 metres range must pass through the same hole as individual proof of its incredible accuracy……… “.

Do hope internally she is still in good shape. Have tried to keep her stored in a decent environment. We’ll see.

Last edited by patseale; 03-12-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:45 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Just bought one from here --
Really enjoying getting it going ---have some fun with yours --
If you don't like it -- haha ---let me know --
What scope??
Thx
Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hadn't thought about a scope. Will start off with the diopter aperture sight that came with her.
I'll see how that goes first.

Last edited by patseale; 03-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 08:50 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW

NIB from 1981. I'm not sure I could bring myself to shoot it. (I'd buy a "shooter grade" probably)

David
Old 03-11-2017, 09:20 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi David,

Didn't mean to mislead anyone. Can't be counted as NIB as over the 36 year period it has be out of the box and doing its thing a number of times. I've always been amazed at the accuracy. Never had anything else I've shot even come close. Its a joy to shoot. Just hope sitting so long this last time has done it no harm.

Pat
Old 03-11-2017, 11:39 PM
Bob Smalser
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great rifles - I've been collecting them for our junior club. Yesterday I rebuilt a recent acquisition, a 300S "Mini", here shown in front of the full-size version. This was the first time the rifle had ever been rebuilt and I found that the age-sludged assembly lube originally applied during manufacturing was what was probably causing poor accuracy, although the 40-year-old plastic seals had also age-hardened a bit. I added new springs because I had them, although I believe the ones I removed are fine and will use them in a club gun recently gone south. This one now shoots into the customary one hole through 25 yards, and one of my shooters scored regular 10.9's with it today in prone.

The Mini is light and compact enough to make a good sporter, and hopped-up springs are available to add some velocity.

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 03-11-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:40 AM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bob, thanks for the post and photo. Great to hear about the 25 yd. test and that you have some good marksmen on your team.

If I read you correctly sounds like there are parts available for the FWB 300 S when needed. I do want to spend more time with mine now and learn as much as I can so I too can do mechanical maintenance when needed. I'll start looking for any documents, reading posts and looking for possible publications that may increase my knowledge about what makes these critters tick and possibly what parts one should have on hand. Looking forward to the shooting too, especially since I'll be able to do it around the homestead now.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 AM
Bob Smalser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The rebuild videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4MJsRTIx2I&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkkNDxn79aE

The parts sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPx89J8COB4&t=7s
Old 03-12-2017, 01:32 AM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Bob. Thanks very much for the links.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patseale View Post
Hi David,

Didn't mean to mislead anyone. Can't be counted as NIB as over the 36 year period it has be out of the box and doing its thing a number of times. I've always been amazed at the accuracy. Never had anything else I've shot even come close. Its a joy to shoot. Just hope sitting so long this last time has done it no harm.

Pat
Still, impeccable condition. With the box and other items it's far above-average condition.

I have a 300S Mini and enjoy shooting it. Mine was probably a German club gun and still smells of cigarettes. The bluing on the cocking lever is worn. I kinda prefer shooting it this way.

I find the wear on sporters to be much less elegant. Rust spots and stock gouges don't exactly give the nostalgia of patina, if you know what I mean.

David

Last edited by dgeesaman; 03-12-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:13 AM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
David,

The box that I keep the rifle foam insert in is the original that is duck taped together and a bit the worse for wear. When I opened it up I found all the original documents that I had forgot were there.

Glad to hear that you're another pleased FWB 300 pilot. There seems to be a number of us that we can share knowledge with. Great. Bob Smalser has been a big help all ready.

With the weather the way it is here I'm going to check the basement for a possible 10 meter lane for some indoor practice until the outside temperatures get reasonable. Then I'll be able to practice from the covered porch, off hand or bench, toward the south which is hundreds of farm acreage that starts at the edge of the backyard. Need to start looking for some 10 meter targets and I've started thinking about building a light weight fold up bench to use also. Anyway, fun stuff that will keep this old dog out of mischief, maybe......

Going to check the inventory for I know there are some tins of pellets that I purchased with the original FWB 300S buy and some later purchases. Also, thinking I should order some MP-5 lubricant to use when necessary but sparingly. If I remember correctly very little of that type of maintenance is required with these FWB 300s. As you see I need to get up to speed on the proper procedures for the old girl.

Pat

Last edited by patseale; 03-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Goodtogo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I've known Joe R for a while and if you love old air guns and really love old FWB 300s. Then you should watch JWR try a new method on one of his 300 stocks(or maybe you wont want to see what he did to this poor stock?). It can bring a tear to your eye. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzPYHEbVylQ
Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodtogo View Post
Well I've known Joe R for a while and if you love old air guns and really love old FWB 300s.........
Bob Smalser, who has been a great help, put me on to Joe Rhea's youtube presentations which I have started working my way through. Not only are they a great learning tool, enjoyable, but they're also keeping me from getting wrapped around the axle. Had the pleasure of meeting Joe on the wireless the other evening. A real gent who obviously knows his stuff.

Last edited by patseale; 03-16-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found some targets from Sept. 7, 2006, the last time I had the FWB 300S out of the box. Thought I would post them so we can compare how I do when it’s possible to start shooting at 10 meters again, which will require that I’m outside. I’ll be waiting for a warming spell and in the mean time getting some sort of bench setup ready.

The targets in the photos were placed at 10 meters and each group was 10 rounds.The shots were from a bench rest with the diopter sight that came with the FWB 300S. The pellets were H&N Match, as you see in the pellet photo, packaged for Beeman. They were purchased the same day as the FWB, May 1981, and the price on the bottom of the tin shows $4.99. I think the price has escalated a bit since then. I've found there are still six tins in the inventory counting the tin in the photo. This has become a fun experience locating items I had collected for the FWB. Looking forward to being able to get sighted-in again and start practicing.

Last edited by patseale; 03-18-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Turning Green From Envy

You are a fortunate springer airgunner.