Rubber Pad Bedding a5-Teen - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Hi tomon,

I would pad bed it first, then shoot it. If more improvement is needed, then go for the second bedding screw.

Best Regards, Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomon View Post
Mark.... I took the rifle apart yesterday, and was thinking since it was apart anyhow, that I would install a second action screw. The question is..... try just bedding it, or do both at once????? Decisions Decisions Decisions! I, of course, have other gun and reloading projects waiting!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:51 PM
retroboats

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone have a test results to share after trying this method ?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:16 PM
david_root2000
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did it tonight on my new 513-T. I used inner tube patches, cut to fit, peel off back and stick. I could feel the rubber as I torqued the screw. I hope to try it at 50 yards tomorrow.

The bull barrel has stock tension on it. Going to shoot it and see. It has shot 1/2" @ 50 yards with CCI SV.
Thank you
A 22 shell was perfect to cut the hole.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM
david_root2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Report:

I cleaned it, fired 5 shots CCI SV at one tareget, then 5 more at the next. The second target was 3/4" Usually 1/2". I tried a remington golden bullet, CCI HP mini mag, Remington Target. all were under an inch. The remington target had a vertical string, common. It was not good ammo. I fired one last group with the CCISV, Same thing, 3/4" for 5 shots. I can't say it helped or not, it was windy and 31*f. I was wearing gloves only taking them off to load the magazine.

I used the A27 target with 5 bulls. With the SV and Remington target, I could still be on the bull after the shot. HV moved the rifle every time.

You folks are addictive. I have shot sporter rifle since 1995. I never benched a 22 at 50 yards until I started hanging around here.

So did the mod help? Not that I can see in one small sample. The ruber I used must have been too thick, the bolt just bareley picked up the ammo, sometimes missing the rim.

I alos have to note, my rifle still has a pressure point under the barrel. I left it there for now, just figuring out what it likes and getting the hang of irons. The rubber shims took pressure off the barrel.

Shims for the bolt came today. More fiddeling.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 12:16 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
tried three over the winter 510 , 511 , + 513 , no improvement in 510 + accuracy was worse in 511 + 513 after - only consistent accuracy mod that i have found is a shim putting upward pressure on forend tip - over the years i have even tried adding
a second action screw on one 511 that showed no accuracy impovement at all -
Old 04-20-2016, 02:19 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
tried three over the winter 510 , 511 , + 513 , no improvement in 510 + accuracy was worse in 511 + 513 after - only consistent accuracy mod that i have found is a shim putting upward pressure on forend tip - over the years i have even tried adding a second action screw on one 511 that showed no accuracy impovement at all -
I've always thought that if adding forend pressure worked, that was an indication of a bedding problem.

I just don't think we've figured out the magic fix for bedding the 5-teen platform.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:45 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
in many 5 teens there is usually some play in barrel to receiver fit that receiver bedding + dual action screws will not cure - even pressure on fore end tip + consistent tightening of single action screw will - this is why some users on this forum actually epoxy barrel to receiver -
Old 02-02-2017, 04:36 PM
tomon

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag44 View Post
Hi tomon,

I would pad bed it first, then shoot it. If more improvement is needed, then go for the second bedding screw.

Best Regards, Mark
AS this was brought back up, here is one of the targets shot at the last club 100yd. Bench shoot last year. I bedded the bottom of my 1966 DCM used rifle with the rubber spoke nut protector strip, and putting two pieces under the front of the barrel. A more proficient shooter may do better than this, but I shot my first 200pt. rimfire score at that distance. I used Remington Eley Club Extra. I mounted a japanese Tasco World Class 8-32 last year. I bought a used Sightron 36 power Benchrest scope here this winter, and have switched it out for this season.

Last edited by tomon; 04-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:46 PM
tomon

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Thumbs up

My 1941 commercial 513T with the original Redfield sights was shooting last year 185-191 using SK rifle Match. I bedded it this winter like the other one, but it showed gaps on each side of the receiver. I added a strip of the rubber on each side and hopefully stopped the ability to rock in the stock. I'll see if it will improve the groups at 100yd this year! I have 3-4 boxes of that SK ammo left to keep it level.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:24 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
tried it again in past few months on three others ( 2 513's + 1 521 ) under very controlled conditions + accuracy decreased - others on this forum have stated the same results - the only thing i have found that will consistently improve accuracy is fore end tension + tight action screw - action stability means nothing if the barrel is not positioned torqued properly for every shot - JMHO -
Old 02-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Hanover67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanover67
I have a 1941 511 which I transplanted into a 513 stock. I tire-liner bedded the receiver and built up an upward push for tension at the front of the forearm with a piece of plastic cut from a 35mm film canister and 2 layers of tire liner because the barrel channel on the stock was much wider than the 511 barrel. I also put a shim in the bolt to reduce headspace, and I installed a trigger shoe.

As a virgin 511 this was an accurate rifle, but I never measured it for group size. I now use it in local club "benchrest" matches with iron sights. It will consistently hold the 10-ring on the 50-yd smallbore target if I do my part
Old 02-04-2017, 04:04 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
try it with the rubber action + rear barrel bedding removed and see if accuracy changes - let us know results - i've had at least 3 club rifles over the years that had bolt shims break + lock bolt in action -
Old 02-12-2017, 11:52 AM
montveil
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rubber bedding 5 teens

I suppose the compression factor might be adjusted for if one uses a Wheeler type torque driver to keep the torque the same.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:06 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
as stated in post #5 rubber compression under torque will cause it to creep + lose resilience - , sound wood is a much better base - when Ray Crittenden designed this series of .22"s he used the one action screw + fore end tip pressure point for good reasons -