Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Acually shooting 1.25" groups I think it would have qualified for Tony's 100 yd game BEFORE this work but I was not happy with that.

I hope that it will now make the SSB 100 MOA game which is a bit tougher to make. Too early to say but I think it will make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 AM
nemohunter

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
all right Vince. i'm from the show me state. so whats up you are the first non nemo to have that chamber LOL. i wanna see some shooting dang it.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I went Friday nemo and to be honest was NOT shooting my best. I was trying several different ammos, cheap mostly and a bit of SK +.

So far it likes the SK+ the best (this was not true prior to rechambering) with Rem sub Sonic coming in second. Fed AE22, AM22, AE5022 were all not real impressive.

Either the rifle or me, not sure, but it would shoot a one hole group and then a 1/2" away flier. It was stringing shots diagonally. First group would be great. Second group would be not so hot.

I will post some groups on Monday. They are not horrible, just not what I want from this rifle. I think this rifle should shoot as well as my 10/22 SuperStockers and it is not

The plan:

1. First and foremost this scope HAS to go. It is, by far, the worst scope I own. Guess I'll have to steal an APV off of the Mossberg

2. Looking at the groups the rifle wants to shoot better than it is. I had planned to try some more ammo and then bed the rifle and retry the same ammo. The groups tell me I have a bedding problem. I kind of knew that anyway. I think I should just get on with bedding the rifle and putting a better scope on it.

I'll post a target, the best one this morning.....in a few minutes. I'll get it marked up and scanned and be back.

Last edited by Vincent; 02-11-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Woohooo fixin to see a target.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think All this shows the action/BARREL to have real promise.

Scope, bedding, bench technique and shooter all need much work.

The forearm is very thin on this rifle and it is fairly light so it sames that a "hard hold" on the rifle is giving best groups so far. Difficult part of that is being consistent with that hard hold.

I need to look at making front bag narrower to help with the rifle wanting to "fall over".

All and all this project is just about where I expected it to be at this point.

Now I need to scrape the funds together for more "good" ammo.

I think I may try Eley Target..... I think that is the same price as SK Standard +.

It also shoots pretty well with Rem SubSonic. Was 2nd best so far.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Vincent that rifle shows allot of promise. You are just now starting to break it in and it will only get better.

The forearm sounds as narrow as the CZ Trainer and it is not easy to hold it on a front rest consistantly. A narrower bag would help I believe.

I would suggest doing a Rigger shoot a little more cheap ammo in it for about 500 rounds , till the barrel is broke in good. Then bed it try your cheap ammo again and some good ammo.

I think this little rifle will be a great shooter.

Oh and by the way those are pretty good groups, or they are in my book.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:15 PM
nemohunter

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
yep it needs bedding. the barreled action is shifting in the stock. sorry that i made it not like cheap ammo BUT you wanted it to be the best. personally i owuld not buy a brick of the eley target maybe a couple boxes to start. it just dont shoot as well as Wolf in any of my rifles. i know every rifle is different but i own 8 or 9 something like that LOL.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I only plan on buying 100 of the Eley Target and 100 SK Match. May have to wait for funds though.

nemo I have ZERO complaints about you or your work on this barrel.

First of all I think I can find cheaper ammo that shoots plenty well for plinking. It is already doing reasonably well with Rem SubSonics and Fed AutoMatch. I'll post some of those groups tomorrow.

Rigrat it may need some break in but I will not wait to bed it. Remember that this rifle had 500 or more rounds through it before namohunter got the barrel.

This is a very sleek, nice looking and nice handling little rifle. Between my tuning and nemohunter's great barrel work I have no doubt this rifle will shoot very well. If I was still hunting this would be a great squirrel rifle and it already is good plinker.

Agoetz2005 used it to shoot spinners last week with AutoMatch. At 75 yards he very rarely missed the 1" steel spinner. He had a great time shooting it.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
New Eyes

Hod Rod got new eyes today.

Mueller APV in Angle Lock rings

Angle locks fit this rifle like they were made for it.

APV stolen from the Mossberg for now. 146 is going to be all iron sight later anyway

I can see, I can see!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Agoetz2005 really likes this little rifle so I let him sight it in for me with the new scope with Fed AE22.

We were at 40calcritters shop/range and the bench there make it almost impossible for me to shoot with front bag/rear bag/and still be able to see through a scope.

I ended up shooting at 75 yards with just a front rest. We were basically plinking but I concentrated on the 1" spinner and hit it about 25 shots straight(every shot I tried to shoot at it). Not bad at all for a hunting ammo

I am a little too poor at the moment to buy a bunch of "good" ammo. Trying to save as much as possible to make an extended trip back to CA to see my daughter and go camping with my buds in the desert.

When I return I will try some more decent ammo.

I have really come to like this little rifle. It was a good basic, if ugly, little rifle to start off with very nice metal work. Agoetz2005's stock work and nemohunter's barrel work combined with my action work is really making it a fine little rifle. I am very happy with it and there is much left in it with bedding and tuning.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
CoonSlayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe im the only one curious about it but i would love to here how this turned out.

Do you have any new information about the rifle yet?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hot Rod Serb is still very much alive and shooting well. I got wound up doing another rifle and have not really done much with it in the last couple months. Also a 3 week trip to CA took all my money and over a month of time (with planning and packing and such).

Still need to fiddle with the bedding and try some match ammo in it but all and all I am very pleased with this rifle.

nemohunter did a heck of a job on the barrel and I am really looking forward to working with it more. Unfortunately I hate shooting in the cold and money is tight right now so buying a bunch of expensive ammo will have to wait........maybe.

Maybe I will grab enough to have around for a warmish day. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Thanks for the interest.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Vince , If and when you get a chance to shoot it again be sure to post the results. Nice little rifle you are building and am interested in how Nemo's chamber does.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
MUCH LATER as in Feb 11, 2017!! Okay it is over 8 1/2 years later but I thought I would put a period on this project. I ended up tape bedding the rifle and it was shooting high .1's and low .2's @ 25 and well under 1/2" @ 50. Not bad for a very light rifle.

I traded it (really gave it away) to a now FORMER FRIEND for stock work on my Rem 700 in a Brown Precision (Chet Brown and Lee Six were the pioneers in high quality fiber glass and Kevlar stocks and changed shooting forever) hand laid fiberglass stock that I bought back in 1978 or 79 but shot it unfinished all this time. He was supposed to seal all the pin holes and paint it with a spider web type paint. He had it almost FOUR YEARS. This is a guy that ripped off many RFC members during the building of my SuperStock rifle African Rose that they donated money (stolen) and parts (I got some and he got some) and a barrel donated by BigSky1 he SOLD to a gunsmith and I had to come up with $100 to get back recently after 5 years (it is really worse than that but why go on?)!!

I had to threaten him with turning him into BATFE and the local Sheriff to get my 700 back!!

None of this is why he is my FORMER friend and I can not post what he did to earn FORMER FRIEND status but it is disgusting. I could have taken the Zastava back when he finally returned my half done 700. The thing was when I gave him the rifle he had a new baby boy and I wanted the Hot Rod Serb to be the baby's first rifle. Now the little guy is 5 years old and already knows about the rifle. I could not punish the child for the sins of the father.

So ends...or begins, the story of the HOT ROD SERB!! The boy will get a very nicely tuned Zastava CZ99. I know I would have loved it for my first rifle and I truly hope he grows up shooting it and loving it. Funny how things turn out some times isn't it?

Last edited by Vincent; 02-11-2017 at 07:17 PM.