Removing a tight barrel the easy way (big pics) - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)

Why isn't this in its own Sticky? Moderator?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM
MiamiDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I took the clamp off of my 4 month old carbine and the barrel fell out

Guess they have loosened up the specs, and it shoots like it. Dave
Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a good thread.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Heh heh heh...Dave you are not the first (or the last) to be surprised by that.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Loose fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDave View Post
I took the clamp off of my 4 month old carbine and the barrel fell out
I'll bet it was also verrrrrry easy to put together at the factory.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:41 PM
trk2ajk
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice, I used this method (from this post) several years ago, when installing my tac-sol bull barrel. now I need to get that tight fit barrel out, and install my new gemtech mist barrel. search for this thread for several hours.

WHY ISN'T THIS A STICKY?!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Physics one 0 one. Don't know how many times I get surprised by something I should already know. Good idea man thanks for sharing.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:37 AM
bTanZ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
removal & reinstall ...

i realize this thread is old but figure it may be the right place to ask this question ...

i have a Ruger receiver with a Volqu. CF tensioned bbl in it. upon install it was a 'heavy' press fit (dead blow, anti seize & a lil heat on the receiver). I now want to remove this bbl to use in another build and put a different aftermarket (iron sight) bbl in the same receiver.

can anyone share experience.
-how much plastic vs elastic deformation may i expect in the receiver from the first press fit?
-with a second bbl (aftermarket tenon size) press in again or is the hole baggy??

my only comparable experience is pressing bearings in aluminum wheels and cases and you get a few press fits before it becomes 'baggy'...

thoughts??
Old 12-05-2015, 10:52 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bTanZ View Post
i realize this thread is old but figure it may be the right place to ask this question ...

i have a Ruger receiver with a Volqu. CF tensioned bbl in it. upon install it was a 'heavy' press fit (dead blow, anti seize & a lil heat on the receiver). I now want to remove this bbl to use in another build and put a different aftermarket (iron sight) bbl in the same receiver.

can anyone share experience.
-how much plastic vs elastic deformation may i expect in the receiver from the first press fit?
-with a second bbl (aftermarket tenon size) press in again or is the hole baggy??

my only comparable experience is pressing bearings in aluminum wheels and cases and you get a few press fits before it becomes 'baggy'...

thoughts??
Have you considered using a heat gun on the receiver to gently heat it and expand the aluminum receiver? That's always been my method when installing tight barrels, plus a little anti seize on the stub....

The info below is from a prior post. Because you have a CF barrel, I would avoid the oven and apply directed heat with a heat gun and diffuser.

Quote:
Barrel Installation/Removal
I own 3 Kidd builds that all required heat/freezer to install, and have built several others that required thermal persuasion.
I freeze the barrel overnight, and bake the receiver at 250-275F.
They slip together easily. If you don't get the extractor lined up just right, no worries. Just heat the counterbore part of the receiver with a hair dryer or heat gun with a diffuser until you can twist the barrel. It also doesn't hurt to blow compressed air in the chamber to keep the barrel cool and prevent it from expanding. I install the barrel in a well lit area, with the receiver locked in a padded vise, upside down with the bolt in the receiver without the charging assembly-making alignment of the extractor hook easier.

To remove a barrel that has been assembled this way, freeze the barreled action overnight, then heat the receiver around the barrel stub/counterbore with a hair dryer or heat gun with a diffuser.

For stubborn barrels, I bake the barreled action at 250-275 for 30-60 minutes.
I figured out that using a can of computer "Dust Off" and insert a spray straw into the chamber. It's liquid CO2 and will cool things rapidly.
Cover the breech face with a rag to prevent blowback from hitting the inside of the receiver.

Give it a blast or two with the can held UPSIDE DOWN.
Cools and shrinks the barrel stub rapidly from the inside out
I've never had to use a barrel pusher or any type of impact technique using the methods I just described.

I developed this technique from working on cars and motorcycles. Stuck bolts and bleeder valves on brake calipers come loose easily with this method- heat the entire area, with the fastener, then rapidly cool the fastener to shrink it.

I then later applied it to barrels and receivers.

The locked-in, tight fit you get is stable and good for accuracy.
Also- apply anti-seize to the barrel stub before assembly, it makes rotating and removing the barrel MUCH easier.

Respectfully,

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 12-05-2015 at 10:55 AM.