Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

It is addressed in the rules that describe the rifles for each class.

For hunter class rifles designed to use a magazine, the magazine may not be loaded with more than five rounds and the rifle must be loaded from the magazine during the match. During a tie-breaking shoot-off, the rifle may be single loaded by hand.

Single shot rifles designed as such are allowed in the hunter class.

There is no requirement to use a magazine in standard class rifles.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
MontanaRanger
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-wres3 View Post
bump,just checking to see if there was a rule regarding single shot/vs magazine fed
I couldn't find a specific rule either way. Its generally accepted that you can shoot single shot rifles, but if you have a magazine the rules say all shots must be fed from the magazine. For what its worth here is the link to the PDF file of the rules that I use for reference.

http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf...sil-r-book.pdf
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
See rules 3.2.1 and 3.1.1.

Quote:
3.1.1 High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle - A hunting style rifle having
a maximum weight of 9 pounds, including sights and if applicable, an empty
magazine or clip. With the exception of single shot rifles, all other types must
be repeating rifles, which shall be fired by loading all cartridges from the
magazine or clip into the chamber. The intent of this rule is to describe a common hunting rifle.

3.2.1 Smallbore Hunting Silhouette Rifle - Identical to the description
of the High Power Hunting Silhouette Rifle, except that (a) the rifle may be a
single-loading rifle, (b) the weight may not exceed 8 1/2 pounds, (c) the rifle
shall be chambered for only factory loaded .22 caliber short, long or long rifle
rimfire cartridges, and (d) barrel turners or additional weights are not permitted.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM
ice-wres3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for that. I kinda knew it already but I was having a little trouble this morning seeing the obvious
Old 04-30-2014, 03:11 PM
fartsinpublic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"...be repeating rifles, which shall be fired by loading all cartridges from the
magazine or clip into the chamber.
The intent of this rule is to describe a common hunting rifle."

Someone can pick it apart if they really wanted to.

That rule is still open to interpretation and loosely defined. They should have specified "loaded within a magazine" or "from a magazine loaded prior to insertion". (There is also no differentiation of detachable box magazines, or fixed magazines, which can have all fired rounds come from the top, one at a time. It is still "from the magazine to the chamber.")

When I drop a round on top of my magazine feed lips, and close the bolt, the round is undeniably fed "from the magazine ... into the chamber". I'm not saying it was fed from within the magazine. It isn't hand fed directly into the chamber. It isn't miraculously balanced on the ejector. It is on the magazine, from where it is chambered.

As long as all rounds fired first rest upon the magazine feed lips, vs being inserted directly into the chamber by one's fingers, it satisfies the rule.

The rule defined the necessary step of being fed from a magazine, it didn't define the exceptions. The magazine could have no spring or follower, but as long as the round was picked up or chambered by the bolt from the magazine (somehow), it looks like it technically fits through a loophole.

(This is akin to the "creativity" in car racing of old, which followed the "Ya' didn't say I couldn't" principle, which created all the "thou shall not" rules)
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
MontanaRanger
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartsinpublic View Post
"...be repeating rifles, which shall be fired by loading all cartridges from the
magazine or clip into the chamber.
The intent of this rule is to describe a common hunting rifle."

Someone can pick it apart if they really wanted to.

That rule is still open to interpretation and loosely defined. They should have specified "loaded within a magazine" or "from a magazine loaded prior to insertion". (There is also no differentiation of detachable box magazines, or fixed magazines, which can have all fired rounds come from the top, one at a time. It is still "from the magazine to the chamber.")

When I drop a round on top of my magazine feed lips, and close the bolt, the round is undeniably fed "from the magazine ... into the chamber". I'm not saying it was fed from within the magazine. It isn't hand fed directly into the chamber. It isn't miraculously balanced on the ejector. It is on the magazine, from where it is chambered.

As long as all rounds fired first rest upon the magazine feed lips, vs being inserted directly into the chamber by one's fingers, it satisfies the rule.

The rule defined the necessary step of being fed from a magazine, it didn't define the exceptions. The magazine could have no spring or follower, but as long as the round was picked up or chambered by the bolt from the magazine (somehow), it looks like it technically fits through a loophole.

(This is akin to the "creativity" in car racing of old, which followed the "Ya' didn't say I couldn't" principle, which created all the "thou shall not" rules)
Thats just sad. Its people trying their hardest to skirt the rules instead of just obeying the intent of the rule that causes us to get more and more thou shalt not rules. Next competition I hope the director stands beside you and watches and if your round falls off the magazine before you close the bolt he disqualifies you.

And its not fed 'from the magazine' when you place it there, its fed from on top of the magazine. I'd DQ ya. And find a jury that would agree with me.

Next thing you are going to wear anschutz shooting boots and say they aren't shooting equipment, they are hiking boots since I hiked to the line from the car in them.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
fartsinpublic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't say I do it, just that the rules appear loosely written, should someone wish to seek a loophole.

The coin of intent has two sides.

Personally, I'm just out to have fun.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM
fartsinpublic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PS: we wear rubbah slippahs (aka Flip Flops) all year round.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 PM
ice-wres3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just a little bump......
Keep the rules fresh for everyone.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:48 PM
thauglor

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Does anyone have any older (pre 2000) rulebook copies in pdf? I am interested in how the equipment rules have changed over the many years.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:34 PM
bigrobbiehoward

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to bigrobbiehoward Send a message via MSN to bigrobbiehoward
Does the taper on a CZ452V barrel qualify it for Hunter class since it's not a bull or straight taper barrel? Same question but for the tapered aftermarket barrels that go on a 10-22.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 AM
ice-wres3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi bigrob,
some where in a recent discussion it was determinedwith Sophia's helpthat the 452/453 varmint would qualify for Hunter. Sorry I can't dig it up right now. I'm having a brain lapse moment and can't remember which thread it was in.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobbiehoward View Post
Does the taper on a CZ452V barrel qualify it for Hunter class since it's not a bull or straight taper barrel? Same question but for the tapered aftermarket barrels that go on a 10-22.
Yes. And Yes, provided that the 10-22 stock fits with Hunter class rules.