Quick and easy screw head repair by 'Bubba' - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 AM
rico903
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tango View Post
Excellent post. That's the kind of information that led me to this forum.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mene22s View Post

Peening the burrs on the head saves metal on the screw head- And use the thinnest file you can get .
Agree, that is the way I am doing it, too.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:45 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
In the winter when they're no skunks around, IMA.
Al.............you crack me up!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:08 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMountain View Post
Anyone who buys used guns will run across screws that were turned with a tapered screwdriver. I like the trick with the towel/sandpaper
I do a lot of restoration on older Stevens single shot rifles as time allows, mainly over these winter months, only because I like them suckers, and it SOOTHES me. Most all of those old beat-up rifles will be found with odd-ball threads with buggered up slots in the screw heads. So, making new screws gets too involved with setting up the lathe with different gears, etc. I've tried peening the folded up, rolled over metal, done by communist infiltrators sneaking across guarded boarders and into our GREAT Republic. The heck with that crap, To me it's a waste of valuable time. What I have been doing for several years now, is to TIG weld the screw head with 3% nickel rod, reshape the screw head so it's sort of back to being oval, and then cut a brand new slot into that screw on my milling machine, using a slitting saw, 0.020 to 0.030 wide. Much easier to do and I'm not so inclined to reach for any help, to relax afterward.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I do a lot of restoration on older Stevens single shot rifles as time allows, mainly over these winter months, only because I like them suckers, and it SOOTHES me. Most all of those old beat-up rifles will be found with odd-ball threads with buggered up slots in the screw heads. So, making new screws gets too involved with setting up the lathe with different gears, etc. I've tried peening the folded up, rolled over metal, done by communist infiltrators sneaking across guarded boarders and into our GREAT Republic. The heck with that crap, To me it's a waste of valuable time. What I have been doing for several years now, is to TIG weld the screw head with 3% nickel rod, reshape the screw head so it's sort of back to being oval, and then cut a brand new slot into that screw on my milling machine, using a slitting saw, 0.020 to 0.030 wide. Much easier to do and I'm not so inclined to reach for any help, to relax afterward.

I like your choice of adult refreshment, I'm puzzled as the bottle looks full yet there's some in the glass.

Rich
Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
I like your choice of adult refreshment, I'm puzzled as the bottle looks full yet there's some in the glass.

Rich
What's in the glass came from that bottle. shortly thereafter, the glass was empty.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
What's in the glass came from that bottle. shortly thereafter, the glass was empty.
Had friend give me a bottle of this for mounting the scope on his Remington R25 in .243.

It's interesting

Rich
Old 03-12-2015, 10:15 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
Had friend give me a bottle of this for mounting the scope on his Remington R25 in .243.

It's interesting

Rich
Now....................THAT, is a TRUE FRIEND. So, did it pass the taste test? Nothing like sitting out on the front porch with three fingers and two cubes watching the sun set on a hot summer evening.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Now....................THAT, is a TRUE FRIEND. So, did it pass the taste test? Nothing like sitting out on the front porch with three fingers and two cubes watching the sun set on a hot summer evening.
I'm liking it, will probably get another when this one has evaporated ;-)
Tend to agree about watching the sun set, I sit out there in the snow and revel in the days that are clear enough to enjoy seeing it.

Rich