NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I saw the shrinkwrap

referral. I am going to test it.

ret
Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
This is all very interesting. I have noticed that when using a sight extension which gives me a longer sight radius my scores go down. Recently Eric Uptagraff has started producing a tuner to go along with his sight extension tube and clamp. I spoke with him about my experience dropping points using a tube and he said that the clamp alters the harmonics of the barrel and without a tuner in conjunction with the extension I'm left being better off without the advantage of a longer sight radius. This O ring/shrink wrap thing is worth trying. I have only shot my air rifles in my basement since the cold weather hit and looks like rain and snow for Christmas here, but the first break in the weather I'm giving this O ring thing a day or three at the range.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
More Tests.

If I had known it would be windy, would have stayed home. But then again, I rarely have a bad day shooting. A constant breeze from rear left , high 30's, clear sky. All fired in sequence shown.

As noted:

Upper target.
10 shots @ 50 yds. No O Rings.
Lower target
10 shots, 50 yds. w/ 2 O rings.

Upper target
10 shots @ 25 yds. No O rings.
Lower target
10 shots, 25 yds. w/ 2 O rings.

Left target
10 shots @ 25 yds. w/ 2 O rings.
Right target
10 shots @ 25 yds. No O rings.

Left target
10 shots @ 50 yds. No O rings.
Right target
10 shots @ 50 yds. w/2 O rings.

More to come,

ret

Last edited by RET; 01-02-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Jerel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ural Overhaul XI O Ring /Ammo Testing

RET,

Have you done anymore testing on the effect of the o rings? I am looking forward to reading more.

Have a great week,

Jerel
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
More testing

will wait until warmer weather. In Tulsa, 4 snow / cold weather records were set yesterday.... & more on the way. Continuance of this project appears to be several weeks away.

ret
Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM
STBE Harris

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
O rings

Ret

How much tension are you putting on with the O-rings? My guess is you probably cant say, so how about what is the diameter of the barrel and the size of the O-rings. Is it a tight fit? If so how are you gettting them on? I know it would not look pretty but you could try a hose clamp for a cheap tensioning device that is adjustable with a protective piece of leather or rubber between the barrel and clamp. Just a question and a thought!

Thanks STBE
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great question, but I do not know

the answer. I know the barrel diameter is .890 and the ring is .780. I bought @ hdwe. store, so is probably .750 ring. I bought a 5 pack, but decided only 2 will be used.

Change of subject: anyone here have experience w/ Ultra RVC bedding. Similar in nature to my goals.

http://www.fire-iron.biz/Fire___Iron...a-R___Gri.html

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=47482

I have glass bedded many rifles, but never considered this type of information. Makes sense to me, but who has used the product?

I think I want to run a few experiments on a Savage .20 Practical build. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=374951

-------------------------

Note..... My BB laminate stock is on the way! I may try the Ultra on it also.

More to come,

ret
Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM
calixt0

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I want to know what you find out with the bedding. I was told at one point that any bedding of the CM-2 or ural will glue the action into the stock.

On the O-rings is it something that you would recommend for others to try?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixt0 View Post
I want to know what you find out with the bedding. I was told at one point that any bedding of the CM-2 or ural will glue the action into the stock.

On the O-rings is it something that you would recommend for others to try?
Bedding will only glue together if release agent is not applied, but that applies to any rifle. I am almost ready to apply the bedding to my latest project >>https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=374951&page=4

I will pick pick up the Ural bedding in cooler weather (106* today)

The "O" rings can be tried for a few pennies, so try it. No down side.

ret
Old 07-11-2011, 01:01 AM
calixt0

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET View Post
Bedding will only glue together if release agent is not applied, but that applies to any rifle. I am almost ready to apply the bedding to my latest project >>https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=374951&page=4

I will pick pick up the Ural bedding in cooler weather (106* today)

The "O" rings can be tried for a few pennies, so try it. No down side.

ret
yea I understand the release compound but I heard that the bottom design (meat tenderizer look) makes it practically impossible to get it covered well enough to ensure a release
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 AM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixt0 View Post
yea I understand the release compound but I heard that the bottom design (meat tenderizer look) makes it practically impossible to get it covered well enough to ensure a release
Any surface other than smooth certainly increases possibility of adhesion, but you could try these options:

1. Bed with a thin plastic bag covering bottom of receiver. WD-40 bag 1 day prior to allow it to dry. WD-40 will not allow bag to stick and bag will not allow compound to creep over the milled lips. See image. Do not use to much compound!

2. Bed with thin aluminum siding samples rubber cemented to bottom of receiver. Samples are thick enough to remain in place and disallow problem of receiver sticking in wood. Do you want a smooth bedding job?

OR

3. Fill receiver bottom checkering with play dough and bed or aluminum foil worked into receiver bottom.

These ideas have different outcomes and all would achieve your goals. Decide your goals and trade off points and move forward.

ret

Last edited by RET; 07-11-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:44 PM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET View Post
one considers the ease with which this may be accomplished. I have been aware of it for years, but never tested anything. No different than the concept of slight up pressure on the end of a stock, on a light barrel...... and that is recognized as contributing to better accuracy with specific barrels.

And, no different outcomes than those huge toilet plungers on barrels for the same purpose.

[/U][/I] >>> Clarify please.<<<<<<

I fired this barrel with all of this same ammo a few months ago, and accuracy was much less ...across the board. I thought I posted it here. If anyone knows where it is, put a link here to compare everything.

The shots were all at 25 yds. for the pre- "O" ring ammo test.

I posted the link to my original thought of doing my own test on >>> 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM on this very thread. This site refuses to show the link to the other rimfire site, so I spelled it out. Check it out yourself.

"This link influenced my test, www . rim fire shooting . com >> then look up >> Suhl homemade barrel tuner rubber O ring deresonator. This link refuses to post properly."

More testing to come,

ret
try this https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=400765
Old 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well now............

the saga continues.

ret