Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 PM
aratron

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CDNN Vostok CM2 Condition

Hi All

I am new to the forum and just recently got into the 3P hobby. I would highly appreciate any input on everyone's experience with their CM2 purchase. This will be my spare practice gun, first one being the Suhl 150.

What are the the condition of your CDNN's Vostok CM2? I called and asked the sales person at CDNN, but since each used rifle is different, they weren't able to give me a definite answer. So I thought it will be good to get some feedbacks here on the forum with everyone's expereince.

I noticed they have two general conditions that is supposed to include sights and everything.

Average to Good condition
Good to excellent condition

They also have guns with cracked stock and no sights, which I will exclude in our discussion.

Price difference is significant and I will be refinishing the stock regardless. Does it make a difference to spend more for the better condition? How about the included sights? Any parts missing with your purchase?

Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 PM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
No matter what condition you decide, make sure you get both the rear and front sight with it. As long as you get all the metal parts, making a stock for it is not really that hard since you do not have to deal with a magazine well, if you are so inclined.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM
aratron

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
According to the CDNN sales person I spoke to. Both the front globe and rear diopter are included. Not sure about the inserts though ....

That is especially why I want to see what is everyone's past experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 10:14 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is some good reading here.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=238510
The old vintage CM-2 & Ural rifles was hot & heavy talk here 1 & 2 years ago....but kind of cooled off.
The best deal is the older Ural rifles...then the CM-2 next.

to RFC.

Midwest Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 10-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I don't have one of the CDNN CM-2's, I bought mine new. I compete with mine and feel that it holds its own against anything. I think the rifle is as accurate as any rifle on the firing line. I'm currently using SK Std + as practice ammo and Lapua Center X for match ammo.
The negative's on the CM-2 boil down to the model being old technology in terms of the stock (which is fixable) and sights (also fixable). There are several stock issues, lack of adjustable cheekpiece, grip lacks adequate palm swell and length, accessory rail is not standard for european or american handstops or palm rests and I'm not particularly fond of the buttplate. All of these things are fixable or replaceable.
The rear sight threads are m9x1 so Gehman or Centra adjustable iris's won't work. Get another rear sight. Front globe is not 18mm, but something smaller but plastic inserts are available for it or can be sized down easily to fit and I LOVE the plastic inserts. I have had my barrel drilled and tapped for a dovetail base so that I could use an Anschutz globe with my adjustable iris and after using it I switched back to the original factory Izhmash globe and plastic insert because I like it better.
The trigger on the CM-2 will not get down to the 2 oz trigger pull weight that an Anschutz trigger will, but it is still light enough for a prone rifle and I like the feel of it.
So, all the negatives are on the table. Taking all that into consideration I'm really happy with my CM-2 and I'd buy another one....new.

Last edited by Charlotte; 10-08-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 AM
aratron

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for all the info. I actually shot them for some time in our local rifle club. And simply fall in love with them. Like everything else from the former USSR. It is a lot of gun for very little $.

I considered the new ones. But have heard from a few RFC threads that the older models are build more robust. And of course, cheaper as well.

My main concerns were really about buying them used from CDNN. Because one person's "average" or "good" condition rating could be another man's "junk" rating. I was really wondering if anyone who purchased from CDNN got one in condition they would consider as really "good condition"
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I just got one Thursday. It was well used, but no cracks in the stock. I'm going to shoot it, and if it shoots as good as the guy who sold it to me says it does, I'm going to steel wool the barrel down and reblue and completely refinish the stock.

I like the gun. There are several things I don't like, Charlotte mentioned some of them. If I do keep it, I think I'm going to modify it. I'm not worried about the collectors value, I just want to tweek a few things to fit what I want to do with it. I've got a few ideas but most purists may not like what I have in mind. Who knows, I may just leave it as is.

I'm just beginning to learn about these guns. It should be a fun learning experience.

Good Luck with your choice.

Kenny
Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Contemporary CM-2 or Surplus VOSTOK CM-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aratron View Post
Thanks for all the info.
I actually shot them for some time in our local rifle club....
And simply fall in love with them....
Were you firing the contemporary version of the CM-2 or a vintage VOSTOK CM-2?
If you had handled the new models.
Perhaps, you would be better-off purchasing a good, clean, used rifle versus a surplus CM-2.
Charlotte has had a lot of experiance in improving the contemporary version.
I would search for her threads and posts - double click on Search below ... then, Search Now.
CM-2 Pictures ... Charlotte
Search: Keyword(s): match, rifle ; Posts Made By: Charlotte ; Forum: Russian Rimfires & Biathlon and child forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest swiss View Post
The best deal is the older Ural rifles...
then the CM-2 next....
The VOSTOK Ural rifles are more sophisticated that the entry-level VOSTOk CM-2's.
By virtue of the three-lug lock-up.

Regardless of which vintage VOSTOK rifle you purchase.
Be aware that spare parts are virtually non-existent.

By the way, have you taken a gander at RET's excellent thread:
Ural Overhaul X .... RET
And, here's some more stuff for you to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
VOSTOK CM-2 & Ural (УРАЛ) Rimfires Redone
Front sight tube diameter? ..... For Vostok Ural and Vostok CM-2
VOSTOK Different Model Variations

RimFire Technologies rails on my URAL..lots of pics
Public Notice from the former Rimfire Technologies Web site Administrator

Anschutz, CZ, Sako Quad, Savage or Marlin
Rimfire Technologies rails are HERE!!!

Adjustable iris? ... VOSTOK CM-2 & Ural Rear Sight Apertures Compared

цена 1 щелчка на 50м - 2.5мм ... 1 click at 50 meters is 2.5 millimeters | SweetGun

soon to arrive cm-2 vostok | frisky-maddog ... Side Dovetail Dimensions by AzizaVFR

Ural CM-2 Bolt Disassembly | RET

How to Disassemble CM-2 Bolt

Vostock CM2 Bolt Re-Assembly - pawn

Vintage VOSTOK: CM-2 Bolt Disassembly & Reassembly ... Video by midwest swiss

New Article About The Vostok | ultramag44

Oh, where are my manners?
As midwest swiss said .... Welcome to the Forum.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
regardless of whether you get a new or used one the stock and sight issues are going to be the same.

Last edited by Charlotte; 10-09-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 AM
aratron

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe the ones I shot were the surplus version. The rifle club had a few of them, and the stock finish had various shades of coatings. Ranging from darker mahogany to lighter shades of oak. I did not pay too much attention to the receiver inscription, so could not provide any helpful info.

Thanks again for all your inputs. I think I will simply go ahead and purchase one and pray I get a good one. If not, just work on it to make it great.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good Luck ... Keep Us Abreast

aratron ... Gook luck with your project. .
And, keep us abreast of your happenings - aom22
Old 10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
ultramag44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Aratron, welcome to the forum.

Many members in our club have CM-2's, Urals. All are surplus guns. Be aware there several styles of CM-2's.

The Urals do have the 3-lug bolts, however, I have not noted them to be more accurate then individual CM-2's. It seems to come down to individual rifles; and that all important barrel condition.

Scope mounting can be done WITHOUT modifying the gun. Depending on how the peep sight was mounted will determine how to proceede.

Good luck.

Last edited by ultramag44; 10-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
aratron

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Status Update

I receive the three "Average to Good Condition" CM2 I purchased from CDNN last week. Finally took them home today.

However, I am somewhat mixed regarding the condition of these guns.

One rifle was made in Bulgaria and two USSR. All three have stock in different color stain finish and different length and style. One of them is a traditional monte carlo and other two are more target benchrest.

First, the good things. The condition of the barrel, muzzle, action are very decent. A good cleaning should bring them to top shooting shape. Trigger pull on two of them are so very light. I don't have a gauge, but it should measure somewhere around 1 pound.

Now the bad.

I was not expecting perfection but the condition of the stock is really poor. The finish can be easily remedy by stripping and sanding, and refinish with linseed oil sometimes later of course. But they also have quite a large cuts that can not be saved. The adjustable butt plate is missing on one of them. The same rifle is also missing a trigger travel adjustment screw. So the trigger travel is extremely long and almost unusable. The front inserts are not as described, only one of them is globe. I actually talked to the salesman at the time of the order and specifically ask if they can ship all three with globe inserts. But they did not keep their promise.

So I called and complained to CDNN about all these problems. And they only will give me a trigger screw and adjustable buttplate for my trouble. Still waiting for those parts to come. Not sure if they will even work

All in all, these CM2 are terrific value for the money, but I got to say that buying these surplus from CDNN sure is a gamble. You will get a a shooter, but anything beyond that is pure luck.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 AM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CDNN VOSTOKs ... Roll of the Dice

Quote:
One of them is a traditional monte carlo ....
How about posting a photo of this unusual model.

Quote:
The adjustable butt plate is missing on one of them.
The same rifle is also missing a trigger travel adjustment screw.
The front inserts are not as described, only one of them is globe.
I actually talked to the salesman at the time of the order
and specifically ask if they can ship all three with globe inserts.
Have you considered sending the two rifles without globe sights back to CDNN?
And, take another roll-of-the-dice.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
aratron

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Will certainly post a shot of the stock later. It is not completely different from the standard cm2 stock. But, the fore end is much longer then my other two regular model. The rear cheek piece is rounded at the top, not unlike the typical monte carlo style stock.

I am from California, and even for rifles we have a 10 days waiting period, and it cost $35 at the minimum to initiate this process each time. The barrel and action are good, so I would rather try to fix some mirror issues then take another chance and spend money for background check again.

Thanks for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
How about posting a photo of this unusual model.

Have you considered sending the two rifles without globe sights back to CDNN?
And, take another roll-of-the-dice.