Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:36 AM
antipodean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
need help with model 29

just taken delivery of a model 29 pump, grooved forend, no checkering, octagonal barrel, SN. 112327. any idea of the date? early firing pin, so SV only. it was very loose in the takedown joint, but when you put the takedown screw in the correct way, it fits just fine. lot of surface rust but minimal pitting, excellent bore considering the external condition, couple of bits of wood missing at the wrist of the stock, buttplate is composition not steel, I thought the early ones had steel buttplates? also missing is the magazine retainer screw and bushing, being in Australia, these bits will be impossible to obtain, has any of our American cousins got a spare screw and bushing they would be able to send me? $$ up front of course. previous owner has drilled and tapped the front magazine dovetail fitting and put a set screw through it to hold the tube in place, not very well done at all, and barely functional. I will do a range test on Wednesday and see what SV it likes. cost equivalent of $210 US, did I do well? thanks for reading.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The changes in the firing pin & bolt were done in 1931 so yours is before that, I have one in the low 130,000 that is checkered and it has the later bolt & firing pin so I would put yours close to the change. I also have one in the low 124,000's but it's in the back of a safe & I don't remember which bolt it had.

The magazine screw is a #5 flat head, I'm not sure of the threads but it seems #5 screws were not a popular size & hard to find. he head can't be very high or it will hit the inner magazine tube. If you can find a screw I've used small lock washers as a substitute for the bushing, not correct but it works - I think I may have had to use 2 to get the right height, take pliers & straighten them out.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:17 PM
antipodean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks sav22, for the thread info. the other thing I noticed is that there is no suffix after the SN. is this normal for an early rifle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The early guns didn't have a suffix, the L suffix was added to the Savage's after they combined the house brands, the Stevens 75's and the Savage's into a single serial number sequence. House brands used a K, Stevens used an M - the M did not last long, later Stevens marked guns used a K like the house brands.