Squirrel hunting ammo - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I've been a rimfire squirrel hunter for about 55 years. I only recently started tinkering with subsonic.

I've used Yellow Jackets, CCI SV, Stingers, and many other off the shelf common rounds. Never ever blamed a miss or a wound on the ammo or the rifle.

Lately, I'm liking RW Subsonic, Ely SS, and CCI subsonic. All are hollow points. I've been rethinking this a bit. I only shoot for the head, so I don't think the HP is necessary. I'm a very conservative shot with most being 20-40 yards.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 AM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Minute of Squirrel head takes enough precision, these have delivered for me.

Rheinisch Westfälische Sprengstoff, Subsonic Hollow Points
Old 10-21-2019, 07:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
....., it really doesn't matter.
Round nose, flat nose, hollow point,
I agree with this. RV, FN and HPs all work just fine.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bikerr View Post
I use whatever ammo is most accurate in the gun I am using. .....

This!
I use the Rem-Eley RN lead.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifle has high scope rings.
Will be on at 25yds,
1/2" high at 40,
on again at 50,
1" low at 60.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Minute of Squirrel head takes enough precision, these have delivered for me.

Rheinisch Westfälische Sprengstoff, Subsonic Hollow Points
I've also had good performance from RWS hp subs.

As others have self touted; it must be nice to be a perfect shot every time and never have a squirrels move a split second before the shot therefore possibly wounding with a run-off, especially with rn ammo. Must be nice.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:31 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
As others have self touted; it must be nice to be a perfect shot every time and never have a squirrels move a split second before the shot therefore possibly wounding with a run-off, especially with rn ammo. Must be nice.
^^^^^

This is why I am very conservative with my shots, staying under 25 yards. If the shot is iffy, I aim for the thorax or just pass.

Also why I like a very light trigger so that I can get a fast trigger break.

I once aimed a little too high and put a perfectly round hole through a squirrel's ear. Killed it with a second shot, but I could have shot off a nose, lower jaw, etc.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:51 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I've also had good performance from RWS hp subs.

A good point Al. Because the SSHP's open up, a squirrel moving at the last second may well not crawl off and hide under a fallen tree. When I was younger we did hunt with HVRN's and I do believe their "Hydro Shock" abilities probably make them ok to use but I wouldn't at all want to use a solid "slower" RN for squirrel. Now, the main theme for me is Known rifle performance and Known ammo performance and no bad performance on my behalf.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just in case I was misunderstood, I did not write I don’t miss, I do, but not because of the rifle or round.

Last edited by bowwild; 10-21-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used everything but the hyper-velocity stuff. Grays and the small Maine reds. Prefer CCI or Eley sub-HPs.

Don't see a significant decrement in killing power vs HS stuff. Don't mind the increased accuracy, though not sure that matters matters at squirrel distances.

But my sporters are not dedicated squirrel rifles, and that increased accuracy with subs does matter for things taken at greater distance.

Subs are quieter, too, and that's nice. Most reds are taken at CCI Quiet Seg distance (< 25 yds), so may try them on those this winter. Quiet like a kid's cap gun. They kill large rats just fine.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Over the years I've tried a wide variety of rounds while squirrel hunting, from hypers to CB'S, cheap bulk ammo to top end match stuff. Everything has pros and cons, but a little experimentation and thought will enable you to choose something most suitable for the location and vegetation hunted in. Even airguns work when the situation fits. I'm 54 now, having hunted here in the northern half of Alabama since the early '80s, and have chosen the subsonic hollowpoint as the most suited for here. If I got to hunt places where range gets out past 75 yards, I would very likely use one of the .17 cartridges.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About a year ago got my suppressor out of NFA jail and have been hunting exclusively with subsonic ammo ever since. Tried a variety of standard velocity hollow points, all seemed equal in general effectiveness on game. In my rifle, best combination of accuracy and quietness is the 45 grain CCI suppressor load. Good stuff.

I hunted for years with 36 gr CCI mini mag hollow points. That load dropped a squirrel with authority, even when not optimally hit. I find that standard velocity ammo just doesn’t have the same anchoring power. Shot placement is more critical. Found myself going exclusively for head shots as a result.

That said, suppressed is definitely worth the trade off. In the process of having some of my other.22s threaded. If legal in your state, I highly recommend going thru the process.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:44 PM
chuck jones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
most accurate ammo for the gun
Old 10-24-2019, 06:46 PM
SDPhoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I prefer subsonic because it's quieter. Doesn't scare every squirrel for a mile around. I use CCI std velocity or Eley Target.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:48 PM
S&W K22
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been using some Remington Rifle Match left over from the 1960s. It's standard velocity and shoots great in my Volquartsen rifle.