B.B. guns - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I have a few Daisy 853 .177 pellet rifles and a lot of other people do too. If you look at the offhand matches at 33 feet here on RFC, you can see how popular they are. A single cocking stroke compresses the air and the trigger releases the air, not a spring. The result is more accuracy. Can't be pumped up. Every dealer in air guns have them. You can get them used and rebuilt from CMP as well.
I'm on board with the 853s. They're a remarkable rifle at 10 meters!

My two...

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BB Guns

When I was a kid, I had a Daisy Model 25 pump BB gun. I kept it in good condition until I made the mistake of loaning it to a "friend". He stored it in a wet basement and let it get really rusty. Meanwhile, years later (this year) I found one of the guns just like the one I had and bought it at an auction. Works great and takes me back about 50 years. I also have a Webley Tempest pistol that is great shooting fun!
Old 07-01-2019, 01:55 PM
KITROBASKIN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We ended up getting a Crosman M4-177. The Crosman 2100 is said to be even harder to pump for a young person. Our 9 year old is cocking and loading OK but it is strenuous for him. Accuracy with BB's is not good (3-4 inches). The Crosman pellets that came with the rifle shoot 5 pellets in less than an inch at 39 feet. This is with a scope.

Curiously, I can get close to an inch with 5 shots at the same distance shooting BB's out of the Daisy 499B. Being that a scope is not mountable on that rifle, I taped a cheap laser diode and a coin cell to the front of the barrel. Using a Millet rifle rest like the other accuracy tests, it was discovered that the act of squeezing the trigger was not consistent due to the unusual method of holding the rifle while viewing the laser spot on the target. One can see the laser spot bump in different directions. In addition, the laser required a lower light environment not really conducive to precise viewing of the target...

The retractable stock on the M4-177 gives the boy options. The peep sight on the carrying handle has play in it, and mounting a scope on the plastic Picatinny rail may be an issue. The magazine for pellets may not be particularly fast, but it is effective.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There are different dia. BBs, the better the fit to the bore the better but I wouldnt shoot steel BBs through a rifled bore. There are lead ones available.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:23 AM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Fwiw, small game requires more than a BB Gun. Those are probably somewhat fun but have no serious use.
I have a re-make of the Red Ryder I grew up with for that funnin' around.
BUT, BEWARE, you'll put yer eye out!
For SMALL game up close its a real-deal .177 Air Rifle with some beans; wouldnt ever consider a turkey unless I had one of those large caliber HD pre-charged rifles and even then I am quite sure it would be illegal in my state. You may want to check your game laws.
He's right .not a hunting gun in the bunch .I have a half doz of the replica guns and they are fun ,but at all near enough energy to do more than injure wile life. find an old Beeman R1 in 22 cal then you can hunt .~~JMJ~~
Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 PM
krunchnik

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Benjamin 392 in .22 caliber with a Williams Peep sight-very accurate and punches a pellet completely thru a steel coffee can-I like the lack of recoil like would be with a springer-I find easier to shoot accurately.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:09 AM
Mossbergman

TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krunchnik View Post
Benjamin 392 in .22 caliber with a Williams Peep sight-very accurate and punches a pellet completely thru a steel coffee can-I like the lack of recoil like would be with a springer-I find easier to shoot accurately.
Have an old one of those in 20Cal hard hitter and very accurate ~~JMJ~~
Old 08-08-2019, 05:51 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
A few pump pellet BB guns here . . .

. . . this 822 was found at a San Antonio Texas pawn shop for a very reasonable price. As the name implies, it is a .22 caliber pellet rifle.

Here is an old Benjamin 3100 'tootsie roll' pump handle purchased here at the RFC For Sale / Trade forum (I forget who the seller was - forgive me ). It has a gravity fed 60 .177 BB capacity atop of the barrel.

And a pair of more modern Benjamins, the 397 and 392. The last one with Williams aperture rear sight. The 397 was one of our 'house mousers', eradicating mice from the often left ranch cabin when we arrived. A single pump did the job without indoor richochet issues (well, most of the time anyway ).

Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Farmerplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You CANNOT go wrong with the Crosman M4-177. Also, the Umarex M712 has a horrible problem. You run out of B.B.s and air too soon! Still, cheaper than shooting a real subgun.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:14 AM
Mossbergman

TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
I been getting into more B.B. guns lately. Mainly to practice with and for small game as a prepper. A source of meat. Squirrels and turkeys ect.

Check these out,,

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...chine_Gun/4312

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Legen...ull_Metal/3487

Even the semi auto handguns are a hoot to shoot too.
if that your choices for prepping and getting meat Good Luck .You need a real pellet gun BB guns are fancy toys ~~JMJ~~
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An old thread bounced to the top LOL
I don't think bb guns should be used for hunting, that's what pellet guns are for.

I have the P-08 Umarex, and enjoy it. I managed to get extra clips somewhere cheap, as I remember they can be $$$.

The original gun started leaking through the valve after thousands of shots. I sent it back about a month after the warranty was up, and they sent me a replacement. I didn't have to pay for return shipping either, and it was t here within a week.

Both guns shot to point of aim, which is nice. I was just shooting it 3 days ago, in fact.

Pictured with actual P-38
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luger_walther.jpg (253.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:32 AM
Mossbergman

TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
An old thread bounced to the top LOL
I don't think bb guns should be used for hunting, that's what pellet guns are for.
And not all pellet guns fill that niche ~~JMJ~~
Old 10-23-2019, 07:27 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
In the olden days we took BB guns to war...

In the olden days, we took our trusty BB guns to war. Our only safety rule was head shots were not allowed. I think we were ages 7 - 12 and snuck through the woods developing stealth and surprise. Parents wondered why we wore heavy clothing in the summer.

As to hunting with our BB guns, we did kill a small bird or two, but very soon felt bad about doing so. Ants, grasshoppers, wasps etc. became our prey. One year we had Tent Caterpillars and they would be silhouetted on a leaf up in the tree. A BB shot through the leaf would get them, confirmation being the green drippings. One advantage we had over real hunters is that we never had to field dress our game, nor drag anything out of the woods.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:19 AM
Mossbergman

TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
In the olden days, we took our trusty BB guns to war. Our only safety rule was head shots were not allowed. I think we were ages 7 - 12 and snuck through the woods developing stealth and surprise. Parents wondered why we wore heavy clothing in the summer.

As to hunting with our BB guns, we did kill a small bird or two, but very soon felt bad about doing so. Ants, grasshoppers, wasps etc. became our prey. One year we had Tent Caterpillars and they would be silhouetted on a leaf up in the tree. A BB shot through the leaf would get them, confirmation being the green drippings. One advantage we had over real hunters is that we never had to field dress our game, nor drag anything out of the woods.
Yup we lived with of BB guns after school , but as accurate as they were they never shot the same place twice ,we altered the frt sights some , and I do think the ones from the 50s-early 60s were more accurate .Bought my nephew a Red Ryder and don't shoot near as well as the old ones.~~JMJ~~
Old 11-08-2019, 04:49 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hornady Black Diamond BBs

The accuracy of steel BBs is really bad. However, just like someone else mentioned a while back in this thread, I've found the Hornady Black Diamond BBs to be much more accurate than the Daisy and Crosman ones. If you are shooting BB's, do yourself a favor and get the Hornady BB's.

In my Daisy 880, the Daisy BB's (even the more expensive "match grade" Daisy BB's), gave me 4-inch groups at 10 yards. The Hornady BBs give me 1-1/2-inch groups at 10 yards. Still pretty bad accuracy compared to pellets, but a big improvement.