Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:04 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Got most everything lined up....tickets, clothes, etc. Still need to get park pass and a hotel somewhere near. But, I can't find an all wheel anything to rent. We got a 4wd when in Hawaii.....but none show up for rent from any agency. I'd like to rent a Subaru Forester. Where to you find an awd for rent? I'm searching in Reno...what, no one ever needs all wheel drive there? 1917
Old 10-16-2019, 05:57 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may want to get the yearly national parks pass. Just order it so you have it when you leave. You can certainly find an SUV to rent. It may be a traditional 4x4 like a jeep Cherokee or similar. With rental cars you pretty much need to rent what's available and I don't know of any that rent Subaru. Usually they are some GM or Ford. If you are lucky you can find a Toyota or Nissan but they usually get the cheapest fleet vehicle purchase deals. There are several towns with hotels in the central valley of California but more concentrated criminal element down here too. I would suggest Mariposa or Oakhurst. I believe Tenaya Lodge is about 10 to 20 minutes from the park entrance. It's not the cheapest but they have a lot of rooms and good parking area. If you want to make a loop starting in Reno and ending in Las Vegas you can visit Yosemite, Sequoia and Death Valley National Parks without a lot of back tracking. It's a lot of driving but it's not hard when you are on the main roads.

Last edited by rc.; 10-16-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I'm going to get my pass. Chaser is scaring up a few things for me. Good recommendations on some other stuff that I have or is still being shipped. Took a good look at the area on Google Earth.. I see the problem....somebody left a bunch of big hills in the way of gettin' from here to there. The road out of Rattlesnake looks crookider than a snake. Just what I'm looking for. I sure hope there aren't a lot of peeps crowding up the place. I figure me and about a dozen other people in the Valley are enough. Hope the road is still open to Glacier Point when I get there. Appx Nov 19, 20th or so. Get there the 17th, light out for the lower west on the 23rd.

In case anyone is getting confused....I'm flying into Reno, driving down to Zepher Point on the South end of Lake Tahoe. That looks like a pretty short drive. 2 hrs or so. Might scout about Monday. Tuesday head down to some place to stay near the Park for a couple of days. Hike and drive and see park and big trees. Drive back to Zepher or might leave straight for SF morning of the 23rd. Gotta pick up wife at airport there in the evening.

Guess I'm going to have to call and ask about AWD or 4WD. After the mountains I won't need anything special for Napa, SF and north. Picked up my phone a minute ago and asked for driving directions to the Park.....the thing laid out the path....all 2,000 miles of it. Crazy the things we have these days. Ordered tickets yesterday....they were $250 less than they were two weeks ago. ??? I'll take it. Round trip Birmingham to Reno, SF back to B'ham... $930. I couldn't drive it for that amount. 1917
Old 10-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good luck with your adventure, you've earned it.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hertz has AWD Buick SUVs in their fleet. There should be 4WDs available in Reno as skiers fly in there and head for the Tahoe resorts. Yosemite is clear right now with autumn colors just starting. 140 just reopened going into the park because of the Briceburg fire.
Inside Yosemite, Curry and Yosemite Lodge are worth checking out. Travel Yosemite (Aramark's) website is a worthless mess right now so it's best to call them at 888.413.8869
If your going into Yosesmite on 41, The Wawona is inside the park near Mariposa Grove and outside the gate is the Tenaya Lodge (pricey) and the Narrow Gauge Inn https://www.narrowgaugeinn.com/ (very nice and less pricey)
I don't know what the accommodations are like on 120 or 140.

Have fun!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:24 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you aren't going off road you will likely be able to get by with a front wheel drive sedan. You may have to carry chains but there hasn't been any significant precipitation yet in the valley or mountains. You may actually beat the worst of the weather. Unfortunately everything will likely still be golden/brown when you get here.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
If you aren't going off road you will likely be able to get by with a front wheel drive sedan. You may have to carry chains but there hasn't been any significant precipitation yet in the valley or mountains. You may actually beat the worst of the weather. Unfortunately everything will likely still be golden/brown when you get here.
Unless the rental company can provide cables/chains, there would be no point in buying a set for a car you don't own
The OP may not even see snow on his trip, but it's a good idea to be prepared during this time of year.
The weather in the Sierra is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:18 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Hope you have a really great trip with no bad surprises.

Post detailed after-action report when you get back.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:26 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just suggested the chains because they are sometimes required. I was on a trip to Yosemite years ago and decided to take 120 down to the valley. I was driving and it began to snow. I almost spun out in my 2wd ranger. I pulled over to put on chains. I drove a bit with the uncomfortable bumpy ride with chains. It started to clear up. I took the chains off. Then a bit later as I climbed again I needed them back on and pretty soon you couldn't really see pavement because it was covered in snow and ice. Putting on those chains my hands got pretty numb. It's no fun to have to play with chains in the mountains with snow coming down on you. 4wd is a good idea especially the older you get.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I just suggested the chains because they are sometimes required.
This is the point. YOU may not need them but; when posted everyone must use chains. The sign goes up based on the worse drivers with the worse vehicles. And if you dont install the chains you will be stopped and if you dont have any you will be turned back.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colorado used to be chains, or, 4wd, when posted. That said some flatlanders shouldn't be allowed to have 4wd to play in the mountains' passes snow.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just tell the rental desks in Reno you're looking for a winterized car for Tahoe. They'll know what you mean.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
This is the point. YOU may not need them but; when posted everyone must use chains. The sign goes up based on the worse drivers with the worse vehicles. And if you dont install the chains you will be stopped and if you dont have any you will be turned back.
Not exactly. 4WD /AWD with M+S tires are usually excepted, but you'll still be required to carry traction devices in the trunk.
If CA requires chains installed on a 4WD, you need to ask yourself "Is this trip really necessary?"
Unless you've got to take the serum to Nome, wait for the storm to pass and the plows to clear the road.
Hot cocoa is your friend
Old 10-20-2019, 06:07 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Donner Pass over I-80 in the winter when it's snowing will likely be the most miserable and probably the most dangerous drive you will ever face, due not only to the road conditions but also to the massive number of idiots who dont have the slightest idea how to drive in such conditions. Avoid it at all costs.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:57 PM
Hovannes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most front wheel drive sedans these days require cables, not chains, because of limited clearances. Cables are a breeze to put on and take off front wheel drive vehicles compared to chains.