Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got a 39A!!!

Just sharing; I've been looking for a good .22 lever gun (after giving up on finding a pump I liked). Bought a Browning BL-22 and hated it so sold it quickly. It's a good story how I found the Marlin 39A and worth telling when I have more time. FINALLY, I now have a really nice, pristine condition 39A and couldn't be happier. It is an incredibly well built rifle (as you guys already know) and very accurate. The weight of it makes it particularly attractive to me since my tremor makes shooting lighter guns a bit of a problem. Great rifle...maybe one of these days I can tell the story and share pictures.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:00 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up a Mountie some years back and while it's my only lever 22 and is seldom shot, it's nice to have in my "collection" as a example of a classic lever 22. One day it will pass to someone else in really nice shape.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:50 PM
silvertip44
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought my first Marlin 39A back in 1968, from a 'world famous' George Heter's store in western Washington. You'd have to look long n' hard to find a better field .22 LR than a Model 39A.

When living in the mountains of Montana, 1969 into the early 1970's, the nearest electricity was from a generator at a small store, 22 miles to the south of the cabin. Water from the river, kerosene lamps and cut all our winter wood with crosscut saws. One of my favorite rounds to use in that Marlin was the CCI CB Caps. Hardly more of a sound than from a pellet rifle it made. Would be coming down a logging road in the evening and spot several ruffed grouse alongside the road gathering gravel for their craw. Carefully approaching them would shoot the one farthest away from me. It would topple over and due to the quietness of the CB Cap round, the others weren't disturbed! Made for nice 'subsistance' dinners cooked in a cast iron skillet on the wood stove.

I've not been without a Marlin 39A or Mountie since. I still have the original one I bought back in '68 and it's going to my grandson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 10:51 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Silvertip 44. Nice write up. I have my Dad's 1957 vintage 39a, and its still going strong. I have a Nikon 4x on it and squirrel's hate it.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just purchased my first actual 39A a few weeks ago, it is a 1951 with the brass insert in the pistol grip. Its is a sweet shooter, action is smooth as glass. I have owned a 1970 39 Century Limited for about 18 years and I also recently bought a rare 1973 39M Octagon 20" Carbine that I stumbled into at a local shop. I love 22 levers, own a couple Winchester 9422's as well, also fine shooters
Old 10-16-2019, 10:49 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
congrats you will love these , great purchase
Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 PM
VinceD44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog357 View Post
I just purchased my first actual 39A a few weeks ago, it is a 1951 with the brass insert in the pistol grip. Its is a sweet shooter, action is smooth as glass. I have owned a 1970 39 Century Limited for about 18 years and I also recently bought a rare 1973 39M Octagon 20" Carbine that I stumbled into at a local shop. I love 22 levers, own a couple Winchester 9422's as well, also fine shooters
Sounds great purchases. Congrats
Old 10-21-2019, 08:50 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip44 View Post
Bought my first Marlin 39A back in 1968, from a 'world famous' George Heter's store in western Washington. You'd have to look long n' hard to find a better field .22 LR than a Model 39A.

When living in the mountains of Montana, 1969 into the early 1970's, the nearest electricity was from a generator at a small store, 22 miles to the south of the cabin. Water from the river, kerosene lamps and cut all our winter wood with crosscut saws. One of my favorite rounds to use in that Marlin was the CCI CB Caps. Hardly more of a sound than from a pellet rifle it made. Would be coming down a logging road in the evening and spot several ruffed grouse alongside the road gathering gravel for their craw. Carefully approaching them would shoot the one farthest away from me. It would topple over and due to the quietness of the CB Cap round, the others weren't disturbed! Made for nice 'subsistance' dinners cooked in a cast iron skillet on the wood stove.

I've not been without a Marlin 39A or Mountie since. I still have the original one I bought back in '68 and it's going to my grandson.
Great story.

I like to see shooters who think about passing on their family heirlooms. The 39A certainly is heirloom quality.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Irascible

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I got my 39A it started misfiring and extracting properly after a few boxes of ammo. I went to the Marlin websight and there was all kind of nonsense posted about bad extractors and having new ones designed, etc. ALL bunk!
If you clean the chamber and keep it and the back of the barrel clen, you will have none of these problems. A package of 22 caliber RODZ and some bore cleaner is all you need. RODZ are like long Q-tips and do wonders. Available from Midway, Brownells and others.