Old 10-17-2019, 07:58 PM
jfraz3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Another what would you do?

I own what some have dubbed The Miss Piggy rifle
CZ 455 action
First production run Lilja barrel from Dans first batch several years back in 17HM2
Stupid sweet wood
Engraved squirrel in the crosshairs on the grip cap
Pillars, Marine Tex bedded
Yo Dave kit on the trigger
DIP trigger guard

Rifle shoots like a laser, and looks every bit as good!
Have probly $1100 in it to build it, plus my time and energy into stock finish and bedding etc....

Have watched for several months while some of DJ's builds have been listed for large amounts of $.

Didnt pay enuf attn to those listings to see whether they actually sold or not?

So my question is:

What should a fella list this rifle for in todays market?
I have discovered a couple other rifles that shoot extremely well, and am thinking of letting go of my Steyr Zephyr II and my Miss Piggy rifle.

YES I'm fishing for replies, and educated guesses as to what this gun might be worth to someone...mostly because I have ZERO experience selling something that I've put SO much $ and labor in.

I know my labor and love isnt worth a dollar amount. So I'm fishing for what your "average" CZ guy "might" be willing to pay for something like my rifle. Pics can be found by doing a search of my posts.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give their .02$ and apologies to the admins for fishing...I really have NO CLUE what to list thing for should I decide to sell it
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I completely understand the time and effort that you put in the but it is a tough market for a personalized rifle like you have. I had a Kuharsky build ( old time smiths) on an FN commercial action, Lija barrel, 20X Unertil in .228 Ackley magnum. Very unique, excellent workmanship, very nice figured Fajhen stock. I could not get $600 for it. You had to make your and the bullets were made of unobtanium. Parted out I got nearly $2000. What can I say. It broke my heart to do it but practicality won out. I still have the barrel as I never found anything I could rechamber it too, reboring was not an option.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 AM
jfraz3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thats a good idea'r right there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 09:55 AM
1dogdown
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Perhaps a picture would help.Any bolt or trigger work?Also remember DJ was respected in his field.Had a following.A lot of members build guns.Thing is do you pay top dollar from a nobody or a somebody.NOT saying you did not do everything right.But you are sort of an unknown.Remember you need to find someone who has likes like yours.Remember also most of DJ's builds were to a customers specs.But good luck in your quest.Oh I in no way want to belittle your build.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
DJ's builds seem to be going for around $1,100. And as mentioned above he has an excellent reputation for building a very accurate CZ rifle. Most of the members on here no exactly what to expect from one of his rifles which undoubtedly ups the price. The other thing that will bring the price down is the fact that it is a 17HM2 and not a .22lr. I'd hate to offend you by giving a price that I think it would sell for, especially given all the work you have put into it. My advice would be to keep it, your probably never going to get what it's worth (especially to you). Leave it behind for a relative or offspring.

Last edited by Nick7274; 10-18-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:24 AM
OldNeatStuff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have been given some insight as to what people look for. Caliber, maker Etc. Doesn't sound like you really don't want to sell it. If you really like the rifle and shoot it often just put it away and move on to your next project.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 AM
jfraz3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Your right, I'm not DJ. Back when I bought the 22lr AND HM2 barrel, there wasn't a "DJ" on this forum. I built/had built this particular rifle out of the A code 455 action which was also first production.

There was however J&P springs, where the action screws and firing pin spring came from
There was also DIP where the mag well and bottom metal came from
Plus there was YoDave trigger kits back before Timney and Langley made trigger kits

There was and still is gazillions of qualified gunsmiths around the world who can glue a barrel in and check headspace, install pillars and lay some bedding compound in a barrel channel and action, they just dont pander to this particular forum.

I have watched for several months or closer to a year while DJ's rifles get listed for sale in the TP and the next week the price is lower, then lower, then lower.

I discussed this post with a fellow member before I posted it, and we both agreed a DJ fan would pile on within a few posts and it happened

I am not hating on DJ, his work is super impressive...but do you think maybe, just maybe its possible that another person and another classically trained professional gunsmith could have possibly done the same caliber of work on a 455 years previous to when DJ showed up?

Admins, I got the results I expected, feel free to delete this thread if you'd like
Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
This isnít germane to your original question but since youíve said the action is an early 455 with the A prefix maybe you can answer. Iíve read that the early 455 actions are why CZUSA says the metal magazines arenít recommended for 455 and I wonder if youíve tried or used one in yours?
Old 10-18-2019, 04:30 PM
jfraz3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have used a metal one. But it wasnt until "after" the DIP mag well was installed. So apologies, I cant really speak to that issue. Thanks for asking tho
Old 10-18-2019, 04:31 PM
jfraz3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNeatStuff View Post
You have been given some insight as to what people look for. Caliber, maker Etc. Doesn't sound like you really don't want to sell it. If you really like the rifle and shoot it often just put it away and move on to your next project.
Probably what will end up happening, or it will get parted out possibly. Thanks for ur input
Old 10-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I wouldn't take it personally. Nobody is saying that the rifle hasn't been done great. It's just that DJ is well known on this particular forum which makes his rifles go for a premium. That's nothing against any of the work you did, it's just the way it is. I can put together a 10/22 in a custom stock that is bedded and guarantee it to shoot under 1/2" @ 50 yds, but nobody would pay me even close to what it would cost for a Kidd Supergrade.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:29 PM
djdilliodon

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
ďAĒ serial receiver, yep I was building on those. I was actually building 10 of them for guys locally for free as trial and error pieces to see what it would take to get them to shoot. Those 10 are what started it all. For the record I know u donít mean anything by just gluing a barrel in and bedding it but let it be clear. Those barrels the last 4 years or so where custom fit, custom chambers I designed, custom blanks to my specs etc. There was a lot of things I did that I never disclosed as far is the bolt and receiver goes. The craziest part of it all was the amount of time I put into every full build I did wasnít worth it lol. It was worth it for the person getting it done but for me by the time it was all said and done I pretty much Worked for $10 an hour lol. I never did it for the money though, mostly it was for the challenge.

As far as your gun goes the caliber thins out how many are willing to buy it. Those that are left itís how well it will shoot is what will bring the price down. Do what I did, guarantee it will shoot 1/4Ē or better or youíll buy it back. If the rifle is in mint condition I bet someone would be willing to pay $800 plus for it as their is no risk.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:16 PM
KB22RF

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNewTricks View Post
This isnít germane to your original question but since youíve said the action is an early 455 with the A prefix maybe you can answer. Iíve read that the early 455 actions are why CZUSA says the metal magazines arenít recommended for 455 and I wonder if youíve tried or used one in yours?
I bought the first 455 I ran across locally and it has an A prefix and it can be used with a metal magazine