What have you learned shooting long range and what is your reason for doing it? it? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:55 PM
REA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What have you learned shooting long range and what is your reason for doing it? it?

For me:
Trigger control, wind correction, using tactical scope adjustments with a bubble level, and being more consistant.

Since the ammo is cheaper, my position (prs style)shooting gets a lot more practice and attention.

I don't do much hunting anymore, but I feel better knowing that my marksmanship skills are good. It bothers me that so many people in this country are depending on the military and not themselves. That is how this country got it's independance in the first place.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Honestly, when I started shooting six or seven years ago, I thought I'd never even be able to hit a target at 100 yards with a rimfire. The first time I got a "ping" back from a steel target after that hang time . . . I was hooked. 200 yards? Even more fun. . . and I ought to try it more often. Heck, what's 52 inches of holdover among friends?

So yes - the things you listed. I definitely have learned those. But it is service of hearing that little "ping" back, or seeing a sporting clay disintegrate into smaller shootable pieces.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM
HJB
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Depend on the military ? For what ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Jack_L

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is making me much more aware of every possible wind influence.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:14 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The transition from supersonic to subsonic has little to no effect on 22lr accuracy.
Ammunition quality is of critical importance the further you push the envelope.
Good results at extended range mean more than great results at close range.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:09 PM
MDrimfirerookie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reasons:
a big part of it for me is the big F you i can give to people who say "its just a 22" and "you can't shoot that far"

there is also something pretty challenging and rewarding to get to hear the ping on steel at 300 and 400 yards

What Have I learned
the utmost importance of the fundamentals of marksmanship and how they affect the results down range with a 22

the importance of reading and calling wind. yes we all joke about "hold left edge and send it" (at least in my circles) but the effect of wind is real and forces you to pay attention
Old 10-19-2019, 12:51 AM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reason... I just needed a cheaper and more accessible way to practice for my centerfire rifles.

What I've learned... #1, the wind is king, rimfire or centerfire, your wind reading will make you or break you. #2, rimfire ignition is quite inconsistent compared to centerfires, so vertical stringing is going to be an issue.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What have I learned?

How much practice it takes for good ole fashion Kentucky windage adjustments.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I realize this is not real long range but in this case it kinda was. My wife learned a good lesson today as she wanted to shoot her 10/22 Ruger LVT at 100 yards. All she has shot previously has been mostly 25 yard 12 face green monsters and some dingers at 50. She is really good at that target.

So we set up a 100 yd target with a 1" center dot. Had to move the Leupold VX II 6-18x40 AO elevation 36+ clicks (1/4 MOA) and a bit horizontal to get her there, or almost there. She was amazed at what it takes to hold well on target at that distance. Let alone the moving of POA in the scope. She wanted to read the numbers on the adjustment knobs as opposed to counting clicks.... She has her own ideas about things no matter what I tell her. (sound familiar guys ?) When we were done she wanted to know how to get back to 25 yd. zero.... I said count back on the clicks... The light bulb went on cause she was writing numbers on the knobs. Then there was the trigger pull..... LOL

All in all she said it was a learning situation and now wants to build her skills based on 100 yd. targets..... I think this is a good thing

Last edited by huntschool; 10-20-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 AM
sscoyote
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the most educational aspects of researching long-range shooting for me has been a thorough understanding of subtension and it's applications for downrange zeroing and rangefinding and applying the math to archery sight pins and iron sights. Have had some very memorable experiences applying subtension in the field many times now. It's truly one of the most fascinating aspects of the shooting sports.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:25 AM
DaleSalmon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post

She wanted to read the numbers on the adjustment knobs as opposed to counting clicks.... She has her own ideas about things no matter what I tell her. (sound familiar guys ?) When we were done she wanted to know how to get back to 25 yd. zero.... I said count back on the clicks... The light bulb went on cause she was writing numbers on the knobs. Then there was the trigger pull..... LOL
Whats easier to remember..... 27.75 MOA or 111 clicks?

There isn't reputable school on the planet that teaches counting clicks or giving corrections in clicks. 5 guys on the firing line...each one has a different incremented MOA based turret. I don't have to play games guessing how many clicks each shooter needs. I say come left 2 MOA...done. Dial to the 2 and shoot. The correction works across the board to all the shooters. If I say come left 4 clicks....its a different adjustment to each shooter which will lead to over or under adjustment.

She's right to want to read the turrets as they are scribed. The turrets are marked for the very reason as to NOT count clicks. The turrets are zeroed after sight-in so finding your original starting point should require no counting of clicks either.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Ernie B

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
One of the most educational aspects of researching long-range shooting for me has been a thorough understanding of subtension and it's applications for downrange zeroing and rangefinding and applying the math to archery sight pins and iron sights. Have had some very memorable experiences applying subtension in the field many times now. It's truly one of the most fascinating aspects of the shooting sports.
Why of course it is!
Guess who is getting a new 22lr CZ specialty pistol???
Old 10-25-2019, 12:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well...Just mess'in around,

Found my 22LR to be on at 400 yds
At the bottom where the vertical cross hair touches.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:24 PM
mrt949

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About 3 years ago they were shooting bowling pins at 200 meters.
My scope didn't have enough elevation .
So i did my home work found shims at hawk scope company 25 moa.
for my old bsa scope.
Have the right scope a leupold ar mod1 1.5/4 with 100 moa
The sky is the limit for long range for me.
Now i just count my clicks .

Last edited by mrt949; 11-01-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:31 PM
rolltide

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For me, long range rimfire is more fun than just about any shooting I've done through the years. I truly enjoyed shooting 1000 yard matches, but the expense and travel involved made it more than I could afford or invest in time.

Shooting at ranges over 200 yards with my rimfires takes the same amount of focus and attention as the longer ranges with my centerfires at much longer ranges.

I've purged several rimfires that didn't meet my needs for long range and still have a few others to go...

It is addictive to say the least!