New CZ owner - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2019, 07:29 PM
gsperaz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Posts: 
383
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New CZ owner



Log in to see fewer ads
Well, the Hornet bug bit again and I purchased a new CZ 527 varmint in 17 Hornet. I already have a Savage 25 WV in 17 Hornet mounted in a boyds stock that shoots .5 groups @100yds everyday. On good days I can pull off .3 when I do my part with factory ammo.
I'm still dialing in the CZ with about 150 rounds down the barrel. Seems to prefer a reload recipe of 12.6g CFE BLK and a 20g tipped Nosler over the factory Vmax.
I did a little bedding work since the fit was a bit sloppy, trigger spring change and some break in time on the action till it was smooth as well as some polishing on the magazine feed lips to insure good bullet feeding.
As many have said, these guns are not buttery smooth from the factory but will get there with range time.
More range time is on the schedule to see if all the tweek's and some additional load testing will even up the playing field between the Savage and the CZ. I really like both rifles and each has there plus's and minus's. I can always fine room in the gun safe for rifles that perform at .5
Great info on this site guys and thanks to all that participate.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Signalman1's Avatar
Signalman1

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
On the Westside
Posts: 
10,743
TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
Well, the Hornet bug bit again and I purchased a new CZ 527 varmint in 17 Hornet. I already have a Savage 25 WV in 17 Hornet mounted in a boyds stock that shoots .5 groups @100yds everyday. On good days I can pull off .3 when I do my part with factory ammo.
I'm still dialing in the CZ with about 150 rounds down the barrel. Seems to prefer a reload recipe of 12.6g CFE BLK and a 20g tipped Nosler over the factory Vmax.
I did a little bedding work since the fit was a bit sloppy, trigger spring change and some break in time on the action till it was smooth as well as some polishing on the magazine feed lips to insure good bullet feeding.
As many have said, these guns are not buttery smooth from the factory but will get there with range time.
More range time is on the schedule to see if all the tweek's and some additional load testing will even up the playing field between the Savage and the CZ. I really like both rifles and each has there plus's and minus's. I can always fine room in the gun safe for rifles that perform at .5
Great info on this site guys and thanks to all that participate.
sir welcome to the land of the infected just be careful they grow when it the safe.

Signalman
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 PM
JMK's Avatar
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Jan 2016
Location: 
Kitsap County, WA
Posts: 
1,184
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you got yourself a shooter.

I bought a 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet... never shot it. Had James Calhoon Mfg. put a 19 Badger barrel on it and tune it up. I'm quite happy with the result.

I'd still like to get a 17 Hornet, but will likely do that in the American version.

Welcome to the world of CZ!

JMK
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 AM
gsperaz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Posts: 
383
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its funny, I never really had much love for .17 caliber rifles. The 22 mag and .223 were always my go to small caliber guns. Then one day several years ago I bought a Savage 17 HMR for something new to play with. It was a tack driver right out of the box. Able to take several gray squirrels with head shots at 100+ yds. From then on its been a love affair...lol , so the wife calls it.
Two 17 hmrs, two 17 wsm, and now two 17 hornets as well as a reloading room for the Hornet.
Since I mainly varmint hunt and punch paper the caliber is prefect for me. I have 50 & 100yd targets on my property and the muzzle report is minimal so not upset neighborhood. Foxes, coon, possum, crows and ferrule cats have all been formally introduced to my 17 family.
Its truly is a sickness that keeps me sane.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Signalman1's Avatar
Signalman1

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
On the Westside
Posts: 
10,743
TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
Its funny, I never really had much love for .17 caliber rifles. The 22 mag and .223 were always my go to small caliber guns. Then one day several years ago I bought a Savage 17 HMR for something new to play with. It was a tack driver right out of the box. Able to take several gray squirrels with head shots at 100+ yds. From then on its been a love affair...lol , so the wife calls it.
Two 17 hmrs, two 17 wsm, and now two 17 hornets as well as a reloading room for the Hornet.
Since I mainly varmint hunt and punch paper the caliber is prefect for me. I have 50 & 100yd targets on my property and the muzzle report is minimal so not upset neighborhood. Foxes, coon, possum, crows and ferrule cats have all been formally introduced to my 17 family.
Its truly is a sickness that keeps me sane.
Sir good job I too am a 22 caliber guy and my older brother kept giving a hard time about not having a 17hmr I even shot one of his rifles and it still did nothing for me. It was like two years later when a life long buddy as my to sight in his 17hmr rifle...so I did and his rifle just blew me out of the water...I made some shots with that...that changed my mind on getting a 17hmr...so I looked at CZ and tried to find a 452 in 17hmr and could not fid one. So I went with a savage classic rifle instead:



That is where is started and today I have 17hmrs in CZ, Marlin and a CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet and 17 Hornet.

Thanks for sharing

Signalman
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2019, 01:01 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
PNW
Posts: 
1,344
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CZ 527's in 17 Hornet are just a sweetheart of a little gun. Both of mine are Varmint models because I like a little larger profile than the American but are no longer factory barrel length and shooting these things suppressed always makes me giggle like a little girl, they're just so darn quiet.

I've had a few different CZ 527's over the years but the only two I've kept are my little 17 Hornets. I've posted pics of mine multiple times before so I won't bore anyone with redundant pics of the same gun over and over.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2019, 02:07 PM
Signalman1's Avatar
Signalman1

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
On the Westside
Posts: 
10,743
TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
The CZ 527's in 17 Hornet are just a sweetheart of a little gun. Both of mine are Varmint models because I like a little larger profile than the American but are no longer factory barrel length and shooting these things suppressed always makes me giggle like a little girl, they're just so darn quiet.

I've had a few different CZ 527's over the years but the only two I've kept are my little 17 Hornets. I've posted pics of mine multiple times before so I won't bore anyone with redundant pics of the same gun over and over.
Hey B23 sir either I don't remember or I am getting old but I would love to see the twins...it would make a nice screen saver...so could you please post a picture one more time for me.

Signalman
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:53 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
PNW
Posts: 
1,344
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't really pose my guns for pics so all of my pictures are pretty generic and relatively lame looking, but here ya go.

Also, as you can see, I didn't hit the wood lottery on either of my 17 Hornets, in fact, of any of the CZ 527's I've had, none of them have ever had anything special in the way of the wood they wore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 Hornet #2.jpg (423.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png 17HH.png (155.6 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Signalman1's Avatar
Signalman1

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
On the Westside
Posts: 
10,743
TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
B23 sir thank you for sharing

SM
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2019, 05:56 PM
gsperaz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Posts: 
383
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for sharing ! My CZ is threaded from the factory and someday I will go with a suppressor... the giggles will follow Im sure
A little shooting today and found out my rifle really likes the factory 15.5 NTX ammo .35" @ 100yds had me smiling ear to ear. The factory 20gr stuff only groups .7" to date.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
PNW
Posts: 
1,344
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
A little shooting today and found out my rifle really likes the factory 15.5 NTX ammo .35" @ 100yds had me smiling ear to ear. The factory 20gr stuff only groups .7" to date.
It doesn't surprise me to hear that at all. That factory ammo with the 15.5gr NTX bullets seem to always shoot very well in these CZ 527's.

Not sure if you've tried any, but I know guys that swear the Federal American Eagle 17 Hornet ammo shoots better for them than does the Hornady stuff. I've talked to Federal and Hornady, both claimed it was the exact same ammo so maybe the Federal AE ammo is just from a better run, but it could be worth trying.

As a side note, when I talked to Federal they said, eventually, they'll be producing their own 17 Hornet ammo so it'll be interesting to see how that stuff shoots once Federal starts producing their very own 17 Hornet ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2019, 05:43 PM
flangster

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
4,068
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
The CZ 527's in 17 Hornet are just a sweetheart of a little gun. Both of mine are Varmint models because I like a little larger profile than the American but are no longer factory barrel length and shooting these things suppressed always makes me giggle like a little girl, they're just so darn quiet.



I've had a few different CZ 527's over the years but the only two I've kept are my little 17 Hornets. I've posted pics of mine multiple times before so I won't bore anyone with redundant pics of the same gun over and over.
@B23:. Are you using a .22 suppressor, or are you using something dedicated to the .17?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
__________________
============
n00by is now flangster on RFC -- still a newbie though
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:54 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
PNW
Posts: 
1,344
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
@B23:. Are you using a .22 suppressor, or are you using something dedicated to the .17?
I use my TBAC 223 centerfire suppressor.

My rimfire suppressors are the older version TBAC rimfire cans and aren't rated for the 17 Hornet, but the new TBAC 22 Takedown rimfire suppessor is. My 223 can is a fair bit heavier than their new 22 Takedown rimfire can but it works well and is very quiet.

I use my TBAC 223 can on both my 17 Hornets and 17 WSM as well. My TBAC rimfire cans are only rated for 22LR and 17 HMR so they just get used on those.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2019, 07:03 PM
flangster

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
4,068
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Got it. Many thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
__________________
============
n00by is now flangster on RFC -- still a newbie though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x