Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:52 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Joined the Grand Slam Club

I've been reading about the Weaver Grand Slam scopes for some time on this forum. Several (read-Signalman!) are very fond of them!

I needed a bit higher power for my Vudoo Crow so I took advantage of $40 off sale at Natchezz and bought the 3-12x42 this week. It arrived a day earlier than the tracking number indicated.

I REALLY like this scope! It is short, extremely clear glass, and I like the EB-X crosshair. My favorite option, after the glass is the side focus.

I installed it on the Vudoo. I built the bench the Vudoo is on this past Saturday. I built the gun rack to hold up to 4 rifles that I might want to shoot during a session.

Two things about the rack;
1. I want to cut a barrel opening in the holes so I don't have to come up and under to get guns in and out. You can see I have marked a possible channel to cut out.

2. Also, I'm going to get a better system for holding the rack up against the deck post. The pieces of scrap wood at the base of the post aren't necessary, those were the 3" pieces I cut off the bench to fit me better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vudoo With Grand Slam.jpg (422.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Vudoo in Gun Rack.jpg (444.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Bowwild sir welcome to the club Now you see what I have been seeing for years now...don't worry you not the first and not the last one here at RFC to see how nice these scopes are. Most members that buy one seem to buy two the next time Natchez has them on sale again. If you like the EBX reticle then you should see if you can find a 4-16x or 5-20x Grand Slam scope with the Varmint EBX reticle in it...because that reticle is pure heaven.

Can you do me a favor and take a picture of your scope with a tape measure next to it so I can get the real length of that 3-12x42mm scope...something like this and send it to me or post it here for all to see.

My Grand Slam 4-16x Multistope and Varmint EBX reticle scopes:

Thank you for your comments and glad to help.

Signalman
Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 AM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
They are great scopes, all things considered. FYI, the 4-16x44 is actually shorter than the 3-12x42 (according to the specs), and offers the additional magnification. I've never looked through a 3-12x42, but the 4-16x44 is a very pleasant to sight through (all the way to 16X), just a really nice scope, IMO. And I agree on the SF -- I'd convert every A/O scope I own to SF if I could.

Last edited by I6turbo; 10-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 12:07 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's a picture with a measuring tape. looks like 12.5".

I like the idea of the shorter 4/16x44. I think I have just enough room for a slightly larger objective bell for another 2mm.

My rigs are all sort of critical for eye relief. You can see above I've shifted the scope as far back as I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Slam Scope Measuered.jpg (366.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I6Turbo sir your picture of your 452 Lux and a Grand Slam 4-16x scope is still one of my favorite screen savers:

Super nice job.

and Bowwild sir thank you for doing that for me...only 1" longer would work for my other rifles without sights of them...your rifle looks great with that on top. Time to buy another one before they are all gone.

Signalman
Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like best price might be around $482 for the 4-15x44.

Whoops, just found web for $429 with a 3-5 week wait.

Last edited by bowwild; 10-18-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post

Bowwild sir the very first GS 4-16x Varmint EBX reticle scope I bought was just a few pennies shy of $500 and the cheapest one I got from another member was about $350 IIRC. The V-EBX reticle scope has never been cheap compared to the EBX or the Dual X reticle scopes. That is one thing that would make me mad was the Natchez would always ask more for the V-EBX scope when the only difference was the reticle.

For $429 that is a good price for one...which model did you find the 4-16x or 5-20x and does it have the Varmint EBX reticle in it?? Today I would be more than happy to buy a few for that price if I could justify getting a few more but with all the things going on it my life right now and having 6 spare scopes collection dust it not a good move on my part.

I have even been offered one of my other favorite scopes a V-16 from one member and a CZ 457 Lux rifle in 22mag from different member here...my timing stinks.

just a word to the wise Weaver no longer make these scopes so one listed at 3-5 weeks out will probably be a no show so don't get your hopes up on that one.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 10-18-2019, 01:27 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
Bowwild sir the very first GS 4-16x Varmint EBX reticle scope I bought was just a few pennies shy of $500 and the cheapest one I got from another member was about $350 IIRC. The V-EBX reticle scope has never been cheap compared to the EBX or the Dual X reticle scopes. That is one thing that would make me mad was the Natchez would always ask more for the V-EBX scope when the only difference was the reticle.

For $429 that is a good price for one...which model did you find the 4-16x or 5-20x and does it have the Varmint EBX reticle in it?? Today I would be more than happy to buy a few for that price if I could justify getting a few more but with all the things going on it my life right now and having 6 spare scopes collection dust it not a good move on my part.

I have even been offered one of my other favorite scopes a V-16 from one member and a CZ 457 Lux rifle in 22mag from different member here...my timing stinks.

just a word to the wise Weaver no longer make these scopes so one listed at 3-5 weeks out will probably be a no show so don't get your hopes up on that one.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
I see you added another member to your cult.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:31 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:

As Signalman said, the 3-5 week wait is highly unlikely to produce a scope from that supplier. They have been discontinued for several months, so what's out there in the hands of sellers are all there will be. That claim is probably some "boiler plate" website statement that he puts on everything that's not available at the moment.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:51 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for that advice. That seller is BHPhoto.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
I see you added another member to your cult.
My cult ???? hey I just make a suggestion...they are the ones you buy and are impressed with those scopes. You might be surprised by the list of the very important members here who have bought a Weaver Grand Slam and when they had a chance to buy other scopes came back to get another GS scope.

thank you for the complement

Signalman
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
last year after years of reading how good these scopes are from all the enablers on here like Signalman1 (joking) and others, I had to try one. nobody locally carries them so I took a shot on one of the GS 3-12 EBX's when it went down to $256.00 with code and I was amazed at how good they really are. I would put it up against my VX3 or maybe just maybe even my meopta meostars it is that good. my only regret is i didn't get another or one of the 4-16 GS scopes. 4-16 is one of my favorite magnification ranges.

it is on one of my AR10's in 308 win.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone gunman View Post
last year after years of reading how good these scopes are from all the enablers on here like Signalman1 (joking) and others, I had to try one. nobody locally carries them so I took a shot on one of the GS 3-12 EBX's when it went down to $256.00 with code and I was amazed at how good they really are. I would put it up against my VX3 or maybe just maybe even my meopta meostars it is that good. my only regret is i didn't get another or one of the 4-16 GS scopes. 4-16 is one of my favorite magnification ranges.

it is on one of my AR10's in 308 win.

lone gunman sir no worries my friend I can and will take the blame for you buying a nice Weaver Grand Slam scope if your happy that is all that matters. They have worked for me and I love to share my experiences with others. I have bought enough of them that members thought I worked for Weaver and was a sales person. I love the 4-16x range it gives me a wide field of view at 4x to follow running game and I can crank up the scope to 16x for when I need and want that up close and personal touch on paper or game.

Signalman
Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Thanks for that advice. That seller is BHPhoto.

Thanks
Yeah BH does that with all their discontinued items.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:52 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks, Signalman1, I could not be happier with the scope especially for what I paid. the VX3 6.5-20x50 cost me almost three times that so yes very happy with the purchase.