New rifle advice - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)

joelmark sir quick question for you has your needs/wants changed...you made the comment that you don't reload now is that something you thought of doing...and if I am reading between the lines you want something with very low or no recoil so you can have fun at your range. Correct.

a rifle with lots of noise for me is not very pleasing to shoot 50 rounds at one time...shooting a 22lr is a no brainer at the range...but you want a little more and you asked about the 17 Hornet...which I first told you were heading it the correct direction.

I don't reload right now I used too but family and life got in the way. It's fun to do but will take time to get your rifle dialed in. Do you have the time...or do you just want to buy and shoot. In my opinion if you would be happy with 1 to 1.5" groups then almost anything you buy will fill your needs.

If you want to just buy and shoot then a 17 Hornet is the way to go...very accurate did you see Gerald (GMD1950) target if that does not show you what is possible then nothing else will without lots of time and money.

Like others have said if you want to see the bullet hit the target then and 223 has too much recoil in a normal rifle to see it...unless you buy a monster rifle with lots of weight...but those are expensive. just saying I think some of the suggestion are on the heavy side of the fence and lots of recoil and noise.

You already have a 223 so how does it work for you at the range is it too much ? too much noise and too much recoil ?? only you know what will make you happy.

the 223 compared to others is pretty light...others are way more in recoil and noise. So where do you stand today...people have made suggestions that in MY opinion would be not to much fun at the 100 yard range.

remember I do have the 222 and 223 and a 308 and for me if I want to have fun with these I need to reload them....otherwise they are too much for a Sunday morning good time at the range. But that is just me. That is why I love my 22 Hornet over my 17 Hornet which is the same in noise and recoil. I can't tell the difference...now when I pop off the 223 there is a big difference. Take out a 300 Win mag and pop off a few rounds and the 223 is as quite as a mouse.

Have you gone by your range and see if anybody has a Hornet to shoot to see if you like it or not. This is why the older wiser guys at the range are shooting the smallest thing that works for them...I am not 30 years old any more and I want to enjoy my time at the range...it sounds like your heading that direction.

This is driving me crazy...that is why I jumped back in. Good luck on your quest...and don't let money burning a hole in your pocket force a decision that you might regret.

Signalman
Old 10-16-2019, 11:49 AM
joelmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
joelmark sir quick question for you has your needs/wants changed...you made the comment that you don't reload now is that something you thought of doing...and if I am reading between the lines you want something with very low or no recoil so you can have fun at your range. Correct. Yes that is correct

a rifle with lots of noise for me is not very pleasing to shoot 50 rounds at one time...shooting a 22lr is a no brainer at the range...but you want a little more and you asked about the 17 Hornet...which I first told you were heading it the correct direction. That is correct also.

I don't reload right now I used too but family and life got in the way. It's fun to do but will take time to get your rifle dialed in. Do you have the time...or do you just want to buy and shoot. In my opinion if you would be happy with 1 to 1.5" groups then almost anything you buy will fill your needs. I do not have the time to reload, I just want to buy and shoot. I am not happy with anything over a 1" group it will move down the road as many have in the past.

If you want to just buy and shoot then a 17 Hornet is the way to go...very accurate did you see Gerald (GMD1950) target if that does not show you what is possible then nothing else will without lots of time and money. Looks great as well as the 22 hornet targets.

Like others have said if you want to see the bullet hit the target then and 223 has too much recoil in a normal rifle to see it...unless you buy a monster rifle with lots of weight...but those are expensive. just saying I think some of the suggestion are on the heavy side of the fence and lots of recoil and noise.

You already have a 223 so how does it work for you at the range is it too much ? too much noise and too much recoil ?? only you know what will make you happy. My .223 is a Tikka Varmint over 10 lbs. Recoil and noise is not an issue with this.

the 223 compared to others is pretty light...others are way more in recoil and noise. So where do you stand today...people have made suggestions that in MY opinion would be not to much fun at the 100 yard range. I am not looking for anything that has more recoil than the .223 it just takes away from the fun. I am not getting any younger and have nothing to prove with large calibers. I just enjoy shooting small groups this is my way of relaxing and enjoying shooting. The Big Bang theory never appealed to me.

remember I do have the 222 and 223 and a 308 and for me if I want to have fun with these I need to reload them....otherwise they are too much for a Sunday morning good time at the range. But that is just me. That is why I love my 22 Hornet over my 17 Hornet which is the same in noise and recoil. I can't tell the difference...now when I pop off the 223 there is a big difference. Take out a 300 Win mag and pop off a few rounds and the 223 is as quite as a mouse.

Have you gone by your range and see if anybody has a Hornet to shoot to see if you like it or not. This is why the older wiser guys at the range are shooting the smallest thing that works for them...I am not 30 years old any more and I want to enjoy my time at the range...it sounds like your heading that direction. There are a few older guys that are shooting the old rolling block rifles in oddball calibers with very little recoil. I have talked to them and they are making there own bullets and resizing brass for the particular cartridges they are shooting.

This is driving me crazy...that is why I jumped back in. Good luck on your quest...and don't let money burning a hole in your pocket force a decision that you might regret.

Signalman
I have replied to your questions after each paragraph. I am in no hurry at this time and am trying to narrow it down. At this point it is between the .17 hornet and the .22 hornet.

One of the original questions I asked was how much heat either puts in the barrel after say 10 shots in a shooting session???????

My tikka .223 with the heavy barrel will heat up after 10 shots and I need to set it aside.

This is the main reason I am looking for another rifle, when my .223 gets warm, I want to grab another rifle and so on.

I hope you understand that??

The 17 hornet can be had in a Varmint, the 22 Hornet in a american or a Lux. I want the heavy barrel but am leaning towards the 22 hornet?
any thoughts if I am off base. Pricing is about $20 different with the Varmint cheaper.

There are a lot more ammo choices for the 22 Hornet.

Last edited by joelmark; 10-17-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Changes
Old 10-16-2019, 12:07 PM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 hornet should produce less heat as its going quite a bit slower, I have never noticed any serious heat issues with my american but I don't think I've ever put more than 20 rounds through it in a session my .204 varmint heats up a lot but its a totally different animal. Another plus is if you don't have any .17s going with the .22 hornet will keep you from needing to buy new cleaning equipment.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:35 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 22 Hornet is a Sako L46 and the 17HH A CZ527A. Similar barrel diameter but different rifles. Heat generated by firing has never been a concern for either rifles. On my 222 or 223 it is.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:34 AM
baitcaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I have a CZ527 in 222 coming, I couldn't pass up on the price, so I need some info. What scope too use (mostly paper shooting), what ammo? I also have 527's in 7.62x39 and 6.5 grendel varmint both of them shoots 1 jnch holes a 100 yards on a good day so no complaints, thanks for any info on the scope and ammo, everyone have a blessed Lords day.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitcaster View Post
Well I have a CZ527 in 222 coming, I couldn't pass up on the price, so I need some info. What scope too use (mostly paper shooting), what ammo? I also have 527's in 7.62x39 and 6.5 grendel varmint both of them shoots 1 jnch holes a 100 yards on a good day so no complaints, thanks for any info on the scope and ammo, everyone have a blessed Lords day.

222 is quite accurate but limited in range to, say, 400y on critters or 200y on targets. I like to shoot on the bench so I'm inclined to use a fine-reticle 6-24x scope. EuroOptic is closing out some excellent Vortex FFP scopes in fact: https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...43127-new.aspx

Some folks don't like that much glass but I wouldn't go any lower than 3-9x.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitcaster View Post

Bailcaster sir could you do me a favor and open a thread talking about you getting a 222 I don't want to take away from Joelmark's thread.

Thank you.

Signalman
Old 10-20-2019, 10:54 AM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmark View Post
I have replied to your questions after each paragraph. I am in no hurry at this time and am trying to narrow it down. At this point it is between the .17 hornet and the .22 hornet.

One of the original questions I asked was how much heat either puts in the barrel after say 10 shots in a shooting session???????

My tikka .223 with the heavy barrel will heat up after 10 shots and I need to set it aside.

This is the main reason I am looking for another rifle, when my .223 gets warm, I want to grab another rifle and so on.

I hope you understand that??

The 17 hornet can be had in a Varmint, the 22 Hornet in a american or a Lux. I want the heavy barrel but am leaning towards the 22 hornet?
any thoughts if I am off base. Pricing is about $20 different with the Varmint cheaper.

There are a lot more ammo choices for the 22 Hornet.
Joelmark sir I do understand where your coming from...the way I see it is you want what everybody else wants too...to have your cake and eat it too. I want the same thing to have fun at the range...I have had my years of that...I got bored after I got as good as I could and then I changed. Now for you...your still in the game. You are asking the right questions...just need to find the right answer for you.

The bottom line is this is what is going to make you very happy...and it might take some time to figure out which caliber and rifle is going to fill your needs.

So good luck on your quest...I have faith in you that you will find the answer your looking for. I am here to help.

Signalman