Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 AM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

As the eldest of 3 kids of a single working mom, it was either learn or go hungry. Also got some good tips from my Grandma so I was able to do fairly well.
Then several years as a bachelor and I didn't want to spend the $ eating out all the time so started doing some experiments in the kitchen. Plus the ladies like a nice meal by candlelight.
Still do most of the cooking even today, just like doing it and I can make plenty for lunch at work the next week.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:28 AM
ChefDuane
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Originally learned to cook in college because chicks dig guys who know how to cook. Many years later after a career in high tech I decided to make a change but if I was going to be a professional Chef I figured I'd better be serious about it. Went to Culinary School some 15 years ago and haven't looked back. Done a few culinary ventures and am currently a Chef/Instructor and do a number of cooking programs here in the Dallas area. Not as lucrative as working in Silicon Valley but its a heckuva' lot more fun! Chicks still dig it, too!!
Old 10-22-2019, 09:09 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When we first moved in together I told my wife I was going to make breakfast.
I mixed split green pea and ham with scrambled eggs, looked horrible, tasted great. Since then she won't let touch the stove if she is home. Tsķ tisk.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One experiment after another and I learned to cook.

Most of my experiments were edible.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, from my mom and aunts. They told me” Women kill men like you with poison! You need to cook for yourself.” Then in high school , we had to do community service, i was new so I got kitchen duty, me and 4 kitchen ladies made lunch for 300 kids 5 days a week for 4 years. I could've quit after the first year but i liked it. In college , my roommates couldn’t boil water, so i cooked, they cleaned.. worked in a diner as a prep cook during college. I cook all the meals at home, my wife of 35 years does not. But she does buy cook books and flags the things she wants me to make. And buys food she wants me to cook.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can nuke a bag of popcorn and it usually turns out OK. Other than that I'm lost in the kitchen except to dry dishs. I'm a mean dish dryer. A person need to know their talents.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
A person need to know their talents.
Yup. My Sister got the artist gene from my Grandmother (Commercial artist and did oil paintings as a hobby). Sis can't cook much.

I can only draw stick figures, but I have a knack for cooking. Make most of my own meals and can usually throw something good together from whatever happens to be on hand.

I was also a "latch-key kid" on weekdays; both Parents worked. Kitchen was always stocked though, and I liked making my own meals. Bought my own hibachi (Mom & Dad never had a BBQ) at 17 and taught myself how to cook on it. For 30 years I grilled meals for my Wife, Son and I once or twice a week over charcoal.

I've found it impossible for me to lose/maintain weight unless I make most of my own meals from scratch. Too much garbage in processed foods and restaurant meals.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtrack View Post
When we first moved in together I told my wife I was going to make breakfast.

I mixed split green pea and ham with scrambled eggs, looked horrible, tasted great. Since then she won't let touch the stove if she is home. Tsķ tisk.
So you made a real bad meal so she would never ask you to cook again?

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 11:05 AM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Learned some from my mom. She taught me how to make a good London Broil, tacos, salmon. Used to make the youngest daughter's lunch - salmon, rich, and corn. She loved it until about the end of middle school.

I think that men have an innate knowledge of how to put meat over fire. Has to go back to the cave man days. Someway, somehow we know how to cook that way. No other explanation, just some we know.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:51 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Mom was not too crazy about cooking venison (claimed it did not smell like beef - its not beef Mom !!), so it was up to me and my Brother to cook it since we brought it home.

We quickly learned that ground meat was the most versatile to prepare so we packaged it in one pound packages for the freezer. I learned how to cook spaghetti, a pound of meat combined with several cloves of garlic, a small can of mushrooms and can or bottle of spaghetti sauce in a cast iron skillet, along with a double fist of spaghetti boiled up was 'bout right for our family of four. All of us preferred the sauce chunky vs. runny thankfully, so it was just some minor tweaking and parmesean cheese on top and we were happy. Some toasted bread, quartered was often made, and Dad always enjoyed a big lettuce - tomato - olives salad with his meals.

Hamburgers, carne picada some combined with chopped potato and tomato, other times mixed in Spanish rice. Simple 'stick to the ribs' recipes, we weren't out to impress, we were hongry !!
Old 10-25-2019, 01:25 PM
thomasgunn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

In my bachelor years, I discovered a little known fact ie. chicks dig guys that can cook! So I bought some cookbooks(Betty Crocker International Cookbook was my Bible!) and went to work honing my culinary "skills". Seldom at a loss for female companionship after that.......