Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Anyone D&T a 455 receiver?

II can't imagine that there hasn't been a place or person that offers a service to mount a standard picatinny rail to a 455 receiver for a more permanent solid mount more like we are used to here in the states. Anyone know who or have pictures?

And yes I understand it is likely over engineering but it just seems like a better way to do it.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:47 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
For $38 you can buy a DIP 11mm Picatinny rail adapter that works just fine.

Why would you want to D&T when the adapter does the same job without altering the receiver?
Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I've always been a bigger hammer kinda guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 01:04 AM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, get a bigger hammer then!

I don't believe that a picatinny rail would have been a good design/market decision for a rimfire sporter. The picatinny rail has grown in popularity with the later iterations of the AR platform and the like. Prior, there were ample means of securing an optic to a firearm. I think it has it's place.

All of that having been said, any smith should be able to drill and tap the receiver. Further, they should be able to alter the profile of the receiver for a good fit to the bases, modify the bases to fit the receiver, or both. Whether they be screwed on, or you go uber custom and have steel picatinny sections soldered on, well, the sky is the limit in the custom world. Find a smith that can do what you want. It just takes money.

JMK

Last edited by JMK; 10-18-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:55 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
Why would you want to D&T when the adapter does the same job without altering the receiver?
Drilling and tapping does seem like an incredible amount of overkill.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't understand the need. There are plenty good 11mm rings available that will mount up directly to the factory dovetail.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:29 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I may be an odd ball but I am known to swap optics from one rifle to another to try new things. With the picatinny rail it is easy peezy. Almost all mine have it.

I know a guy and I'll have to see if he wants to do it for me. Is the 455 flat on top so that I would need a flat bottom rail?
Old 10-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
I may be an odd ball but I am known to swap optics from one rifle to another to try new things. With the picatinny rail it is easy peezy. Almost all mine have it.

I know a guy and I'll have to see if he wants to do it for me. Is the 455 flat on top so that I would need a flat bottom rail?
It has an 11mm dovetail on the top. You would need a rail that will fit an 11mm dovetail. The good news is there are several available. Neither require a drilled and tapped receiver. They simply fit slide onto the dovetail and clamp into place. You can put a little blue Loctite on the rails to make sure they stay in place, but that really is overkill. For the ones that clamp on with vertical grub screws instead of horizontal clamp screws, you can put a small piece of lead shot in the hole prior to tightening the screw to keep them from marring the receiver. This also helps them grip the top of the rail. Drilling and tapping is unnecessary.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:55 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
II can't imagine that there hasn't been a place or person that offers a service to mount a standard picatinny rail to a 455 receiver for a more permanent solid mount more like we are used to here in the states. it.
Yeah, like CZ.

It is just the way mounts are going. Period.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:07 AM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are plenty of good rails available without the need to drill and tap. The DIP has already been mentioned. Get one,install it, and you can swap and change your optics all that you want to. These rails have been used and tested and have proven to be excellent. I don't know about anyone else, but if I saw a CZ action that had been drilled and tapped I would be very hesitant to purchase it.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:03 AM
mr2.0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Why not? Some guy made me a custom rail....I had the receiver drilled and tapped and a well known custom bolt action gun builder. It’s solid!! Never have to worry about if my rail is loose. Can’t understand why CZ still making dove tail rail

Last edited by mr2.0; 10-19-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:16 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2.0 View Post
Canít understand why CZ still making dove tail rail
Because there is a huge difference between want and need. Dovetails are sufficient for rimfires. If you want a picatinney mount or a Weaver mount, there are adapters. Not that many people care to go to the trouble of even getting an adapter.

Face it. You're not an average CZ owner.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:53 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:

Why not? Some guy made me a custom rail....I had the receiver drilled and tapped and a well known custom bolt action gun builder. Itís solid!! Never have to worry about if my rail is loose. Canít understand why CZ still making dove tail rail
How do you make sure your rings stay tight to the rail and to the scope tube?
Old 10-20-2019, 02:06 AM
mr2.0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tighten the crap out of it lol^^^
Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Canít understand why CZ still making dove tail rail
It's not a mystery. CZ is a European manufacturer. European rimfire shooters are more than satisfied that dovetail grooves with the appropriate rings are more than enough to secure optics to the rifle. They won't move. Competitive smallbore target shooters using high end rifles are quite comfortable using the dovetail grooves on them to fasten their aperture sights. Those folks take things seriously.