1911 Ciener .22lr conversion kit: Search for sight replacement - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Capttoddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1911 Ciener .22lr conversion kit: Search for sight replacement

Dear fellow rimfire enthusiasts,

I bought a Ciener .22lr conversion kit for my Springfield Armory Trophy Match Longslide for only 120. Unfortunately, the conversion kit has fixed sights. Thus, i want to replace the rear sight with an adjustable one. Does anyone of you know if standard 1911 rear sights would work? I am thinking about one like this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100584073?pid=375924

Furthermore, I would like to know if the standard 1911 .22 magazines from Brownells, Promag or GSG would work in the Ciener.

I don't plan on installing the sight myself, I would go to a proper gunsmith for this task. Maybe he could also mill out the front sight and install a dovetail, making the conversion kit ready for 1911 style front sights.

I am aware that this is kind of a "project". Ciener conversion kits are quite rare here in GerMONEY.

Greetings from Germany,

Alexander
Old 10-19-2019, 04:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Not sure, but I believe that if you install an adjustable rear you will likely need a higher front as the new rear will sit higher even when adjusted fully down.
Have you shot it? We have found that if a gun with fixed sights shoots 'to the sights' with the load(s) we like that adjustability is a moot point; ie, we arent using a variety of loads and having to tweak the sights for each one.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Capttoddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Not sure, but I believe that if you install an adjustable rear you will likely need a higher front as the new rear will sit higher even when adjusted fully down.
Have you shot it? We have found that if a gun with fixed sights shoots 'to the sights' with the load(s) we like that adjustability is a moot point; ie, we arent using a variety of loads and having to tweak the sights for each one.
No, I have not shot it. My .22lr ammo is usally CCI standard velocity or CCI Blazer HV.

That's the reason why I want to mill the front sight and replace it, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First of all I don't own a Ciener .22 Conversion Unit but I have lots of experiance with 1911 .22LR Conversion Units. I've only looked at pics of the fixed sight version, but I think the LPA TPU sight will work with your stock front sight. I've used these excellent sights before and they sit very low on the slide. I have no idea which dovetail Ciener uses. You can try contacting him, but from what I've read it may be a lost cause. I would think a LPA sight would be easy to get in Germany. You will just have to measure your dovetail and find something slightly larger and modify it to fit. As far as GSG magazines are concerned, from what I've read they work in a Ciener and will hold the slide back on a empty magazine.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Capttoddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 824tsv View Post
First of all I don't own a Ciener .22 Conversion Unit but I have lots of experiance with 1911 .22LR Conversion Units. I've only looked at pics of the fixed sight version, but I think the LPA TPU sight will work with your stock front sight. I've used these excellent sights before and they sit very low on the slide. I have no idea which dovetail Ciener uses. You can try contacting him, but from what I've read it may be a lost cause. I would think a LPA sight would be easy to get in Germany. You will just have to measure your dovetail and find something slightly larger and modify it to fit. As far as GSG magazines are concerned, from what I've read they work in a Ciener and will hold the slide back on a empty magazine.
Thanks for the info. I assume Brownells Germany can get all parts listed on Brownells USA, so rear sights should not be a problem. I read in a different thread about Ciener Conversion Kits that magazines holding the slide back will damage the slide in the long run. The slide is made out of aluminum but I dont know if can really be damaged by a little magazine...
Old 10-19-2019, 05:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The magazine doesnt contact the slide, the spring loaded button rises with the rounds fired and kicks the slide stop up into engagement. The alum slide coming forward under recoil spring tension hits the risen steel slide stop and stops abruptly. This may peen the stop notch in the slide.
You can easily modify the magazine button so it doesnt contact the slide stop.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My curiosity got me and I found the spec sheet on Cieners web site. He says the dovetail is a standard 1911A1 sight cut, so based on that a Colt Government Model dovetail cut should work. Now you know what to order. Here's the link:
http://www.22lrconversions.com/1911-inf.htm
Old 10-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
The magazine doesnt contact the slide, the spring loaded button rises with the rounds fired and kicks the slide stop up into engagement. The alum slide coming forward under recoil spring tension hits the risen steel slide stop and stops abruptly. This may peen the stop notch in the slide.
You can easily modify the magazine button so it doesnt contact the slide stop.
The Ciener magazine doesn't have a follower that locks the slide back and his Conversion Kits do not lock back on a empty magazine.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I posted that as general info regarding mags other than Ciener that might kick the slide stop since other mags were asked about.