Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM
TINCANBANDIT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Noble Manufacturing

I am looking for information on the Noble Manufacturing Company of Haydenville, MA

I would like to know who owned the company, where their original (pre-1965) factory was and any thing else regarding how they got into the gun making business.

Anyone have any info? An old advertisement, Owner's manual...anything

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Bartlow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The address I see is Noble Mfg. Co., Inc. S. Main St., Haydenville, MA 01039. It was apparently located in the brassworks building of the old Haydenville Manufacturing Co, a series of buildings built in 1875, after a flood wiped out their old buildings.

The company made farm equipment as well. They made (in my opinion) poorly designed rifles and shotguns for the lower end market. Lots of store brand guns for Montgomery Wards and JC Penney. I took a pump shotgun that Noble made apart to clean it for a friend who inherited it and had a sentimental attachment to it. The thing was ridiculously complicated.

from page 7 of a Haydenville history found at: http://nec-sia.org/pdf/2015-09-26%20handouts.pdf

Noble Manufacturing first manufactured chicken feeders and brooders, then added the line of firearms at which the Davidsons enjoyed some success and notation. During the Korean War they put out parts for the military Browning Automatic Rifle. In 1965, Noble Manufactur-ing bought and moved to the old Haydenville Brassworks, in the same village. The Old Hayden Brassworks had recently been vacated, and was a newer and more accommodating building. With growing pressure from big business, to fix the price of the arms, Noble Manufacturing went under about 1973.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (22.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:28 PM
TINCANBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, but I had most of that info...

Thanks to the Williamsburg Historical Society I got more info and pictures

I'll have a blog post next month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 12:34 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartlow View Post
Noble Manufacturing went under about 1973.
By the mid-70s S&W was selling the Noble pump shotgun as the S&W 916. Not a high quality gun, but they had a resurgence when slug shooting became popular as most of them had screw-in barrels.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I once owned a Nobel pump shotgun. It had been left in a closet of my rent-house when the renter moved out. It was in rough shape with multiple parts missing. Parts were unobtainable so I painted it flat black and put a coat of tru-oil on the stock then placed it in the glassfronted gun cabinet (along with some air guns and cheap .22's) for displays. The good stuff was always locked up in the safe.

Eventually it disappeared. It did it's job as a decoy and the thief was probably not happy.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:04 AM
TINCANBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
By the mid-70s S&W was selling the Noble pump shotgun as the S&W 916. Not a high quality gun, but they had a resurgence when slug shooting became popular as most of them had screw-in barrels.
yep, got that info too, very interesting part of the story. It seems a lot of these gun companies live on due to their designs being picked up by other gun makers

The Savage model 64 was once the Cooey model 64

The Marlin model 56 Levermatic was once the Kessler model 50

I am sure there are others....anyone else know of some? That would make an interesting topic for my blog
Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Eagle0199

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Sig P238 .380 pistol is an almost direct copy of the Colt Mustang Pistol. Both look like mini 1911 pistols. There are minor internal differences but the outsides look identical. I've placed a Colt Mustang slide and barrel on a Sig P238 lower and it functioned.

My understanding is that Colt stopped making the Mustang around 1998 (and possibly dropped the patents, or the patents expired), so Sig started making a version using the same specs. Sales took off, Colt recognized their mistake, and now Colt is making the Mustang again. Other manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon and are also making a version of the Mustang, notably Kimber and Springfield Armory
Old 10-28-2019, 01:24 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle0199 View Post
The Sig P238 .380 pistol is an almost direct copy of the Colt Mustang Pistol. Both look like mini 1911 pistols. There are minor internal differences but the outsides look identical. I've placed a Colt Mustang slide and barrel on a Sig P238 lower and it functioned.
I'd swear that I've seen a Llama .380 that looked the same and predated the Mustang. When I saw the Mustang, I thought Colt was rebranding the Llama pistols.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:19 AM
kBob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
eagle

ever see a Star Model S or Firearms International Pony from way before the Colt Mustang?

-kBob
Old 11-15-2019, 12:02 AM
TINCANBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have posted my story on Noble Firearms

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/20...nth-noble.html
Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 AM
armed hiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a Nobel 410 shotgun for one of my first hunting guns, I miss it much more than the 20 gauge my father traded it for. I have many fond memories of hunting squirrels and never once had a problem.

I was not until I started looking to replace It I found out they did not have a great reputation. Mine was flawless and as a fan of Ruger, Ithaca, Mossberg and savage I am used to "working mans guns".