Model 99 M1 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Model 99 M1

I have a chance to get a Marlin 99 M1 with pretty good wood. The receiver and trigger group and both missing a little paint. I have polished the receiver and trigger guard on several 10/22's and they look great. Just wondering what y'all think about a polished 99 M1?

Last edited by mpolk; 10-18-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nope. Sorry, you asked.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Birchwood-Casey has a good paint for firearms. Try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 11:35 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'll have to remove the paint anyway. After it is repainted, it is refinished and any value it had is pretty much gone. I guess I'll see when it is stripped.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Newtire
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did this to a .22 I had a long while ago. It was pretty ugly looking as it was so didn't figure it had much collector's value anyway. When I was done with it, it sure looked a lot better. I believe the material was something called "monel". I would say, find out if you would be destroying some important part of history before you start . If not, I don't think the world would be worse off with one less M60 say. However, a 99 M1 might be something best left as is. Tough call, it's your gun. Ask someone who is one of those "antique road show" types who really knows their stuff if you can find one. I would be curious myself as to how to approach this sort of problem.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
ohhhh, shiny.....
No, not to my tastes for that genre rifle; first thing comes to mind are the chrome plated drill rifles. Well, I guess you could call it a BBQ Gun.
I suggest a strip, smooth, nice prep and 'paint' with whatever new-gen topcoat that will be better than the oem, but same color/texture.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:53 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
I can't imagine a 99 m1 has a lot of "collector value" unless NIB......... even then I doubt there are a lot of "collectors" looking for them.

It is your rifle; do as you wish. If you are not happy you can always paint it black again.

Have fun and post photos.........
Old 10-18-2019, 05:49 PM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
First stage of polishing is done. Lots more to do, but I had to order a buffer so I'll wait till it gets here to take it apart again. Haven't even cleaned the wood yet. Good thing is, I can always rough it up a tad and paint it. Meanwhile, I kinda like it.

99m1.JPG
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Bigdog357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks good, I like it
Old 10-18-2019, 09:29 PM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 09:59 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ahhh, I know it's not done yet but the nice walnut looks better blued imo. Silver/stainless looks right with a laminate or synthetic stock. My first .22 was a 989M2 so I'm partial to the original looks. Do what ya want with 10/22s. They're made to butcher except for the old DSPs.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 AM
peteyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Ahhh, I know it's not done yet but the nice walnut looks better blued imo. Silver/stainless looks right with a laminate or synthetic stock. My first .22 was a 989M2 so I'm partial to the original looks. Do what ya want with 10/22s. They're made to butcher except for the old DSPs.
The wood is VERY nice. I agree that a blued/black receiver would look better with this walnut. I prefer keeping the factory original look. Remember this rifle was made to look like the WWII combat M1 carbine and shiny doesn't make it in combat.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 AM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a black Dura-Coat kit I've never used. Maybe this is the time, LOL.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:37 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Live with it a while, I suspect that after a bit it will become clear which way you want to go.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:14 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I have a black Dura-Coat kit I've never used. Maybe this is the time, LOL.
I'd bet that would be a great coating for the receiver. I have a Glenfield M75 which is like a 99M1 without the hand guard and a barrel mounter rear sight. It's in great shape but one side of the receiver is scrapped up. That might be a option.