Mueller 40x - Page 9 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtS View Post
Received my 40x on Tuesday. Probably won't get to shoot it for a while, but did compare it optically on a rest to several scopes I use in competition.

No comparison to Nightforce 10-50 Competition but it couldn't be. Also not as good optically as the Nightforce 8-32 and 10-40 Benchrest models I sold. The 32x just didn't have enough magnification for my old eyes.
I actually think it is better than my leupold 45X. Definitely brighter, more than the extra 5x would seem to dictate. Leupold also, in my view, has a cantankerous adjustment turret design. Crank it down too hard and it won't move without taking it apart and loosening with a wrench. Assemble it with too little torque and it won't move either. They must be in the "zone" to work.
Optically it is as good as the T36 Weaver. I have four of these, and they are my minimum standard scope. The crosshairs and dot are functionally equivalent and the brightness and field of view are better due to the 30mm tube.

It is light years ahead of the Mueller 8-32. Sharper and better field of view with a perfect reticle for benchrest. The 8-32 reticle is simply to big and heavy for benchrest.

All in all it is a bright scope (for 45x) with as near perfect a reticle for benchrest as you can find. Parallex adjusts down to 25 yds with side adjustment but scope is still light to help make weight. I don't mind objective adjustment, but with the exception of the Nightforce design, you have to be very careful about tightening them to avoid POI shift from shot to shot. I have lost matches from T36 shot to shot drift, always traced to not tightening the Parallex or focus locks enough.

So far I am very impressed with the one I got. If the clicks are accurate and repeatable and the adjustment range is adequate, this could become the budget benchrest standard. At $259 with no tax or shipping, this could be a real sleeper.
Have you found this 40X to be a real sleeper with repeatability? Or not shot that much as yet? From reading, the Germany companies optics are Japanese with other components coming elsewhere and assembled in China. Something like that.

Last edited by teetertotter; 04-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
Have you found this 40X to be a real sleeper with repeatability? Or not shot that much as yet? From reading, the Germany companies optics are Japanese with other components coming elsewhere and assembled in China. Something like that.
As far as repeatability I have had no problems. I been using this scope for both 100 yd. and 50 yd. BR
the IBS Hunter matches I been shooting consist of 50 & 100 yd. relays so I am dialing in a lot of adjustments with no problems.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 PM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After trying to order one of these for some time without any joy due to Mueller not wanting to ship internationally its taken till now to be able to place and order with a mainstream retailer. I placed the order this morning with Optics Planet. Same price fortunately just a bit more expensive to ship here and a bit of an exchange rate cost addition.
I'm looking forward to getting it and running it through its paces. It won't be my main bench rest scope but if it works out to be a good unit for our need it will finish up on a club owned rifle and it would be a plan to fit up 2 more for the other club rifles

I will report back what we think of it down the track a bit. Given we are familiar with Weaver T36's a Vortex Golden eagle, Leopold comp and March comp scopes we should be able to understand its strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by vicfox; 10-07-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfox View Post
I will report back what we think of it down the track a bit. Given we are familiar with Weaver T36's a Vortex Golden eagle, Leopold comp and March com scope we should be able to understand its strengths and weaknesses.
By all means let us know. I have a couple of the 8-32's and think they are great buys for the money.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I will report back what we think of it down the track a bit.
Please do.

I gave up in the end trying to get T36 from US.

Settled on Sightron SII 36x in the end, fine scope, very happy with it.

Giz
Old 10-25-2018, 07:07 PM
patnemes
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mueller 40X

Just received mine a few weeks ago and have had 3 trips to the range so far.All shooting was done with it mounted on a Ruger 10/22 with a Fajen silhouette stock and a heavy Green mountain barrel;
The scope is very impressive with the big 56MM objective lens and the optional sunshade attached. Eye relief is very critical requiring the shooter to make a deliberate effort to get the the full field of view. Parallax adjustment is easy and I didn't find it necessary to attach the large parallax wheel that comes with the scope. The wheel is easily attached with a built in clamp secured with an allen head screw. Lens quality is what should be expected with a scope in this price range. The target was clearly visible (target being the ABA 50 yd 25 bull target) But I did feel the there was not all the clarity I would want. That could be also my old eyes. The reticle is a very fine dot with crosshairs which can be hard to see in low light. Others at the range who looked through the scope had mixed feelings on the reticle as seen. I don't think there are any options at this time for different reticles.
Weight was not a problem but then I'm shooting off a rest so it was incidental. Windage and elevation adjustments were positive and crisp in my scope. Shooting unsupported would be an issues especially with the 40X magnification.
Overall I'm pleased with the scope so far and will continue the use it and see how it holds up. It's a good scope for the money but don't expect the same level of optical clarity you would find in scopes of the $1000 + range.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:21 AM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pleased to receive my Mueller 40x scope after the international shipping which went smoothly taking about 2 weeks.

Bearing in mind I had ordered this scope with the hope that they would be good enough to fit up to 2 of our club rifles for new members of our club who hadn't moved up to their own equipment yet and those trying out benchrest shooting.

Recognising I have purchased a lower end price bracket purpose built Target scope my expectations were mixed between the very positive reviews I have read and what a low dollar outlay generally delivers.
I think I am realistic in my understanding of whats require from a Target Scope for Rimfire Benchrest having owned and used various scopes for benchrest over the last 8-9 years not to mention 40+ years of field shooting.
These scope brands have included a Weaver T36, Vortex, Zeiss, Bushnell, Nikko-stirling and March optics.

I gave it a thorough look over and was very impressed with what I saw.
So here's my thoughts.

I am impressed with the build quality and overall fit and finish. All the adjustments are sharp and smooth. Its a little bigger than I expected with 56 mm of front lens and it certainly lets in plenty of light.
The cross hairs are very fine indeed and perfect for the 20m, 50m and 90m that I compete at. All the targets we shoot are white targets with black rings. The centre mil dot is small but an ideal size.

I fitted it onto my Anschutz 2013 bench rifle which usually wears a March 36-55 x 52 so the mounts suited perfectly to give it its first hit out at the range.

Once I had the levels right and all set up on the rests I sharpened the cross hairs for parallax then set the focus using the larger wheel supplied. The rifle is very accurate an ideal platform to assess a scopes abilities. I gave the windage and elevation a work out getting it on target quickly and although I never gave the turrets a full work out regarding returning to POA the clicks were responsive and accurate to changes made reflecting the 1/8 measure.

The clarity of this scope was exceptional. I can confidently say that the clarity compared to my experience with the Weaver T36 I had owned, its sharper, brighter and I dare to say crisper. ,
Once on target I shot a couple of cards which went very well. I needed to do a little fine tuning to get my point of aim right and the adjustments were spot on for both height and side adjustment. 1/8 is ideal to avoid the need to aim off IMO

It is only early days but at this stage I am really impressed and over the next month or so hope to stretch out over longer distances in various light conditions as my test was done at night with a well lit targets from fluro tube lighting.

I found
the eye relief no problems.

I think this scope is a very good value scope ideal for those not wanting to spend big dollars and those starting out. Any change to my finding will be re updated here if the case occurs.

Last edited by vicfox; 11-05-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:53 PM
n8sk8lee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my CZ455 FS 17MHR with Mueller 40x56

Small caliber, Medium Rings, Big Scope!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180506_161947499 (1).jpg (517.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-15-2018, 07:37 PM
AnschutzFan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First range trip with the 40x Mueller. I like it a lot. More clear than my 36x Weaver. Great value.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:22 AM
smhagger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Pleased to receive my Mueller 40x scope after the international shipping which went smoothly taking about 2 weeks.

Bearing in mind I had ordered this scope with the hope that they would be good enough to fit up to 2 of our club rifles for new members of our club who hadn't moved up to their own equipment yet and those trying out benchrest shooting.

Recognising I have purchased a lower end price bracket purpose built Target scope my expectations were mixed between the very positive reviews I have read and what a low dollar outlay generally delivers.
I think I am realistic in my understanding of whats require from a Target Scope for Rimfire Benchrest having owned and used various scopes for benchrest over the last 8-9 years not to mention 40+ years of field shooting.
These scope brands have included a Weaver T36, Vortex, Zeiss, Bushnell, Nikko-stirling and March optics.

So here's my thoughts.

I am impressed with the build quality and overall fit and finish. All the adjustments are sharp and smooth. Its a little bigger than I expected with 56 mm of front lens and it certainly lets in plenty of light.
The cross hairs are very fine indeed and perfect for the 20m, 50m and 90m that I compete at. All the targets we shoot are white targets with black rings. The centre mil dot is small but an ideal size.

I fitted it onto my Anschutz 2013 bench rifle which usually wears a March 36-55 x 52 so the mounts suited perfectly to give it its first hit out at the range.

Once I had the levels right and all set up on the rests I sharpened the cross hairs for parallax then set the focus using the larger wheel supplied. The rifle is very accurate an ideal platform to assess a scopes abilities. I gave the windage and elevation a work out getting it on target quickly and although I never gave the turrets a full work out regarding returning to POA the clicks were responsive and accurate to changes made reflecting the 1/8 measure.

The clarity of this scope was exceptional. I can confidently say that the clarity compared to my experience with the Weaver T36 I had owned, its sharper, brighter and I dare to say crisper. ,
Once on target I shot a couple of cards which went very well. I needed to do a little fine tuning to get my point of aim right and the adjustments were spot on for both height and side adjustment. 1/8 is ideal to avoid the need to aim off IMO

It is only early days but at this stage I am really impressed and over the next month or so hope to stretch out over longer distances in various light conditions as my test was done at night with a well lit targets from fluro tube lighting.

I found

I think this scope is a very good value scope ideal for those not wanting to spend big dollars and those starting out. Any change to my finding will be re updated here if the case occurs.
Hi guys,

I'm new here to this forum and come from the airgun world myself. Logged in to read this thread as I'm debating a used Weaver T36 vs. a Mueller 40X. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Mueller scope to bridge the gap between when I can fund either a Sightron or Nightforce 12-42 BR scope (to sit atop my RAW BM500).

Vicfox: I did briefly own an Anschutz 2013 BR-50 back in the day-I would love to see a photo of your gun with this scope attached (or several photos for me to drool over, LOL)!

Thanks to you all for sharing your insights and experiences-I really appreciate the feedback even though I'm not really a contributor here on this forum.

Sean
Old 01-07-2019, 05:40 AM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As requested

Old 03-14-2019, 01:10 PM
kermit1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some thoughts on my new Mueller 40X56mm Objective scope. Holy Cow! This was my first impression. When you open the box, the 30mm tube and the 56mm Objective lens takes you back, as to the size. Although I should not have been so surprised, as I have the Mueller 8X32 Target. I searched the net looking for information on the 40X, and came to this site. So far, all reports seem to be positive enough. First off, Iím not a rim fire target shooter, but a short range, (100 to 300 yard) CF target and varmint shooter. My 8X32 Mueller is set up on a 22-250, sleeved Remington 700 action, single shot conversion with a Krieger 1-14 twist barrel, and Kelby bench rest stock. This new Mueller 40X is on another sleeved Remington 700 action, single shot conversion, chambered in .222 with a Shilen 1-14 twist barrel, aluminum I-beam stock, set up for informal bench rest shooting on a home target range. At first I used the .222 with the 8X32, and that worked fine. I then saw the 40X offered and just had to have it. All I can say is NICE. I have set this up on the range and find the 56mm objective to be a real advantage to gather light. The target dot crosshairs are ideal for my application and this makes a fantastic combination for precise target shooting. One thing of concern was the listed weight. The specifications on the Mueller 40X states that it weighs 23 oz. My scale says its weighs 26.05 oz without the turret caps on. This extra 3 oz is puzzling and concerning. Another puzzle is the specifications for the Mueller 8X32 are 26.0 oz and my scale has it at 23.20 oz, Puzzling indeed! The overall fit and finish on the 40X is fantastic. The turrets were a little stiff to operate when first received, but after the scope acclimated to the shop temp, then working them up/down, they work fine now. Nothing new to report on the function of the scope, as it functions as expected without a hitch. Having used the Leupold 36X scopes in the past, this scope did everything asked of it, as long as I did my part. Overall, itís the best bang for the buck! DAN

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-16-2019, 03:03 AM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nearly 18 months down the track since our benchrest club employed a 40x on a club rifle for club use.

That rifle scope comb is the go to popular rifle and with all the difference shooters making their personal adjustments week in week out its given the Mueller 40x a extensive workout.
Happy to report no issues and never an issue getting it to suit all eye types when it comes to focas and clarity.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Realize this is an older thread, but....

I'm wondering about the size of the dot on the Mueller 40x. Specs/website say 1/8 target dot like the Sightron & T36, but the website picture does not really show the dot clearly, and looks very small or almost not there. I have a Sightron SII 36x with dot, and don't really care for that dot recticle (seems to hide the center bull on ARA/ABRA targets to me) and really like the Weaver 36x with NO dot.

Can anyone give me your opinion on whether the Mueller dot is the same as the Sightron dot, or is it smaller, etc. I have no first hand experience with a weaver dot recticle, just the Sightron one, so.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 AM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
Quote:

So here's my thoughts.

I found

I have had my 40x Mueller for some time now and can agree with all of the conclusions listed above. I find it to be an exceptional value and as long as the buyer does not expect to get a Leupold 40X for Mueller money, he should be very satisfied. I have bought some pretty decent rifles in my day for the difference in price.