My First Time and I am (receiver re-assembly) - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Hacker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

You probably won't have an issue with the barrel siezing to the receiver since it looks like it's all factory. All the factory barrels I've removed usually fall out when the v block is removed. Now an aftermarket or CPC reworked factory barrel is a completely different story.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Moly would be a good idea for the barrel when I take it down again.
Am thinking sending it to Randy at CPC might be a good idea when the time is right.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:29 PM
oldshot50
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
If you want to make it the best it can be in it's present configuration, definitely send it to CPC. You will not regret the expenditure. Randy does GREAT work! And get "the full tune-up". His trigger work will make it much more smooth and user friendly, as they say.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:57 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All these people talking about anti-seize, etc... ALL you need is a HEAT GUN. Aluminum expands twice as much with heat as steel, so to either insert or remove the barrel, simply heat the receiver with a heat gun, and they magically separate with zero effort. This also allows you to align the barrel and receiver PERFECTLY, as you heat it... and simply move/rotate things until it's just right. If it's a little off, heat it back up, and make the adjustments.

I have NO CLUE why anyone would not use a heat gun. Over time, dragging that steel barrel through the aluminum receiver will gouge it out, and eventually make it loose. With the heat gun, it slides in with zero effort, then locks in place as it cools. Do it as many times as you want, and never have to worry about it.

I do this all the time. You can get one at Harbor Freight for $10-$15. Hold it an inch away or so, move it around, and don't be afraid to heat it pretty good. Won't hurt the paint. Just be careful if the barrel is pointing down, as it will fall out once you get things hot. lol

Good Luck
Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
All these people talking about anti-seize, etc... ALL you need is a HEAT GUN. Aluminum expands twice as much with heat as steel, so to either insert or remove the barrel, simply heat the receiver with a heat gun, and they magically separate with zero effort. This also allows you to align the barrel and receiver PERFECTLY, as you heat it... and simply move/rotate things until it's just right. If it's a little off, heat it back up, and make the adjustments.

I have NO CLUE why anyone would not use a heat gun. Over time, dragging that steel barrel through the aluminum receiver will gouge it out, and eventually make it loose. With the heat gun, it slides in with zero effort, then locks in place as it cools. Do it as many times as you want, and never have to worry about it.

I do this all the time. You can get one at Harbor Freight for $10-$15. Hold it an inch away or so, move it around, and don't be afraid to heat it pretty good. Won't hurt the paint. Just be careful if the barrel is pointing down, as it will fall out once you get things hot. lol

Good Luck
This guy has it right, heat is all you need.

I don’t even bother with my heat gun, though. I bake em in the oven @ 275 and slide them together. Works great.

DrGunner
Old 10-24-2019, 01:05 AM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
This guy has it right, heat is all you need.

I donít even bother with my heat gun, though. I bake em in the oven @ 275 and slide them together. Works great.

DrGunner
You a very brave man, sir, if you are a married man. Either that, or you have a dedicated oven for such things.. If my wife of almost 50 years walked into the kitchen to find a barreled action in her oven, the first words from her mouth would be "dead man walking"....
Old 10-24-2019, 02:11 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
You a very brave man, sir, if you are a married man. Either that, or you have a dedicated oven for such things.. If my wife of almost 50 years walked into the kitchen to find a barreled action in her oven, the first words from her mouth would be "dead man walking"....
Hah! Yes, I use a secondary oven in our basement laundry room...

Shhhhhhh!!!!