Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:59 AM
big_o_tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accuracy affected by cooler weather.

I've had my "original " 10/22 since 1999. I've shot many thousands of rounds through it. It has been extremely accurate. Last year I shot a 10 round group, the first 7 rounds were all in one hole, the next 3 were about 75% in the same hole. The gun has a voltsquartsen target hammer and i have modified the stock to fit me. I shot the gun last month and it was fine.
I pulled it out of the safe to shoot sunday because I was gonna go hunting monday morning. First shot 1" low, 2nd shot 1" high, 3rd -7th shot varied in between the 1st and 2nd shots, the last shot were close to being right. Can't hunt with that kind of group.
I got my charger out to check and see if it was the ammo and it was dead on.
This is the very first time I have had any kind of accuracy issue with this gun in 20 years. What could be going on with it? Also the ammo is cci standard velocity, just bought 5000 rounds of it.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
must be bad ammo..send it all to me for proper disposal

give the chamber a good scrubbing
Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Your OP says cooler weather... how cool?

I read this in an article somewhere:

Cold air is typically dry, and thus much more dense than warm or humid air. Higher humidity means less dense air.

Denser air means higher drag, which means the bullet slows sooner, or in less distance which in turn means it drops more.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It can/will change POI. Cold barrel verses warm barrel, lube on ammo will stiffen, air density, etc will all effect a potential change.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
must be bad ammo..send it all to me for proper disposal

give the chamber a good scrubbing
And spray with hornady one shot dri lube. Cold grease and oil in the receiver .
Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 AM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
... give the chamber a good scrubbing
That. And double check things. Optics secure, torque of takedown screw, trigger & stuff in properly.

Take it apart looking for anything out of wack
clean,
Reassemble double checking it goes back together right....

Otherwise I'm stumped
Old 10-16-2019, 11:53 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Check tightness of the action screw first.
Btw, fwiw, 'one hole group' doesnt mean much if the 'hole' keeps growing with subsequent shots to become anything bigger than a 22 bullet dia. at 50yd. Center to center of the widest shots is the group it shoots. And 50yds really sorts out what does shoot over just 25yd.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would check the Ruger magazine, make sure it was seated.

I do not know what type of ammo you were using, however I have seen this behavior using Hollow point ammo and as it leaves the magazine it is scraping the edge of the chamber deforming the bullet.

Do as the others have suggested with maintenance and cleaning the chamber. I have a 1971 model that shoots tight groups like yours out to 50 yards and had this occur when I swapped magazines with a newer model and the mag. was not quite seated.

Last edited by briggleman; 10-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:45 PM
big_o_tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Check tightness of the action screw first.
Btw, fwiw, 'one hole group' doesnt mean much if the 'hole' keeps growing with subsequent shots to become anything bigger than a 22 bullet dia. at 50yd. Center to center of the widest shots is the group it shoots. And 50yds really sorts out what does shoot over just 25yd.
The one hole group I was talking about and thought I explained was 7 shots in 1 hole at 25 yards. The remaining 3 from the 10 round mag were barely outside of the hole. That's a good group in my opinion. Most of my squirrel shots are 25 to 35 yards, which is why I zero at 25 yards. I couldn't tell you what my gun does at 50 yards other than I have killed squirrels with head shots out to 70 yards with it.
Last month it was in the 80's temperature wise when I last shot the rifle. I actually loosened the action screw and then started shooting and tightening the screw with each mag/group until it was dialed in.
When I shot it sunday I would guess the temp to be around 60ish.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:01 PM
big_o_tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[RIGHT][/RIGHT
] I understand colder equals a change in things. But what gets me is that the rounds are impacting all over. I would think that a different "stress" on the stock from colder weather would just move the shot group from the bulls eye to where ever but the group would still be tight. This gun has went from 1/4" groups at 25 yards to 2" groups.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
keep your ammo warm, and see if things improve...I know when a bunch of us go shooting and it's around the freezing mark on the thermometer, keeping the ammo in a small igloo cooler with a hand warmer, keeps the malfunction rate down
Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few rifles that like the Geco Semi-Auto ammo, IF the weather is over 75 degrees, when it's cooler, the stuff shoots like Lapua CenterX, if it's warmer, it shoots like CCI Blazer.

It's pretty good stuff in my rifles, I wish I could find more of it.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:04 PM
rascally

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know if rimfirecentral likes links, so I'll say targetsportsusa. If the link works there's this https://www.targetsportsusa.com/geco...0-p-53185.aspx

Enjoy.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:59 AM
big_o_tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think cleaning may be the culprit here, at least that's what I'm hoping anyway. Since I found out about the action screw affecting accuracy I have been going longer between cleanings. I guess I'm going to have to get me a inch/pound wrench. Honestly though, I bet I haven't fire 250 rounds through the gun since the last cleaning.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:34 PM
big_o_tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gave the gun a cleaning and shot 3 ten round mags through it and it done just fine. Then on the 4th mag it had a few 1" flyers that I don't think were my fault, could be the ammo, I don't know.