Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Seabass707

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Main Spring Housing Reassembly

Well I jumped into the deep end of Mk1 disassembly and I think i went a little too far... For some odd reason the mainspring housing assembly has oozed rusty oil(?) since I bought it used and did my first disassembly. Well i decided to pull the pin on the latch assembly and investigate. Pin tapped out easily enough and i saved the ball and spring from getting lost which in itself is a miracle...So after cleaning out the gunk and getting another spring to replace the rusted one does anybody have an idea on how to get it back together?? The spring is quite stiff and it is hard to keep the ball bearing from flying off while depressing the spring. Anybody know of a specialized jig to put these housings back together? Or are these housings to be kept "factory" sealed? I have stripped the MK1 down to bare frame and replaced the original trigger and find it is not too difficult to work on with the right tools so i thought I could do the mainspring housing too. Thanks
Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I changed the mainspring in my Mark II some years ago. As I recall you will need a slave pin to put it back together and then it's a pip. I would like to put the stock spring back in it but it ain't worth it.
Good luck.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems like I remember a thread or maybe a sticky by an ex member on how to do that,but I canít recall his name? I think he was/is a gunsmith in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 09:18 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Been some years....but, iirc
The difficulty arises from the upper being not completely forward and into position on the lower for the pin to go up through it properly. Once you get the upper/lower right it pops together.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 PM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
To reassemble th housing you will need a punch made for round headed pins and a bench vice on a firm table. Put the punch horizontal in the vice. Assemble parts in the housing and start the pin that holds it together. Now push it all in the housing and set the pin.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM
anita

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like something I want to avoid. Thanks for the heads up, going to the garage to do an oil change on mine right now.
Anita
Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay View Post
Seems like I remember a thread or maybe a sticky by an ex member on how to do that,but I canít recall his name? I think he was/is a gunsmith in Wisconsin.
Dennis Wood ...Sorona Gun works in Wisconsin. He used to have a service where he would take your Mark I , II or III main spring housing disassemble it ,clean,polish & smooth out any rough spots & replace the main spring with a new one for a pretty reasonable price. I don't know if he still does it though.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:56 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have access to a drill press, put the housing in a drill press vice and compress the ball/spring with a rod in the press to re-install. If not, find someone to help you compress it. A bench vice can also be rigged up to compress it with a little imagination.

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W