Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:16 PM
JGP

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Shipping an air pistol

Hoping someone can answer this for me. Is it legal for me to ship an air pistol to Rhode Island? I have a Webley Tempest listed for sale on another site and just found out the buyer is in Rhode Island.
I googled RI. gun laws and they are kinda contradictory. Don't want to get in trouble. Send it to him or send his money back? Any advice appreciated. thanks
Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
An air gun is NOT a firearm. That being said, Rhode Island may take a different view. I suggest going to the source, that is, RI. You might also send Rhody a PM. He might have some insight.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2019, 01:16 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sold and shipped a Webley Tempest to a buyer in California last year. Rhode Island couldn't be any worse than that state. USPS Priority. No problems. Its not a firearm. You don't have to declare anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 02:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVK View Post
I sold and shipped a Webley Tempest to a buyer in California last year. Rhode Island couldn't be any worse than that state. USPS Priority. No problems. Its not a firearm. You don't have to declare anything.
CA (my State) actually has very few airgun restrictions. Guys in my club have .45 cal air rifles that shoot 265 grain slugs at >800 fps.

But it's a good idea to look at what localities (cities, counties, etc.) within a state restrict such things before shipping an airgun there. Rural areas might have few restrictions, but some cities view certain airguns similar to firearms.

Illinois has heavy statewide restrictions...

"In Illinois, muzzleloaders and black powder guns are considered firearms. Air guns that are larger than .18 caliber and that have a muzzle velocity greater than 700 feet per second are also regulated as firearms."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

Most States aren't so harsh, but many do have local restrictions.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:53 AM
JGP

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
thanks for the replys