Kidd bolt radius - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Drooper
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd bolt radius

I have a new Kidd bolt, bought last year but the build got put on hold due to personal issues. Just started again, and looking at the Kidd bolt vs oem, the Kidd doesn't appear to be radiused at all. Am I missing something?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:16 AM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 12:12 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
I just looked at the Kidd website, and according to that, the bolt should be radiused, polished, pinned, and headspaced. I just bought a JWH bolt a couple of weeks ago, and it came the same way. It was radiused, pinned, polished dead smooth, and I'm willing to bet that it's also headspaced. Both Kidd and JWH have a reputation they want to live up to, so their bolts and other parts are made to a much higher standard of quality than the factory bolts which are machined just enough to make them fit and work in a 10/22 with the minimum time and effort on the assembly line. That doesn't mean that they aren't good bolts, just that they aren't super precise the way the aftermarket bolts are. Yours should be radiused, but Kidd may not use a very large radius. If it really hasn't been radiused, call Tony and I'm sure that he will take care of that, and on his dime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 01:47 PM
BC42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a JWH Custom bolt last week and it wasn't polished but machined and bead blasted. I spent some time polishing the contact surfaces. My TD bolt was polished at all the contact points.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
All my Kidd bolts are radiused. It isn't as extreme a radius as you see on some of the other aftermarket or diy bolts you see but I'm assuming they use the radius they do for a reason. I know all of my Kidd bolts run very well and I've never had any issues with one.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You really only need enough radius to reliably cycle your weakest ammo. Any more than that, and you start beating up your bolt and receiver - unless you add a buffer to absorb the punishment.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Stanley82

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My kidd bolt is also radiused as well as the JWH bolts. Just a heads up I received a new JWH bolt this week and it had little spots that looked like rust pits staring to form so I had to send it back. Sorry no picture of it. But here is a picture of a KIDD and JWH bolt radius. Kidds is on the left
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Drooper
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine certainly doesn't have as much radius as that one...

**EDIT: Missed the part about the Kidd being on the left... Thanks for the pics/help everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolt.jpg (482.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Drooper; 05-18-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooper View Post
Mine certainly doesn't have as much radius as that one...

**EDIT: Missed the part about the Kidd being on the left... Thanks for the pics/help everyone!
The one on the right in your pic is definitely radiused, and safe.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Knilc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish I owned a bench grinder.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:04 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knilc View Post
I wish I owned a bench grinder.
Belt sander works too. at least it did for me.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:34 PM
BC42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HF has little 3" grinder/polisher for under $30. There's a 25% off coupon for today or 20% off coupons they send out regularly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...her-94071.html

It's not the best and the motor isn't very strong but it works pretty well if you're patient. Main reason I got this was because I found myself polishing little stuff a lot and while my dremel works great, it's time consuming on larger areas. I have a 8" bench grinder in the garage but I wanted the convenience of having a small one on my hobby desk/bench.

They also have one with a variable speed motor for about $9 more. I probably should've bought that one. It also comes with a flex shaft but the reviews aren't good on that.
https://www.harborfreight.com/bench-...aft-43533.html
Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 PM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
out of battery firing?

I did the DIY bolt radius thing on both of my 10/22 bolts about 10 years ago.
This past weekend I had a Ka-Boom with one of the guns, shooting Remington Thunderbolt ammo (cheap-o, low quality, I know). I don't know if the gun was at fault or the ammo. I'm communicating with both Ruger and Remington now.

Anyhow, I have since cleaned and repaired my gun (it needed a new extractor and plunger; those were blown out of the gun and lost. And my Ram-line magazine plastic body was split at the seams.)

I then tested my gun with some PRIMED empty .22LR cases. I carefully pulled the bullets from 5 live rounds, being careful not to bend or deform the cases, or the rims, in any way. (I drilled .22" holes thu some 3/8" plywood and used that to hold the cartridges steady while I pulled the bullets with a big vice-grips pliers.

Using these empty cases in the chamber, I would manually pull the bolt back just a small amount and then pull the trigger. With the smallest amount of movement that I could do consistently, which I think is about 0.5 mm, the firing pin would hit the rim hard enough to fire the primer. At 1 mm of bolt-open, the rim of the case got touched, but not enough to detonate it. Pulling the bolt back more than 1 mm and holding it there during the hammer fall only resulted in a "click" that sounded like a dry fire, but the firing pin never hit the rim of the cartridge case.

BUT, I'm wondering if having the bolt 1 mm less than fully seated is far enough "out of battery" to allow the case to blow out just forward of the rim on a high velocity .22LR round. Is that what could have caused my ka-boom? (Let's set aside for a moment the question of why this round wouldn't have been fully chambered. Let's just assume the bullet or case mouth was slightly out of round, more oval shape, and thus it was a poor fit for the chamber.)

Has anybody else here done tests with their guns and snap-caps or empty brass to see what kind of firing pin strike you get from your 10/22s when you have the bolt less than 100% fully forward?

A factory-standard bolt that is not radiused should not be so easy to fire out of battery. The hammer would impact the bottom edge of the bolt before it got to the top part where the firing pin is. The more you radius, the more potential "out of battery" you can have while still smacking the firing pin. At least that's how it looks to me-- I'm not a machinist or mechanical engineer. But my ASVAB scores for mechanical aptitude were way up there, in the top 5%.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
I too have done a few bolts using the belt sander, works well for me.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:11 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
YUPP.. Belt Sander is fantastic for this job!