Recommended scope for CMP Rimfire spotter..Leupold vs Vortex - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Dvsride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Recommended scope for CMP Rimfire spotter..Leupold vs Vortex

Hi, I’m planning to attend a CMP match soon and want to use a scope for my .22lr AR. I know the max magnification is 6x. I currently have a Leupold AR mod 1 1.5-4x on another rifle I own. Some have recommend me the vortex crossfire II 3-7x rimfire scope as well.

So my question is..... would you recommend the Leupold I have and switch it to the .22lr rifle or buy the vortex crossfire I instead. Will parallax be a problem as the leupold is set at 100 for the Leupold? I plan to set the scope at 4x for the 25/50yd distance.

Any suggestions or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 AM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try this one

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...dom-efr-3-9x33
Old 10-10-2019, 06:15 AM
paule
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
99% (118)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvsride View Post
Hi, Iím planning to attend a CMP match soon and want to use a scope for my .22lr AR. I know the max magnification is 6x. I currently have a Leupold AR mod 1 1.5-4x on another rifle I own. Some have recommend me the vortex crossfire II 3-7x rimfire scope as well.

So my question is..... would you recommend the Leupold I have and switch it to the .22lr rifle or buy the vortex crossfire I instead. Will parallax be a problem as the leupold is set at 100 for the Leupold? I plan to set the scope at 4x for the 25/50yd distance.

Any suggestions or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
send it to leupold to reset parallax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I posted a reply and it got lost? Or I never hit the button to submit? Now it has been a few days. ....

My suggestion was to get the Leupold 3-9x EFR AO. EFR= extended focal range. I think it is now in the Freedom line. This is a great scope that can be set with tape to 6x. You will have the max legal magnification. The tape is common and accepted practice. You will have a high end rimfire scope that will serve you well for a lifetime. It has AO. The reticle is a fine duplex. The CMP matches are well attended and you dont want to limit your self with the scope.

DavePat - Exactly. Same suggestion, less words. Follow that link.

((I wonder has this been posted on multiple sites or multiple RFC sub forums? I hope I am not loosing my mind))

One more thought, the 1.5-4x is a good magnification for a center fire hunting rifle. Or it would be better to swap onto a centerfire AR.

You could ask if Leupold will sell you a turret for the elevation? That was an option for the vx2 lineup. Easy enough to take the cap off.

Last edited by fourbore; 10-10-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Both decent scopes. The Leupold has a little bit better glass but is also more than 2◊ the price of the Vortex. At 6◊ I don't think it's going to affect your score no matter which one you choose. I would be more concerned with which reticle works better for you.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 4X actually will work for the sporter match. I have shot it with an old 4X Weaver, the 10 ring is pretty large on the Sporter target. A 6 would be better but you may want to try the 4X before buying another scope. I've also shot it with a peep, also fun. Now have a 10/22 with a red dot but haven't shot the match with it. I didn't shoot the scope enough to figure out the best eye relief, it's way different between prone and sitting. Great fun.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:58 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
You might also consider a Clearidge 3-9x32mm Ultra Rimfire for about $220. It's a great scope for the money and gives the Leupold VX2 3-9-33mm a run for it's money. I've used both for CMP and both do an excellent job.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Two of us shot with inexpensive Simmons 3x9 rimfire scopes with AO and target knobs. Clear optics but not much eye relief. I didn't adjust elevation between distances. Light weight. Might be a crap shoot on quality but we are three for three getting good usable scopes. The parallax focus and turrets come in handy.