First day at the range with my Anschutz 64 MPR - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

OP-

Good shooting no matter what.

One suggestion, other than what has been said above-

Clean your barrel and take 5-10 foulers before shooting for results for each ammo switch. You don't want any leftover lube disrupting the manufacturer's "formula" for lube and skewing your results.

I had a great day with my Anschutz and went through 150 rounds of a particular lot of Eley Black. I had picked up a box of Federal Automatch for my Henry but used it with my Anschutz while forgetting to clean the barrel.

The Automatch shot bit better than the Eley Black to my wonderment and awe and then, after three five shot groups, didn't. I realized my mistake to my chagrin.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 PM
MN22LRFan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1727F chamber

Smoothtrigger - are you sure the 1727F has a sporting chamber ? Don't recall the discussion on this issue when the Fortners first came out. Or could it be semi-match or ? ? Thanks !
Old 10-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The best type of lot testing that can occur is when one of your shooting buddies finds a great lot of ammo (Center-X in this case), and lets you bum a box of it off him.

So I shot this test (it was raining and blowing enough that it took 40 minutes to shoot this), and got these results.

Bought a case on the same day.
This is not the lot of CX that I used to win our year long USBR championship.
I'm saving it to use when I run out of the case that I bought after lot testing my rifle at the Lapua Test center in Mesa Arizona a year and a half ago.

So sweet.

Smooth

By the way, he started shooting this lot of ammo in his Anschutz 1903 for the last half of this year, and is going to be super competitive next year.
He took third place this year shooting an inferior, but still good lot of ammo for the 1st half of the year.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-15-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MN22LRFan

100% sure.

In fact I believe when I first got it, it was able to fully chamber a Stinger, but I don't have one laying around to double check. So not 100% sure of that.
I don't shoot Stingers. I bummed one off another shooter to have around, but now I can't find it.

The only Fortner actioned Anschutz rifles that come with a match chamber are the Biathlon rifles, the 1927F CISM, a few semi-one off's from ANA, and that super rare Fortner
Benchrest rifle that I don't recall its model number.

Found it. Maybe I should pick one of these up.
http://www.nordicmarksman.com/F27A-B...lnut.html#nogo

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-16-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just what is a "sport" or "sporting" chamber? This is of relevance to anyone with an Anschutz repeater, including the OP, who is shooting a MPR. Does it always have the same dimensions as what is described by PTG as "LR Sporting"?

I'm thinking it probably does not. Chambers on Anschutz sporting rifles like the 1710, for example, are known for being less welcoming or accommodating to many non-match ammos, such as CCI SV, which is hard to chamber on the Anschutz but which chambers effortlessly on so many other sporting rifles.

Other rifles that are repeaters boast "match" chambers, however it is not clear what defines a "match" chamber. Lilja barrels, for example, are supposed to have a match chamber, yet they are frequently used on repeaters, including the CZ switch barrel models, the 455 and 457.

How do the dimensions on these chambers compare to chambers found on single shot match rifles? I don't know.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are nearly as many sporting chamber dimensions as there are match chamber dimensions. Some sporting chamber dimensions are very likely much closer to match dimensions than they are to the sporting chambers found on more everyday rifles.

Perhaps Anschutz has several different types of chambers -- called sporting or otherwise -- that are not the same as those found on Anschutz single shot match rifles.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My info from ANA is that Anschutz has 2 chambers that they will not give out the specs on.

One for the target rifles, and one for the Hunting rifles that I call Sport. Not sure why I do that.

I agree that there are dozens and dozens of .22lr chamber reamers.
The chamber on my 1416 that I re-barreled with a Benchmark 2 groove is a one-off that my gunsmith had in his inventory.
He had a shooter that had it custom made by PTG, and my smith did not receive any paper work with it showing what the dimensions are. I suppose he could measure the reamer, but why bother.
The dude just left it with him.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-16-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:40 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaylor2 View Post
This is my first post but I have been lurking for about 6 months. I have been studying for my first Anschutz rifle.I have been competing against them since my days shooting 22 silhouette pistol competitions. And not doing very well.

I took the plunge and bought a 64 MPR and today was the first day at the range. I installed a Muller 8X32X44 scope. I started by seasoning the barrel with shooting 300 round of CCI Standard Velocity ammo through it and pulled a bore snake through the barrel after each 100 rounds.

I shot 5 fouling rounds of each type of ammo then shot for groups. I shot 8 five round groups of each ammo at 50 yards. I will list them in order of group size average from smallest to largest groups.

1. SK Rifle Match .302 center to center at about 17 cents a round
2. SK Pistol Match .315 12
3. Eley Tenex .339 31
4. Wolf Match Target .341 11.2
5. Eley Club .359 11.4
6.CCI Standard Velocity .369 4.2
7. Lapua Center-X .380 21.9 It didn't like this at all

I shot off a front rest and a rear bag. I have a Magneto Speed chronograph and I will test the top 4 to see if there is velocity correlation as well. The rifle now has 500 rounds through it and I don't know if it's settled in yet or not. I have not shot off a bench before and don't know if this is the correct process to be going through. Any comments are welcome as this is new to me. Thanks. Bob
Bob,
If you have only been here 6 months and this was your first post, how did you get a join date of Oct. 2002 ?

TPC Rating:
0% (0)

Just asking.

Anyway I read your post and some of the advice you have gotten so far. We all have different opinions about what helps and what does not, each have a certain amount of merit.

Here is my 2 cents worth. First, ditch the bore snake, ( been there, done that ) clean your rifle in a more traditional method and a little more often. Just a routine cleaning every so many rounds and then a good cleaning every 500 rounds or so. A really good custom barrel will usually start falling off at about 70 rounds or so. A dirty barrel will shoot good, but a clean barrel is more consistent. JMO Yes, it will take a few more shots to foul in back in however.

The Muller scope is okay for a beginning, but start saving up for some better glass, most of my scopes cost as much as the rifles I have them on. If you like the 8-32 I would suggest a Bushnell 4500 Elite. I like fixed power competition scopes. Leupold or Sightron

Drop the center to center group sizing. Measure outside to outside, if the groups hold under .400 for 5 shots the ammo is okay. You want to see them round and not elongated. Keep the POA away from POI, its hard to shoot at a hole and keep it small. Make the POA a small dot or intersecting lines. Level the scope to match the horizontal and vertical lines, this gives a consistent POA. I like shooting single shots at targets designed to be scored as such. This will help detect if your doing your part, consistent ammo will have consistent results, as will a consistent shooting routine.

If putting a piece of rubber under the barrel helps it to shoot better, then all that did was to expose a bedding or barrel mount issue. A temporary solution to the issue at best, the wood stock will finally give way to the consistent pressure and you will be back to square one again. Again JMO

Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the above comments about a piece of rubber or whatever under the barrel. I've been down that road, and yes, i have gotten some guns to shoot well that way. But in every case, it proved to be more or less temporary, a band aid fix if you will, and proper bedding and free floating fixed the issue every time. And with padding under the barrel, the barrel is more prone to being moved by changes in humidity and temperature.

Don't overlook the significance of rest equipment and proper setup.

As usual...for what it's worth.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:43 PM
rnaylor2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My join date was 2007 as that was when was shooting 22 Lr pistols in steel silhouettes. I'm getting old now (74) and it's no longer fun shooting on my back. I want to go at this in stages so the first was to get a capable rifle and learn technique as well as having better understanding of realistic expectations of accuracy.

So far this is a personal competition with myself to get better and better. I live in North West Florida and can't find any matches close to me but I am still looking. I shoot two days a week and love doing it. I have seen Know Your Limits matches and my fist time shooting my dingers during the first 300 rounds I cleaned them all the first time so I wanted to get even better. It's amazing how each shooting discipline has so many new challenges. But it keeps my mind active challenges me every day.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:12 AM
rhanks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good Shooting lists lot numbers for rimfire ammo on their website. Make sure they have plenty in stock before you order so you can reorder what you want. The website will list how much is in stock for each product. They usually have good prices too.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:08 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaylor2 View Post
My join date was 2007 as that was when was shooting 22 Lr pistols in steel silhouettes. I'm getting old now (74) and it's no longer fun shooting on my back. I want to go at this in stages so the first was to get a capable rifle and learn technique as well as having better understanding of realistic expectations of accuracy.

So far this is a personal competition with myself to get better and better. I live in North West Florida and can't find any matches close to me but I am still looking. I shoot two days a week and love doing it. I have seen Know Your Limits matches and my fist time shooting my dingers during the first 300 rounds I cleaned them all the first time so I wanted to get even better. It's amazing how each shooting discipline has so many new challenges. But it keeps my mind active challenges me every day.
Bob,
Keep that frame of mind.

Unless you like to travel NW Fla does not offer too many options as to ARA or IR50 matches. There are some in Georgia, Alabama and LA, look up the ARA website
https://www.americanrimfire.com/index.php/club/listall

Also you might want to touch base with a member on here that goes by Earnest, look in the Benchrest section here on RFC. He ( I think) lives in Northern Fla, and attends some informal matches and may be able to give you some advice about where to find them.

Again, Good Luck

Last edited by 52DH&R12; 10-16-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spellen
Old 10-16-2019, 04:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Invest in a good tuner and you will consistently do better.