Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Mlatimer2017

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI 40gr Gamepoint

So I’ve read a couple posts from several years ago talking about how the gamepoint acted like FMJ and didn’t expand at rifle velocities. I haven’t used it before and I’ve been looking for a good coyote load so I picked up a box last night along with a box of the standard 40gr maxi-mag hollow points I have used in the past. I don’t have any gel to perform testing on but I have a serious surplus of Fox squirrels at my disposal. This afternoon I will use both rounds and compare the results. I realize this may not be the best testing media since squirrels aren’t coyotes but it should suffice. Has anyone experienced FMJ like performance or lack of expansion out of recent production gamepoints? I am also interested in how the 35gr gamepoint compares to the 40gr, maybe the lighter weight and faster speed will solve the lack of expansion. Would it come at the cost of less penetration? I will be getting some of the 35gr to test soon. Im hoping for a good balance of expansion and penetration, we will see which one comes out on top.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 AM
elkkiller
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talked to a guy at the range that used them on coyotes and said that he was getting exit wounds with them but the shot better then anything else he had tried.

I like the 50 gr feds, I also like to shoot high shoulder and head shots.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Bottom Gun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've recovered 40 gr Gamepoints shot into water filled jugs and found they expand well and retain nearly all of their original weight.
Accuracy is excellent. I like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Mlatimer2017

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
after testing on several squirrels my results have been about what I figured would happen. Over the course of the weekend I bagged 5 squirrels 3 with gamepoints and 2 with maxi-mag hollow points. The game points seemed to perform how I expected, you pretty much have to hit a bone to get expansion on squirrels. The first shot was through the chest cavity of a squirrel facing me and the exit would was a 22 caliber hole. However the next two shots were side shots through both shoulders and the exit woulds were nickel sized holes indicating some expansion took place. The maxi-mag hollow points did seem to expand more, producing exit wounds nickel sized or slightly larger. Both shots with the maxi-mags were side shots through the chest cavity missing most of the shoulders on both. While these tests did show the hollow points had a propensity to expand to a greater degree than the soft points, that is generally the case between the two. Further testing needs to be done with media more closely matching the target animal before a conclusion is drawn. I will be testing the gamepoints on coyotes as soon as I get a chance for a true test of terminal performance.

Last edited by Mlatimer2017; 10-14-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:44 PM
dutchmac
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have some, and have used them in my Henry against possums and other nocturnal marauders around the farm. Not really pleased with them, to be honest. As you said they have to hit a bone to expand. Maxi's don't have that issue, nor do my preferred Winchester JHP's. The Gamepoints usually require a second shot unless I can hit them in the head, but the other two are usually one and done.

As far as accuracy, the Gamepoints do have that going for them. About an inch and a half at 50 yards, iron sighted is the best I can do with them. I attribute most of that to my eyes though. Still, 1.5" ain't too shabby for me. They seemed to do better in my Marlin, and I have popped a couple groundhogs out to 175 so they can't be too bad.

Still, the lack of expansion bothers me. Perhaps it's my rifle or I may just be too hard to please. But I like things to stop where they're shot, not crawl off and die slowly. The Gamepoint bullets just don't do that for me.

Mac
Old 10-23-2019, 09:27 PM
lastofthebreed
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI 40gr Gamepoint

I just purchased a CZ 457 in 22 Mag. It shoots the 40 gr Gamepoints into less than .75 inch at 50 yds. I plan on using them to take hogs at short range (less than 75 yds) I am only going to take head shots and hope the expansion is controlled enough to get the job done.