An early cheek piece - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
An early cheek piece

My rifle apparently had one of these. Have you seen these before?
[IMG][/IMG]

I have old magazines that showed these cheekpieces for about $1.50
Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 AM
dokey
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Aftermarket add on
Old 10-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Yes, the whole buttstock is not original. Big Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
Yes, the whole buttstock is not original. Big Larry
Not my point in posting the photo. I wanted to know if someone has one kicking around. I have an old gun magazine that advertized them for sale Waaaay back for about $1.75 each.
The photo is one I found on the net, my rifle is a 1942 52B, and has the screw holes from the cheekpiece. I just want to take my old beast back to period appearance and then also find a Vaver front sight to match the rear.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:46 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In the early years of target shooting these, I have found that lots of these target shooters did lots of things to the stocks to make them fit their cheek, drop, etc... by cutting, whittling, shortening, lengthening, etc... I've bought a few pretty cheap because of the modifications (butchering) done to the stocks...
Your chance of finding one of those raised cheek pieces is pretty slim, but it wouldn't be out of the question to make one even though they aren't original to the rifle but an aftermarket add on. Good luck on finding a Vaver sight also, they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth....

Bob
Old 10-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire10ring View Post
Not my point in posting the photo. I wanted to know if someone has one kicking around. I have an old gun magazine that advertized them for sale Waaaay back for about $1.75 each.
The photo is one I found on the net, my rifle is a 1942 52B, and has the screw holes from the cheekpiece. I just want to take my old beast back to period appearance and then also find a Vaver front sight to match the rear.
I understand completely. Should have chosen my wording a little more carefully. Sorry. Big Larry
Old 10-12-2019, 12:32 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
I understand completely. Should have chosen my wording a little more carefully. Sorry. Big Larry
No problem at all, and I hope I wasn't too blunt (call it to-the-point) of which I am pilloried for on a regular basis.
The stock has many modifications and as another said, that is how you can get them for a lot less money. I am not attempting to bring the stock back to original appearance, but to the looks of when it had the majority of the vintage alterations. The barrel band is removed, and an internal and external "tuner" have been added. It is a 1942 receiver and the barrel date is 1938.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Actual 1942 dated receivers are very uncommon, and usually show earlier bbl. dates.
I had a "42" M52-B at one time and it had a "40" dated bbl. I believe I have heard of "42" dated bbls. but I really do not follow the M52 series any longer. Lost interest, although I still have several. Big Larry
Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Actual 1942 dated receivers are very uncommon, and usually show earlier bbl. dates.
I had a "42" M52-B at one time and it had a "40" dated bbl. I believe I have heard of "42" dated bbls. but I really do not follow the M52 series any longer. Lost interest, although I still have several. Big Larry
I thought that the 52's were your forte. What then do you use and follow?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:00 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Good luck on finding the parts you want. I will dig out the email for a gentleman that deals in scope and sights here so you can contact him. The check piece is going to be tough. You may stand a chance at some of the bigger shows. Or you may want to find someone to make one for you. As an aside I had a Winchester 75 with a Vaver Rear Sight and the front was a Lyman 77H, both looked to be period to the rifle. HTH
Old 10-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
I thought that the 52's were your forte. What then do you use and follow?
I do not collect them any longer. My 77 year old brain simply remember all the info on as many guns as I have. Last count 186. All types shapes and sizes. Big Larry