597 peened breach face and webbing on new jarvis barrel - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
Thank you for the welcoming my Infidel friend, the original heavy barrel in this rifle shot well, but I do not remember as many malfunctions and it and almost none in my standard weight Barrel with a different receiver. I have two bolts, barrels and Trigger housings I use for this project. All parts are like new.
Nothing can physically hit the breech area of the Remington 597 unless it's the firing pin or something stuck. This Jarvis barrel is also made so the firing pin cannot damage the barrel if I'm not mistaken, either way it's after 12 position and the damage is at the 3 position.
If the twin tool steel guide rails are twisted in any way, they would not let the bolt ride forward.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 PM
GladesGuy's Avatar
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2013
Location: 
So. Fla.
Posts: 
2,931
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tkdninja, have you talked to Jarvis about the problems you're having? It is possible that if you send them that picture of the barrel breach they may want to check the barrel for improper machining. It would certainly be worth your while to check with them on the matter. They might come up with a solution at no cost to you. Also welcome and good luck with your rifle!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all, I contacted the manufacturer Jarvis months ago on this issue when I first noticed the peening.
He has never heard of the issue.
The rifle is fully disassembled after every hundred rounds or so and maintained thoroughly and constantly improved upon.
The peening has become worse over time and I have the pictures to show.
The action and Barrel is bedded, but there is no loose bedding that can cause damage.
Ill use my other bolt to see if the issue continues, or maybe it will cure my failures to feed/extract and the peening will end. Either way soft brass cannot cause peening on my hardened steel surface. I already tried peening with the brass case.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Are you for sure and certain it didnt come that way and you did not notice until....?
Yup, it was a custom Jarvis Barrel and it looked brand new
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,011,943
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkdninja View Post
Action is as clean as can be, but it hangs up quite frequently which is what may be causing the damage.
What exactly is happening when the action "hangs up"? Bolt jammed up? Round part way in the chamber? Empty sticking out? Extractor stuck in the cut?
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:07 AM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What exactly is happening when the action "hangs up"? Bolt jammed up? Round part way in the chamber? Empty sticking out? Extractor stuck in the cut?[/QUOTE
the bolt doesn't Jam, but rather the round fails to extract and double feeds
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:17 AM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://imageshack.com/i/plXx3hLTj
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:18 AM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://imageshack.com/i/pmS9Q2jej
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,011,943
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After you fix the edge of the chamber and extractor cut peening really scrub the chamber with a good cleaner and a bronze brush. Then manually drop a round in the chamber to check for resistance. I'd also replace the extractor after cleaning out the extractor hole. You can power blast the hole on the underside of the bolt with pressurized cleaner. Brake cleaner works well for me. Don't oil it when done.

My VQ barrel is fussy and preferably likes to be cleaned every box or so.
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
After you fix the edge of the chamber and extractor cut peening really scrub the chamber with a good cleaner and a bronze brush. Then manually drop a round in the chamber to check for resistance. I'd also replace the extractor after cleaning out the extractor hole. You can power blast the hole on the underside of the bolt with pressurized cleaner. Brake cleaner works well for me. Don't oil it when done.

My VQ barrel is fussy and preferably likes to be cleaned every box or so.
Thanks Al the infidel, I will do exactly this
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 AM
GladesGuy's Avatar
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2013
Location: 
So. Fla.
Posts: 
2,931
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The more I look at that breech face, the more it seems that the problem might be that the barrel is sitting a tiny bit too far into the receiver and the bolt is rebounding against the breech face more than it should. I wonder if you could try shimming the barrel so that it sits slightly more forward in the receiver. Perhaps a shim made out of an aluminum coke can. I mention this because if I remember correctly, early Jarvis barrels had a problem alighning with the receiver and some folks had to file the reciever a tad to get barrels to fit. This may be the opposite problem.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
The more I look at that breech face, the more it seems that the problem might be that the barrel is sitting a tiny bit too far into the receiver and the bolt is rebounding against the breech face more than it should. I wonder if you could try shimming the barrel so that it sits slightly more forward in the receiver. Perhaps a shim made out of an aluminum coke can. I mention this because if I remember correctly, early Jarvis barrels had a problem alighning with the receiver and some folks had to file the reciever a tad to get barrels to fit. This may be the opposite problem.
Hey Gladesguy, I know what you're talkin about when you say filing down the receiver to make the barrel fit. I filed my receiver down just slightly so I can see light through all the edges when my Barrel is fitted in and tightened down. The bolt hits the breech face perfect and squarely in my opinion. The marks are even and nothing moving can cause of the peens. Something had to have gotten inside. Actually the barrel is made so the firing pin cannot hit the barrel when the dry fired
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:20 PM
thauglor

Join Date: 
Jul 2012
Posts: 
332
TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Cant help with the extractor peening issue, but as my intuition proved correct, the barrel steel is only the bright steel in the middle. The rest of the block is separate from the barrel.

It looks like a cast part. The OPs block doesn't have any of the machining marks of the the other poster who posted the picture of the breech face. Can you get a new breech face piece? Not familiar with that platform so not sure what to call if

Last edited by thauglor; 10-10-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-16-2019, 12:54 AM
Tkdninja

Join Date: 
Sep 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thauglor View Post
Cant help with the extractor peening issue, but as my intuition proved correct, the barrel steel is only the bright steel in the middle. The rest of the block is separate from the barrel.

It looks like a cast part. The OPs block doesn't have any of the machining marks of the the other poster who posted the picture of the breech face. Can you get a new breech face piece? Not familiar with that platform so not sure what to call if

Hey thauglor, the peening is also on the barrel, so I can't just get a new breach face part.
The first thing I did is call Jarvis and the gentalman said he's never heard of it and we talked about it for some time.
What I've been doing is taking my brass punches and opening up the peened webbing, since some of my brass punches are angled.
I ordered a .22 chamber ironing tool from ebay and it was too small, probably for a .17. Haven't seen any others on the internet.
I've only had 1 fte since I've been opening up the peened webbing, which I think may be an improvement.
2 matches ago I scored 222 and 222 on each usbr 50 yd target using midas +.
Last match I scored 223 with each, maybe because I opened up that peened area?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,011,943
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkdninja View Post
I've only had 1 fte since I've been opening up the peened webbing, which I think may be an improvement.
What exactly is webbing?
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x