Model 12 CS inquiry - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 AM
twoplustwo
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Model 12 CS inquiry

Been hankering for my first Model 12 for a while. I dont see many in my area. Found a beauty yesterday, but I am not well researched on them. 1. Was the buttplate blued or CH? Does the .22 RS chambering add or detract from value ? 3. What is the value in 90-95 % all original condition w/out tang sight. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Model 12CS was introduced in 1914. As you already know, the S indicates it was chambered for the .22 Remington Special, which is just a round-pointed version of the Winchester WRF, so either one will work fine in this rifle. I'm pretty sure the buttplate was originally blued steel, but after a long while it can appear to be mottled or case-hardened in appearance.
The book value shows one in 90% condition to be worth about $1,000, but real world pricing is usually somewhat lower. If it has some really nice walnut, it should bring $750-$900.
The .22 RS chambering is worth more to a collector, but as far as shooting it, you'll have to pay quite a bit more for .22 WRF ammo, and you'll have a much harder time locating it (Winchester and CCI make occasional runs of it). The Remington Special ammo hasn't been made for a long time.
Thus, it all boils down to whether you want it to shoot or as an investment.
Based on current market trends, values have flattened or even declined a bit in recent years.
I hope this helps. It's a very fine rifle, quite well-designed, well-made, and very attractive.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:03 PM
twoplustwo
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks a bunch Bill. You always come through! I was worried about whether my perception of falling prices was accurate. I can get this one for 700+tax. Passed again today after nitpicking it some more. Probly should have grabbed it.